PDA

View Full Version : ESPN NBA Mock Draft III

DukeSucks
06-23-2005, 09:48 AM
Since this is an insider column, does anyone have this that they want to post?

Thanks

xadrez
06-23-2005, 10:23 AM
Insider kind of makes it hard to cut/paste articles...is there a team you want to know about? I can take a look and let you know

DukeSucks
06-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Don't laugh, but I'm in NC, so mostly the Bobcats. Really the top 13 picks, as they are considering moving around some.
Also, McCants quit halfway through their workout...has he dropped out of the first round yet?

Thanks

xadrez
06-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Theyre saying McCants is staying in the 1st round, but they project him to be going late to the Kings.

As for the Bobcats, Insider is saying they are trying to move up via a trade with Portland so they can take either Paul, Derron Williams, or Marvin Williams. As is stands, the Mock is showing them taking Granger at 5, and Felton at 13.

The article says its pretty much a lock that Portland trades its pick with Utah, Charlotte, Lakers, Hawks, and Raptors all involved in the bidding...

DukeSucks
06-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks

Soul Daddy
06-23-2005, 10:56 AM
1. MILWAUKEE BUCKS - Andrew Bogut
2. ATLANTA HAWKS - Marvin Williams
3. PORTLAND TRAIL BLAZERS - Chris Paul
4. NEW ORLEANS HORNETS - Deron Williams
5. CHARLOTTE BOBCATS - Danny Granger
6. UTAH JAZZ - Channing Frye
7. TORONTO RAPTORS - Gerald Green
8. NEW YORK KNICKS - Fran Vazquez
9. GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - Ike Diogu
10. LOS ANGELES LAKERS - Martell Webster
11. ORLANDO MAGIC - Sean May
12. LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS - Yaroslav Korolev
13. CHARLOTTE BOBCATS - Raymond Felton
14. MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES - Antoine Wright
15. NEW JERSEY NETS - Hakim Warrick
16. TORONTO RAPTORS - Andrew Bynum
17. INDIANA PACERS - Martynas Andriuskevicius
18. BOSTON CELTICS - Joey Graham
19. MEMPHIS GRIZZLIES - Julius Hodge
20. DENVER NUGGETS - Ersan Ilyasova
21. PHOENIX SUNS - Johan Petro
22. DENVER NUGGETS - Francisco Garcia
23. SACRAMENTO KINGS - Rashad McCants
24. HOUSTON ROCKETS - Wayne Simien
25. SEATTLE SUPERSONICS - Jarrett Jack
26. DETROIT PISTONS - Ryan Gomes
27. UTAH JAZZ - Roko Ukic
28. SAN ANTONIO SPURS - Charlie Villanueva
29. MIAMI HEAT - Mile Ilic
30. NEW YORK KNICKS - Andray Blatche

Other first-round possibilities: - Chris Taft, Randolph Morris, Monta Ellis, Luther Head, David Lee, Kennedy Winston, Nate Robinson, Ronny Turiaf, Matt Walsh, Linas Kleiza, Mickael Gelabale, Jason Maxiell, C. J. Miles, Louis Williams

trevorwc
06-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Who the F is Antoine Wright?

Soul Daddy
06-23-2005, 01:26 PM
TEXAS A&M | JUNIOR | SHOOTING GUARD

Draft Projection: Late lottery

Similarities: Joe Johnson

Notes: Wright rebounded from a horrific sophomore season, averaging 17.8 ppg and 6.0 rpg on 44.7 percent from 3-point range for the Aggies. He looked like he was a lock for the lottery after an amazing freshman season for the Aggies. However, his numbers dropped across the board as he shot just 36 percent from the field and 29 percent from the 3-point arc as a soph.

Positives: Wright is a good athlete who (too often) has his game compared to Tracy McGrady's. Wright handles the rock great for a 6-foot-7 foot player, sees the floor well and just has an overall good feel for the game. He improved his perimeter shooting dramatically this season. In a recent workout in NY, he looked like he'd really added some definition to his body.

Negatives: Scouts still wonder about his head a bit after he fell apart last season. Is a poor free throw shooter for a guard, though he improved to 69 percent from the line this past season.

Summary: This year, Wright seems to have regained his shooting stroke and his confidence. He should fare very well in workouts. Scouts have him anywhere from the late lottery pick into the mid-first round.

[censored]
06-23-2005, 05:46 PM
wait what? They have the Lakers taking a SG. WTF?

