PDA

View Full Version : Did I blow it?

Steve
01-25-2003, 03:13 PM
Hello all,
I am a decent limit player, but my No Limit skills are poor. I played in a NL tourney online the other night and this situation came up which I'd like some advice on.
10 players, one player named "Joe" really owned the table. Was obviously a good NL player, was taking down a bunch of pots but nobody had the guts to stop him.

Pre-flop: I was dealt T /forums/images/icons/heart.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/heart.gif from LP. $10/$20 blinds. When the action got to me I was first in and made it $40. The small blind, who was "Joe", was the only caller. I had about $250 and Joe had $600.

Flop: 4 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 5 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif T /forums/images/icons/spade.gif . Joe checks, I bet $40, he check-raises me $40, and I call.

Turn: 7 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif . Joe goes all-in, and I fold (even though almost 1/2 my money was in the pot already).

These are the kinds of pots he was winning all day. Can I call with a poor top pair and a gut-shot? Did I fall for one of his "moves", meaning:
a) He knew I was a weak player.
b) He knew I was afraid of him.
c) By not re-raising him on the flop, I probably showed weakness, and he figured the odds of me calling an all-in bet on the turn were minimal.

Can anyone tell me how they would have played this? Thanks in advance.

Steve

ohkanada
01-25-2003, 10:19 PM
You should post tourney questions in the tourney forum not the live NL/PL forum!

How I would have played is easy. I would have folded pre-flop! If I chose to play I would have made it 70 to go preflop. Bet more on the flop.

In your case he could have almost any 2 cards since you raised so small so his CR is scary. At that point you need to decide if you want to play the hand out. If you do then either call or raise, otherwise fold.

Ken Poklitar