PDA

View Full Version : Scott Hend

RacersEdge
06-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Know who he is? He's the longest driver on the PGA tour. He's blowing it by Tiger and Hank Kuehne by about 10 yards with a 319.2 average. I hadn't even heard of him.

kyro
06-23-2005, 03:52 PM
And he's probably worse than 100th in driving accuracy, GIR, and Total Putts. This is just a wild assumption, but I doubt I'm too far off considering he's never come close to winning anything has he?

RacersEdge
06-23-2005, 04:46 PM
You're right - I saw his drving accuracy and putting were ranked in the 100's..

offTopic
06-23-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
'Driving Distance-Measured Drvs.' is the average number of yards per measured drive. These drives are measured on two holes per round. Care is taken to select two holes which face in opposite directions to counteract the effects of wind. Drives are measured to the point they come to rest regardless of whether they are in the fairway or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought this was up there among meaningless stats. (Though I wish I consistently hit it as far as Corey Pavin...)

RacersEdge
06-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Well, I'd say being a big hitter is pretty strongly correlated to scoring on the tour. Els, Woods, Sing, Michelson are all big hitters.

BTW, this guy is from Australia and just joined the tour last year - could explain his obscurity.

M2d
06-23-2005, 05:30 PM
rankings:
Driving Distance: 1
Driving accuracy: 189
World Ranking: 242
Scoring Avg: 122
...more of the same

HDPM
06-23-2005, 06:36 PM
there will be better statistical analysis when all the shotlink data are gone through. Apparently the tour isn't giving all of that out and/or the people who are getting the data aren't analyzing it in detail yet. One thing I did read was the strong correlation between going for par 5's and scoring. Not surprising, but it was a major link between the stats and actual results, which are not always apparent. The birdie percentage on par 5's goes way up when these guys go for it, give Vijay or tiger a pitch out of rough even when they mis and the birdie pc goes from like 25% to like 75% or something. I expect the breakdown to get a lot more detailed in the next 5 yrs.

HDPM
06-24-2005, 01:00 PM
shotlink article here (http://www.golfdigest.com/newsandtour/index.ssf?/newsandtour/gw20041224diaz.html)