PDA

View Full Version : Official NBA Game 7 Thread

MarkL444
06-23-2005, 01:28 PM
I believe this is my first ever "official" thread I've made, so if I didn't properly follow any protocol...screw off.

I'm excited. I believe Detroit's going to pull it off tonight. (Bet you didn't see that one coming) They seem focused and determined. SA just seems confused. Either way I'm expecting this game to be much more like games 5 and 6 than games 1-4. Should be a great one to watch.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 01:37 PM
I'll take the Pistons in 7.

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 01:52 PM
This is going to be a great game. I've already stated that I've got Detroit winning this, but San Antonio could definitely prove me wrong. I'm excited to see how this will all play out. It's been an unpredictable series so far.

istewart
06-23-2005, 02:45 PM
I guess I'm rooting for SA, should be a good game though. Maybe if Detroit wins Tayshaun Prince can actually eat something for once.

xadrez
06-23-2005, 02:47 PM
I think Detroit wins this one. Who will be San Antonio's John Starks?

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 03:26 PM
I love how crappy half of the Daily Dime "expert" predictions are. "I picked [this team] to win before the series started, and I'm sticking to it. And that's really the whole basis for my prediction, because it doesn't matter that 6 games have been played since then."

Toro
06-23-2005, 03:41 PM
If the refs let them play as they have, Pistons.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love how crappy half of the Daily Dime "expert" predictions are. "I picked [this team] to win before the series started, and I'm sticking to it. And that's really the whole basis for my prediction, because it doesn't matter that 6 games have been played since then."

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm picking the Pistons because they've won three games and I think they're better.

kyro
06-23-2005, 03:47 PM
It's nice to see unbiased opinions here, unlike when there's a Yankees/Red Sox thread going on and the only evidence 90% of the arguers have to back up their statements is the fact it's "their team." I really can't give a fair opinion because the Spurs are my favorite team after the hometown Celtics, but I'll give one anyways.

Duncan will not let his team lose a game 7.

OrangeBaller
06-23-2005, 03:52 PM
I live in SA so I'm very biased but I think it could go either way. The Zpurs make too many mistakes and miss too many FT's so if it's close they're probably going to be in trouble. I'm jealous because a girl I work with got 2 free tickets from work today. Front row in one of the corners. Face value is $800/each. Why can't it be me?

GO SPURS GO!

holeplug
06-23-2005, 03:54 PM
I honestly have no idea who is going to win. I think either Duncan goes nuts for like 38/22 and like 8 blocks or the Pistons win a close on.

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm picking the Pistons because they've won three games and I think they're better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about the ESPN.com predictions. I'm glad to see that yours reasonable though.

AggieAce
06-23-2005, 04:06 PM
AHHHHH! I'm living in San Antonio right now and it's killing me that i can't get a ticket! I'd love to go, but $200+ per ticket is a little much. Spurs should definately be the favorites and I think they'll win, but Pistons +190 is giving them too much IMO.

yoadrians
06-23-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Detroit wins this one. Who will be San Antonio's John Starks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tony Parker or Manu, if it happens.

As it stands, though, I like S.A. in this one (my three teams - Bucks, TWolves and Heat all are out) at home by about 16.

There's nothing I'd like to see more than the Pistons pulling it out tonight. I love 'Sheed, Wallance and Billups. However, I think Duncan is going to have his best game of the series, and the Spurs will pull away in the first half and it will never be a game in the second half.

Just my two cents...

[censored]
06-23-2005, 05:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll take the Pistons in 7.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so but I just don't see Detroit winning two straight in SA, so I'll take the Spurs.

AngryCola
06-23-2005, 07:15 PM
I already mentioned that I am taking the Spurs in this game.
As a Pistons fan, that's hard to do.
But winning a second game in San Antonio might just be harder. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I completely believe the Pistons could easily win this game, but they have to show me.

9cao
06-23-2005, 07:27 PM
I agree. As much as I want to see a close game with Horry hitting a 3 at the buzzer, I am going to get really specific and say SA 97 - DET 82.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 07:29 PM
I think it'll be a blow-out win for whoever wins it (Pistons). These games that are built up like this never end up actually being close. It's just got the feeling of a blowout. It really could go either way, though. Don't take that as me wavering or hedging - I'm still picking the Pistons.