Soul Daddy
06-23-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that seems rather silly. Here's the excerpt:

"There is talk, a lot of talk, that the Lakers have promised high school center Andrew Bynum that they'll take him if they keep their pick. Bynum sure looks like Shaq, and he's worked out well, but it's just a little too much to believe right now. It would be years before Phil Jackson would give him a whiff of playing time. Until we get to the bottom of the Bynum stuff, we're moving Felton out and Webster in. With Jackson running the show, the Lakers are going to need a big shooter. Webster is the best on the board. Think of him as a young Glen Rice."

Aytumious
06-23-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a hard time believing the Lakers would let Felton get by. Phil prefers bigger point guards, but Pax and BJ worked out fine and Felton would be a huge addition to that team.

Also, Chad Ford gives some great info, but sometimes he's just flat out wrong. During last college basketball season and even into this season he was talking about Taft as a top 3 pick which I've always thought was completely ridiculous. I'm glad he finally stopped that nonsense.

contentless
06-23-2005, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it written by Chad Ford?

I'm more inclined to trust the draftniks over on nbadraft.net. Plus it really looks like the Celts have given a promise to Roko Ukic (who looks like a stud).

tbach, check out celticsblog.com.

UOPokerPlayer
06-23-2005, 10:08 PM
So the Blazers trade down to #5 what do they get in addition? Who are they gonna take? I kind of think Gerald Green, but the GM didn't like that he refused to work out with other players. We're all about drafting character guys now. I don't know who else they'd go with, looks like they should've waited one more year to draft a PG, (though Telfair surprised me last year).

Blackjack
06-24-2005, 08:47 AM
DAMNIT we want Chris Paul (Celtics)

Blackjack

Blackjack
06-24-2005, 08:47 AM
And who honestly thinks Diogu is better than May?

B Dids
06-26-2005, 04:36 AM
Anybody on the west coast?

bugstud
06-26-2005, 05:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Anybody on the west coast?

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone with a tv?

llabb
06-26-2005, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone should be aware that Lakers' GM Mitch Kupchak is absolutely horrible. The Lakers are liable to do something utterly stupid at any time. I believe Kupchak is currently the worst GM in the league. There are some plenty of other horrible GM's out there, but Kupchak takes the prize.

bugstud
06-26-2005, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone should be aware that Lakers' GM Mitch Kupchak is absolutely horrible. The Lakers are liable to do something utterly stupid at any time. I believe Kupchak is currently the worst GM in the league. There are some plenty of other horrible GM's out there, but Kupchak takes the prize.

[/ QUOTE ]

kobe is gone, at least all indications lead towards that idea.

Phoenix1010
06-26-2005, 01:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What indications?

tbach24
06-26-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
DAMNIT we want Chris Paul (Celtics)

Blackjack

[/ QUOTE ]

NO WE DON'T!!

We have Banks and Delonte, I'm satisfied with those two at PG. I want Graham. Kid is easily the most athletic in the draft and he can play. I also love Hakim.

tbach24
06-26-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was it written by Chad Ford?

I'm more inclined to trust the draftniks over on nbadraft.net. Plus it really looks like the Celts have given a promise to Roko Ukic (who looks like a stud).

tbach, check out celticsblog.com.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do, TY.

Edit- from the blog:

This phenomenon is a yearly occurrence and is happening as we speak. Once surefire early first round picks such as Monta Ellis, Jarret Jack and Chris Taft have to hope they'll be selected in the first round. Channing Frye, Roko Ukic and Yaroslav Karolev, on the other hand, are all now being talked about as good shots for the lottery.

Why does this happen? For one thing, many team officials will give high praise to players their club has no intention of drafting in an attempt to fool teams with higher picks into allowing a desired player to slide down in the draft. Say what you want about this process, but I think we can all agree that a smokescreen like this would fool Isiah Thomas just about every time, and as long as he's in charge of the Knicks, many teams will be picking after New York.

llabb
06-26-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What indications?

[/ QUOTE ]

No real indications. Perhaps a bogus post, playing off the Kupchak is an idiot concept?

Btw, you Celts fans should hope Pierce gets traded. You have no shot at a championship with him, but would simply be a perennial playoff team struggling to make the second round. If the deal for Portland's 3rd pick went down, and if prep sensation Gerald Green did turn out to be anything close to the next McGrady, which he's being billed as, you'd have promising young guys to build around, with Jefferson, Banks, West, Allen, and Green, plus some good role players in Blount and Davis. Add enough cap room now available to attract a superstar, and you have a possible contender in a few years.

Clarkmeister
06-26-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you'd have promising young guys to build around, with Jefferson, Banks, West, Allen, and Green, plus some good role players in Blount and Davis. Add enough cap room now available to attract a superstar, and you have a team that could finish second to the Bulls for a long time, which is nice considering the morass that has been called Celtic Basketball for a while now .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/cool.gif

llabb
06-26-2005, 05:53 PM
Considering the bias of the poster, I'll take that as confirmation that the Celts would indeed be a team to fear, if they did what I said. Being the Boston GM shouldn't be tough. Trade Pierce, rebuild, look good doing it next year since the East still sucks (outside the top 3), and throw money at an All-Star after that.

