PDA

View Full Version : Playing a tourney without looking at my cards

Vee Quiva
06-23-2005, 12:06 PM
I had been frustrated recently in live and online tournaments because I felt like I just didn't get enough playable hands before the blinds ate me alive. In order to loosen myself up and to prove a point, I decided to play a small buy in tournament without looking at my cards.

I jumped into a 3 table $5 buy in NL Holdem tournament on Party Poker last night. As soon as I was seated, I taped a small piece of paper over my avatar and my cards.

My basic strategy was to only play hands in late position or in the blinds. If it was folded to me, I would open raise. I would also punish limpers and look for opportunities to run the Harrington squeeze play. If the hand made it to the flop, I would vary my play. If checked to, I would almost always bet. If I was bet into, sometimes I would fold, sometimes I would call, and sometimes I would raise. Usually I would pick a really good possible hand on the board and just play like I had it.

Surprisingly for a small buy in tournament hardly ever did anyone play back at me. I chipped up consistently at every level and with 12 players left, I was in 4th place in chips.

At this point, I became too curious and took the paper off the screen and started playing my cards. I tried to play with the same strategy and I did for the most part. I ended up winning the whole tournament.

This is an open challenge to the other 2+2'ers. Go ahead and pick a small buy in event and give it a try. I would love to hear how others did. I think it will be an educational experience. Obviously it proves the point that you don't always need good cards to win at this game.

other1
06-23-2005, 12:23 PM
There was a thread a while back where someone talked about playing $5 SNGs on party by just going all in every hand. I think it took something like 7 tries, but eventuall they won one.

In B&M play I think this idea has a lot more merit. I expect, say, Johnny Chan, could beat a lot of players without ever looking at his cards and just playing the opponents. Online I think it's a lot more pure luck because you don't have as much to go on, and you are very likely to get callers in almost any situation.

A_PLUS
06-23-2005, 12:43 PM
I really like the idea. I think it is losing money short term, but it forces you to really analyze players and recognize high F.E. situations.

Vee Quiva
06-23-2005, 12:46 PM
I had seen the other posts on the all in on every hand and that is interesting as well. The problem is that it doesn't improve your playing skill at all. If everyone else at the table knows your strategy, they will account for it.

I think playing blind can still give the illusion that you are playing normally to everyone else.

I feel that playing blind will help you see the benefits of position and selective aggression.

autobet
06-23-2005, 12:48 PM
Take it one step further and cover the board cards.

Pure position and aggression...Pure poker where the cards don't matter.

schwza
06-23-2005, 12:49 PM
did you win any showdowns blind?

Vee Quiva
06-23-2005, 02:21 PM
I cheated and peeked a couple of times. One time I raised preflop and was called. Bet on the flop and was called again. The turn card put three to a straight on the board. It was checked to me again. This time I peeked and I had the open end broadway straight draw with Queen-3. I semi bluffed the turn and was called. The river gave me the straight. My opponent check folded.

I really only made it to showdown a couple of times. Both times I had nothing and it probably got me more play later in the tournament.

Matador225
06-23-2005, 02:49 PM
I think autobet took it a little too far lol. "Pure position and aggression...Pure poker where the cards don't matter." Very interesting post and i think that it definitely can help you in the long run in terms of selective aggression.

Percula
06-23-2005, 03:15 PM
I will often employ this in short handed situations, e.g. on the bubble when the tables are not balanced yet, on the final table when down to 4 or 5.

The key for me is to have an excellent read on my situation and to be able to redefine it. And to have enough of a stack to get nailed if I run into a big hand and still come back.