AngryCola
06-23-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it'll be a blow-out win for whoever wins it (Pistons). These games that are built up like this never end up actually being close. It's just got the feeling of a blowout.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same feeling, but let us hope we are wrong.

Obviously I would be thrilled if the Pistons won in a blowout, but it would be a lot more boring to watch.

BreakfastBurrito
06-23-2005, 07:50 PM
San Antonio 108, Detroit 76

AngryCola
06-23-2005, 08:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
San Antonio 108, Detroit 76

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll give you $25 if this happens.

2+2 wannabe
06-23-2005, 09:00 PM
Detroit 76 San Antonio 71

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 09:06 PM
San Antonio 59
Detroit 55

leading scorer has 8 pts.

SEND IT.

Aytumious
06-23-2005, 09:12 PM
Mini-Ditka: 540
Pistons: -3

The Armchair
06-23-2005, 09:16 PM
SPURS WIN <font color="white"> the tip-off </font>

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 09:21 PM
10-6 Pistons. It's over.

mmbt0ne
06-23-2005, 09:26 PM
I have no horse in this race, but I just wanted to say that every time Carlos Arroyo (who, btw, you can find at www.carlosarroyo.com (http://www.carlosarroyo.com)) slaps the floor with his towel I want to kill him a little bit more.

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Dude, fell the [censored] off, HARD.

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Just a little prediction: Duncan's going to have a big game. Made an early shot, got a big block, and now he's aggressively demanding the ball in the post. Detroit is going to have to play HARD to stop him, because I don't expect him to self destruct again.

cpitt398
06-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Has Lyndsy Hunter made a shot all series? Good Lord they got to have a 3rd option.

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 09:53 PM
Pistons have been missing so many easy shots so far. Hunter is clanking almost everything so far. I don't think he's going to have another heroic performance tonight. Lets go McDeiss!

Edit: Lets call a million fouls ref. That's what everyone wants to see.

mmbt0ne
06-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Seriously, this game is UGLY. Boooorrrrrrriiiiinnnnnggggg.

Also, I believe it was Sports Guy who said they should invent a new stat for Hunter. Basically, it's a ruined offensive posession. Not a turnover, rather an airballed jump shot, or a missed lay-up, or a pass to the guy in the 3rd row.

The more I watch Hunter play, the funnier that observation is.

andyfox
06-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Good if you needed a nap. After two great games, this one has been a yawner so far.

andyfox
06-23-2005, 10:33 PM
San Antonio can't win the way they're playing. They have no offensive movement whatsoever. Standing around like that, they'll get blown out in the second half with Billups back in the line-up.

Detroit by 6.

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 10:50 PM
Detroit is playing against the referees, and winning.

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 10:56 PM
Duncan wakes up a bit, they put Bowen on Billups, and all of a sudden the tide seems to be turning.

[censored]
06-23-2005, 11:09 PM
[censored] lindsay [censored] hunter! /images/graemlins/mad.gif

andyfox
06-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Give Duncan credit. He had no touch, no feel at all, I thought something was wrong with one of his hands, he couldn't even seem to hold onto the ball. But he kept working, working, and put together a nice quarter to get his team back in the game.

Tied at the end of 3. I still like Detroit to pull away.

Edit in the 4th quarter: Oops. See why I don't bet sports?

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Detroit cannot win this game with this lineup. The early ticky tack fouls have killed them. Bowen is shutting Chauncey down (how did it take them so long to make this switch??) and Rip cannot take anyone one on one. They need Rasheed or McDeiss in there with Ben at all times. Having two great big men on Duncan at once has been the only thing keeping him contained. Someone is going to have to step up, and they're going to have to pray that the refs don't decide to continue to decide this game.

Speaking of the refs, they actually made two phantom foul calls on the Spurs in a row, so at least they're horrible on both sides. The officiating has been a joke all series, and it's culminating here.