Postscripts: I agree that the Bulls could be very good in '08. Celtic Basketball indeed has been a morass. If they do what I say, they'll be lessass and moregud.

Clarkmeister
06-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Celtics should indeed be good. Them, the Bulls and Cavs will be fun to watch. The Pacers still have a pretty good core too. Miami has a 2-year window, tops.

llabb
06-26-2005, 06:38 PM
Looks like we agree then. Detroit and Indy are the now. Bulls, Wiz, possibly Celts and Cavs are the future. Miami has a short window and needs to sign a third star, or at least someone Tayshaun Prince level at a minimum. Otherwise they are overrated imho. Posted about it in the '06 NBA champions thread, just don't see them beating Det or Indy next year.

[censored]
06-26-2005, 07:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NO.

bugstud
06-26-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What indications?

[/ QUOTE ]

no one in the NBA is untouchable, last year should have illustrated that nicely. I'm just saying that it could be in the cards given this working out of a lot of SG's, Phil's rehire and other random rumblings and crap you get from ESPN. If Buss/Phil/Kupchak think that they can't win with him, I imagine he's dealt. Depends on how the SF situation shakes out.

Clarkmeister
06-26-2005, 07:42 PM
There's like no chance Kobe doesn't play at least the next 3 years in LA. C'mon now.

Phoenix1010
06-26-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There's like no chance Kobe doesn't play at least the next 3 years in LA. C'mon now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. It's fun to think about though. Who the hell do you trade the guy you just handed your franchise to for? Maybe they can trade him for Dwyane Wade /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

llabb
06-26-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that it could be in the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice combination. Please figure out whether you want to (1) exaggerate or (2) guess, before you post next time.

[censored]
06-26-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course. It's fun to think about though. Who the hell do you trade the guy you just handed your franchise to for? Maybe they can trade him for Dwyane Wade /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Laker fan.

I was talking about this with friend and we both came to the conclusion that he is basically untradable if the Lakers want equal value.

You can rule out the likes of Duncan, Garnett, James as their teams would never make such a deal. I think McGrady also enters this group and last season.

The Lakers could get guys like Pierce, Iverson and Francis but they would never make that deal.

The one name I can come up with is Carmello Anthony but I don't see why this trade would make any sense.

Another possibility would be Dirk Nowitzski.

bugstud
06-26-2005, 08:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Laker fan.

I was talking about this with friend and we both came to the conclusion that he is basically untradable if the Lakers want equal value.

You can rule out the likes of Duncan, Garnett, James as their teams would never make such a deal. I think McGrady also enters this group and last season.

The Lakers could get guys like Pierce, Iverson and Francis but they would never make that deal.

The one name I can come up with is Carmello Anthony but I don't see why this trade would make any sense.

Another possibility would be Dirk Nowitzski.

[/ QUOTE ]

shaq didn't get equal value either...but that didn't stop them.

bugstud
06-26-2005, 08:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just saying that it could be in the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice combination. Please figure out whether you want to (1) exaggerate or (2) guess, before you post next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

both with a side of gossip?

Phoenix1010
06-26-2005, 08:54 PM
This is all conjecture, and it's 98% likely that none of it will happen, but I do think it's interesting.

No one player trade for Kobe will make sense. They can't trade him for a guard, because, put simply, Kobe is THE best guard in the league (except for Lebron, who is all but untouchable). Everyone is finding out that you can't build a team around a shooting guard unless his name is Michael Jordan, and trading the number 1 guard in the league for another failed attempt at a franchise player would just not make sense. McGrady, Pierce, Iverson, Carter, and all the rest are just lesser versions of Kobe, and no one has built a championship franchise around any of them.

You also can't trade him for a forward/center, because big men in the NBA are orders of magnitude more important to winning franchises, and every GM in the league is well aware of that fact. LA would have to take a much lower quality player in return for Kobe to ever get a one for one trade for a big man.

A trade for Dirk is an interesting idea, but again, Dirk has still not won a ring, despite having much stronger supporting casts than the Lakers will be able to field in the forseeable future. I just don't see it working out.

What would make sense is a trade for a few high quality players (particularly a point guard) and some draft picks. Again, I don't think it will happen, but if they want to make a trade, I think they'd be best off going the Detroit or Chicago route (get strong players at all positions, rather than put your fate in the hands of one guy).

[censored]
06-26-2005, 09:30 PM
Nowhere near comparable situations.

