PDA

View Full Version : Calling with KQo preflop

ElAnimal
06-23-2005, 01:04 PM
It was a loose table. Not that I think it matters much in this hand but SB is 41/10/2 after 70 hands.

Mostly my question is about calling w/ unsuited AQ, AJ AT, KQ, KJ, KT, QJ in late position after a bunch of limpers. I believe I read in SSHE that since these hands lose a lot of value with lots of limpers (some hands more than others obviously) that you're sometimes better off not raising with them when the field gets big in front of you. Plus, when you do hit a pair on the flop, some of the weaker draws won't have the inflated pot odds to call, especially if you get the chance to raise a bet from late position.

I don't see many posts where players take this approach. These are good preflop hands in great position so heroes raise. Does anyone believe calling in these spots has merit?

I did it here, but it's arguable whether or not the field was big enough to try it. If anybody also spots a problem on the other streets, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (7 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 folds, MP3 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

River: (11 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 13 BB

Super Pro
06-23-2005, 01:09 PM
boring hand

Entity
06-23-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone believe calling in these spots has merit?

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling in this spot has a lot of merit. I tend to raise with more suited cards, and I'd raise if I were MP3 or CO to get the Button here (as my hand is good enough to raise, but I'd really love the benefit of acting last), but since you've already got that Button, limping is fine.

Postflop is perfect.

Rob

shermn27
06-23-2005, 01:14 PM
I apologize b/c I know this post has little to do with the thread, but I continually see stuff like "SB is 41/10/2" and I am not sure what this means. I know it has something to do with looseness (and maybe aggressiveness) but could someone please explain it to me. Thanks.

brettbrettr
06-23-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
boring hand

[/ QUOTE ]

But well played. KQs I'd raise it up. Here, you're overlay is really minimal so there's no sense bloating the pot. You also have the button--in the CO, you could make an argument for buying it.

NH.

ElAnimal
06-23-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I apologize b/c I know this post has little to do with the thread, but I continually see stuff like "SB is 41/10/2" and I am not sure what this means. I know it has something to do with looseness (and maybe aggressiveness) but could someone please explain it to me. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're poker tracker stats
41 VPIP%
10 preflop raise%
2 postflop aggression factor.

If you don't know what these mean go to the poker tracker forum.