[censored]
06-23-2005, 11:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Detroit cannot win this game with this lineup. The early ticky tack fouls have killed them. Bowen is shutting Chauncey down (how did it take them so long to make this switch??) and Rip cannot take anyone one on one. They need Rasheed or McDeiss in there with Ben at all times. Having two great big men on Duncan at once has been the only thing keeping him contained. Someone is going to have to step up, and they're going to have to pray that the refs don't decide to continue to decide this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hubie Brown said it. Rasheed must have a good 4th.

Phoenix1010
06-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Why is Detroit not running the baseline double screen for Rip? This is the PERFECT time for it. Rip is not going to get points off that dinky curl, he is not nearly as good a shooter from the elbow as he is from the baseline. And stop making Prince handle the damn ball.

andyfox
06-23-2005, 11:35 PM
I love what Hubie Brown just said: Horry gets a rebound and he says, "Mr. Intangible." It's not an intangible, it's a rebound.

Detroit is now doing too much standing around.

The refs really did stink up this game by calling it much too tight. Too many ticky-tack fouls. How much fun is it watching Manu and Billups sit on the bench most of the first half. That's why the game was so boring the first half, the two most exciting players were not in the game.

[censored]
06-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Spurs are coming huge at every opportunity. 7 points with 2:50 left, it may be over.

Vince Young
06-23-2005, 11:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Victor
06-23-2005, 11:51 PM
billips wtf?!?!?!?!?

2+2 wannabe
06-23-2005, 11:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
billips wtf?!?!?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 wannabe
06-23-2005, 11:52 PM
this might be the worst 4th quarter i've seen by a team in a long time

mikeyvegas
06-23-2005, 11:53 PM
Terrible shot by Billups, terrible D on ginobli...again! This game is over.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 11:54 PM
It's over. Refs win.

mikeyvegas
06-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the fans of detroit and San Antonio have got the be the ugliest in the league.

mmbt0ne
06-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Best sign so far:

"Hey Wallaces...
Pack your Sheed and Fro home"

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the fans of detroit and San Antonio have got the be the ugliest in the league.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good observation.

mikeyvegas
06-23-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The refs really did stink up this game by calling it much too tight. Too many ticky-tack fouls. How much fun is it watching Manu and Billups sit on the bench most of the first half. That's why the game was so boring the first half, the two most exciting players were not in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not have said it better.

tbach24
06-23-2005, 11:58 PM
HAHAHahA was the Euro guy kissing Barry?

Aytumious
06-24-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly. Fortunately many other cultures aren't as homophobic as the US.

AngryCola
06-24-2005, 12:02 AM
I feel sick.

Good game.... I guess.
Great series.

Congrats Spurs fans.

[censored]
06-24-2005, 12:02 AM
Disappointed but I like that the Former champs were in the finals defending their title in game 7. The way it should be.

mikeyvegas
06-24-2005, 12:03 AM
One good thing about the Spurs winning, maybe everyone can get off of Tim Duncan's back. Sports Guy called him the best power foward ever. I may not agree with that, but he is at least top 3 and deserves more respect than sports hacks calling him a choke artist.

andyfox
06-24-2005, 12:04 AM
79-74, try to miss it, no?

andyfox
79-73, try to miss it, no?

[censored]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. Fortunately the US is more homophobic than other countries. I don't need to be worrying about some dude planting one me in leau of a high five!

vulturesrow
[ QUOTE ]
One good thing about the Spurs winning, maybe everyone can get off of Tim Duncan's back. Sports Guy called him the best power foward ever. I may not agree with that, but he is at least top 3 and deserves more respect than sports hacks calling him a choke artist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who denigrates Tim Duncan is a complete hack in my book. I am not a Spurs fan at all but I have always been impressed by Tim Duncan, reaching right back to his days at Wake.

PhatTBoll
06-24-2005, 12:07 AM
Sweet Jesus, they did it. Duncan shuts up the haters and gets his third ring. I love it.

Good series, Pistons.

Aytumious
06-24-2005, 12:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. Fortunately the US is more homophobic than other countries. I don't need to be worrying about some dude planting one me in leau of a high five!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if your a player you'll probably get an ass slap out of it. The US likes to keep its sexuality thinly veiled like that.

