PDA

View Full Version : Hands from the WSOP (Hand #1)

sirio11
06-23-2005, 01:45 PM
I'm going to start posting some hands from the WSOP to generate some discussion. After some discussion, I let you know who were the players involved in the hand.

Hand #1

Event: WSOP#11 $2000 Pot Limit Holdem

2nd level, blinds 25-50, Player A has about 2500 in EP and player B about 1300 in MP.

Player A open-raise to 175, player B calls.

Flop: TJQ Player A checks, player B bets 425, Player A raises the pot, player B calls his last 700 or so all in.

Player A: AK
Player B: AQ

Comments?

ZBTHorton
06-23-2005, 01:47 PM
If I were player A I would have just called his bet. Although in hindsight it worked out for him.

schwza
06-23-2005, 01:48 PM
i think the only thing up for discussion is B's cold call pre-flop. everything else looks standard, especially if the flop is rainbow. i could see B call, fold, or raise depending on what he thought of A.

Roman
06-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Totally read dependent, especially pf. Flop looks fine though.

bruce
06-23-2005, 02:03 PM
I hate the preflop call by player B. Once he calls and bets the flop he pretty much signed his own death certificate. He
probably has enough chips where he ought to be able to fold his
hand on the checkraise. What does he think he is up against?
If I were c/r'ed I would have to think I'm against a flopped set or AK. Poorly played hand.

Bruce

A_PLUS
06-23-2005, 02:09 PM
any descriptions of A & B? Or should be assume unknown styles?

sirio11
06-23-2005, 02:10 PM
I don't like Player B bet in the flop.

sirio11
06-23-2005, 02:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any descriptions of A & B? Or should be assume unknown styles?

[/ QUOTE ]

A and B are pretty good players.

kuro
06-23-2005, 02:11 PM
Obviously reads make a big difference on how you'd play, but I don't like player B's line throughout the whole hand. I really don't like smooth calling with AQ against an ep raise. I also really dislike how big of a bet player A made on the flop. With that board and given a typical range of hands there's just too big of a chance you're up against two pair, a set, or a straight especially given the lack of a continuation bet. So I'd much rather prefer checking behind or betting out 1/2 the pot on the flop.

SossMan
06-23-2005, 02:12 PM
player b's large bet and subsequent all in call is terrible. What hands is he possibly ahead of? Best case scenario is he's tied. The guy raised from EP. If we give him a range of AA-TT, AK, AQ...what hands does he hope he has?

sam h
06-23-2005, 02:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like Player B bet in the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither. It is basically pot committing in a situation in which (a) the other guys play smells like a big hand and (b) when B is ahead the other guy usually has very few outs.

If this is where B makes his stand, he might as well let A bluff a later street with AJ or 88.

AJo Go All In
06-23-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If we give him a range of AA-TT, AK, AQ...

[/ QUOTE ]

if we give him this range then we obviously fold before the flop. given that we called before the flop we must be thinking the range is way wider than this.

SossMan
06-23-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if we give him this range then we obviously fold before the flop. given that we called before the flop we must be thinking the range is way wider than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that the checkraise narrows his range to this. Preflop, I can see maybe 88+ and hands like AJ, KQ....so, we are hoping he has KQ now? That's really the only hand oustide a pure bluff that makes any sort of sense.

johnnybeef
06-23-2005, 02:24 PM
if ep is a solid player, i hate mps line as all hands that a solid player would raise in ep would have mp drawing to 5 cards at best. i check behind on the flop.

dmk
06-23-2005, 02:45 PM
given you provided no reads, B bet too much on the flop, 250-300 is more than enough. he needs to fold to the all-in, he still has 14BB

schwza
06-23-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm saying that the checkraise narrows his range to this. Preflop, I can see maybe 88+ and hands like AJ, KQ....so, we are hoping he has KQ now? That's really the only hand oustide a pure bluff that makes any sort of sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

KJ, KT, T9, 99. admittedly, i don't think they raise preflop often (except maybe 99), but if you only believe his range is 88+ / AJ+ / KQ then hero should fold pre-flop (which is what i would do against a solid player), as AJo said.

given the too-large flop bet, hero is getting almost exactly 3:1 to call the c/r, or 25%. hero is 16% just to hit the gutshot. he has a lot of other outs against two pair / KK. if he's ever ahead, and maybe even if he's not, i think he should call.

a lot of you made good points though - i think that B's play should be to make a half-pot bet and fold to a c/r.

what about A's decision to c/r? i like it.

RavenJackson
06-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Sirio,

I take it the suits were not a factor?

sirio11
06-23-2005, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Sirio,

I take it the suits were not a factor?

[/ QUOTE ]

They were not a factor, the way I remember the hand.

sirio11
06-24-2005, 08:55 AM
The players involved in this hand were

Player A = TJ Cloutier (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=51)

Player B = Scott Fishman (http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=19665)