PDA

View Full Version : Reuben Houston

mmbt0ne
06-23-2005, 02:48 PM
I haven't been watching SportsCenter, but I assume you've all heard about this. Anyway, just wanted to share my thoughts on the whole thing.

Well, Tech's defense took another big hit when Reuben Houston was arrested by Federal agents for allegedly trying to buy 100 pounds of marijuana. This really sucks, for a lot more reasons than just losing a defensive star.

I went to high school with Reuben, and now go to college with Reuben. When my little brother watched games at Starr's Mill, the only player he wanted to watch was Reuben. And now, whenever he watches a GT game on TV, he's always cheering the hardest for Reuben. He's not going to be able to cheer anymore. Even if Reuben does get off, I have no idea what's going to happen, and it's not really my place to speculate, or give out information, he won't be playing football this fall, or ever again most likely. Worst case scenario, he spends the next 20 years of his life in jail.

The next 20 years. This is a kid who would've been accepted into Georgia Tech even if he had never seen a football. He was brilliant. He did everything he could to take advanced and honors classes through high school, not caring that he might get a lower grade in them, which could hurt his football eligibility. Instead, he excelled in those classes, and became a model student athlete. One of the best football players in Georgia, and one of the best triple jumpers in the country, and here he was taking harder classes than 90% of the students. If you were to look up starting players on football teams with the same kind of reputation as GT (4 national championships, 8 straight bowl games), I can guarantee that Reuben would be in the top 1% of athletes.

I mean, NFLDraftScout.com had him projected to go in the 2nd round of the draft this coming year. He had nowhere to go but up. He was going to be a millionaire in a couple years, and here he got arrested for something that would've made him ~20k.

That's the worst part about it. This is a guy who had everything going for him. He was a hero in Peachtree City. Every parent loved him, and every kid wanted to grow up to be like him. I really don't know what else to say about the whole thing.

I wish you the best 9.