Anyway, congrats to the Spurs. They are an excellent team and I really like their players. Best run franchise in the NBA.

istewart
06-24-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
79-73, try to miss it, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, seems like the move to make.

Very good game all around. Tight calls at the beginning, though, for sure.

istewart
06-24-2005, 12:15 AM
I really liked Barry in this series, BTW. At least it was more fun to watch than Parker missing SHOT AFTER SHOT AFTER SHOT.

mmbt0ne
06-24-2005, 12:21 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
I really liked Barry in this series, BTW. At least it was more fun to watch than Parker missing SHOT AFTER SHOT AFTER SHOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Next year, Parker and Hunter should go 1 on 1 in 7 games of HORSE for the title.

PIG if that takes too long.

AngryCola
06-24-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
79-74, try to miss it, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

It was beginning to get close to the time you would purposely miss a free throw, but there was still enough time... barely.

Phoenix1010
06-24-2005, 01:10 AM
Ugh. I really want to write a long essay on what exactly happened in this game. I'll try to keep this short, feel free to skip it.

There were two interacting factors that mattered much more than anything else in determining this entire series, and especially this game (and any important game in any sport): confidence, and momentum. The Spurs' most important players have had almost zero confidence since game 2. The reason for this had been Detroit's suffocating five man team defense. They did not let them get anything easy, did not let them get going, did not let them get any momentum, and they did this constantly and successfully for 4 and a half games.

The absolute key to this was always Duncan. The Spurs go as Duncan goes. Detroit made sure to always either have Rasheed (one of the only players in the league who can shut Duncan down one on one) or a combination of Wallace/McDeiss on Duncan at all times. He simply could not beat this defensive scheme. He could not get going, he lost his confidence, he couldn't gain any momentum, the team fell flat.

Then look what happened in the third quarter. A few terrible first half calls mixed with some reasonable third quarter ones, and Rasheed and McDeiss both get into serious foul trouble at the same time. Brown sits them both and tries to go small for a few minutes, playing Prince at the 4, and playing Wallace one on one with Duncan. That was the only window of opportunity Duncan needed. Ben Wallace's strength is his help defense, and Prince's is his on the ball defense. This combination had no chance of keeping Duncan contained. Duncan scores a few buckets, realizes that these guys can't stop him, and although he doesn't take over the game right there, he gets his confidence back. He scores some buckets, he gets more aggressive, he demands double teams, and he involves his teammates.

All of a sudden the floor opens up, Duncan starts making better decisions, starts running the offense from the post, spotting open teammates and opening up driving lanes for Ginobli. He starts playing like an MVP again, and the team rallies around it's leader. Ginobli and the rest start taking advantage of the momentum that Duncan has created, the crowd goes bananas, and Detroit is on it's heels. Even when Detroit's best team comes back, it's too late; the mental dominance that they had worked so hard to create is gone, and the Spurs are playing like the team we saw in the first two games. The momentum is squarely in the hands of the other team. Rip Hamilton plays the rest of the game with both hands around his neck, Chauncey runs into a brick wall named Bowen (the real MVP of this series I tell you. Btw, if Pop had kept him on Rip in the fourth, the Pistons would have won this game, Chauncey is that good), and Rasheed can't do it all by himself.

That third quarter window was the absolute turning point in this series. Detroit had this game in hand until that point. They were literally forced to let their guard down, and a sleeping giant awoke. Yes Duncan came alive, but he only came alive because he was handed that opportunity to get his head on straight. Too many ifs in this game, but there's one thing I'm sure of: if those first half touch fouls don't get called, Detroit wins this game, handily. Still, it ended up being a great game, and a great series. I'm sure David Stern is happy that the more exciting team won.

andyfox
06-24-2005, 02:17 AM
I thought Pop was going to kill him when he fouled Hamilton driving to the basket for a concession shot near the end.

AngryCola
06-24-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the more exciting team won.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm definitely in the minority, because I feel Detroit was the more exciting team.

The Spurs have always bored me.