[censored]
06-26-2005, 09:34 PM
What about to the Knicks for Marbury one or both of the Thomas's and NY first round picks for the foreseeble future?

bugstud
06-26-2005, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is all conjecture, and it's 98% likely that none of it will happen, but I do think it's interesting.

No one player trade for Kobe will make sense. They can't trade him for a guard, because, put simply, Kobe is THE best guard in the league (except for Lebron, who is all but untouchable). Everyone is finding out that you can't build a team around a shooting guard unless his name is Michael Jordan, and trading the number 1 guard in the league for another failed attempt at a franchise player would just not make sense. McGrady, Pierce, Iverson, Carter, and all the rest are just lesser versions of Kobe, and no one has built a championship franchise around any of them.

You also can't trade him for a forward/center, because big men in the NBA are orders of magnitude more important to winning franchises, and every GM in the league is well aware of that fact. LA would have to take a much lower quality player in return for Kobe to ever get a one for one trade for a big man.

A trade for Dirk is an interesting idea, but again, Dirk has still not won a ring, despite having much stronger supporting casts than the Lakers will be able to field in the forseeable future. I just don't see it working out.

What would make sense is a trade for a few high quality players (particularly a point guard) and some draft picks. Again, I don't think it will happen, but if they want to make a trade, I think they'd be best off going the Detroit or Chicago route (get strong players at all positions, rather than put your fate in the hands of one guy).

[/ QUOTE ]

the one random espn article had the idea that seems to work best, trading him back to The Logo for Pau Gasol except the Base Year stuff doesn't work out, but I imagine it'd be that quality of a big man coming in return.

Phoenix1010
06-26-2005, 11:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about to the Knicks for Marbury one or both of the Thomas's and NY first round picks for the foreseeble future?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would trade my left nut to see this happen, but it'd be a terrible trade for LA, and Isiah Thomas is incapable of getting the better end of trades. Marbury is a loser. When I said point guard, I meant more along the lines of Jason Kidd or Mike Bibby.

Edit: or Jamal Tinsley. I think some kind of trade with Indiana might be the way to go for LA. Sacremento is also another candidate, since they've basically already gutted a winning franchise and might as well finish the job.

bugstud
06-27-2005, 12:25 AM
so you're talking like bender/foster/tinsley?

Aytumious
06-27-2005, 03:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Laker GM would be shot in the street if he did a trade like this.

bugstud
06-27-2005, 04:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well oneal isn't going to LA, so who else? artest?

Aytumious
06-27-2005, 04:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well oneal isn't going to LA, so who else? artest?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I don't think Kobe is going to be traded. But if he is they will at least have to get one allstar type player out of the deal, and another with a high ceiling.

Despite the apparent PJ and Kobe feud, I really think they both realize that them being together is the best possible scenario. I'm sure Kobe better appreciates that after last season. I expect Kobe to have an MVP type season this year.

I would also like to add that I think it is clear Kobe wants to prove that he can win a championship sans Shaq in LA. I think he also realizes for him to do that he needs to have a coach who he trusts has the capability to make that happen and I think Phil is that guy. If any coach has proven he can command respect from the best players ever, it is PJ. Also, it was pretty clear last year Kobe didn't respect Rudy T.

bugstud
06-27-2005, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, it was pretty clear last year Kobe didn't respect Rudy T.

[/ QUOTE ]

which just blows my friggin mind

Aytumious
06-27-2005, 12:03 PM
Since we are on the topic of the draft, was anyone else blown away by Bogut's 33 inch vertical when he measures out at 7' in shoes and weighs 250 pounds? That's really just sick, IMO.

Chicago Predraft Combine Results
Name: Vertical Jump
Andrew Bogut: 33 1/2"
Marvin Williams: 35"
Gerald Green: 39"
Luther Head: 38 1/2"
Chris Paul: 38 1/2"
Deron Williams: 35"
Ray Felton: 33 1/2" (not a typo--same as Bogut)
Sean May: 33"
Channing Frye: 31"
Martell Webster: 30 1/2"
Julius Hodge: 29"
Wayne Simien: 27 1/2"

llabb
06-27-2005, 03:05 PM
I thought you guys were just having fun, so I kept quiet. But it appears that some people really think there is a small chance that Kobe is on the block to be traded. There is virtually NO CHANCE that happens. Not 1% chance, not 2% chance, but virtually NONE. We're not even talking 0.1%. More like 0.01%, which is several orders of magnitude lower than some of you seem to think.

The main reasons Shaq was traded were money and because the Lakers already committed to KOBE AS THEIR CENTERPIECE and were scared he would leave. Keeping Kobe was the priority, even if that meant running off Shaq.

This discussion is silly; it would be far more interesting to debate actual trade rumors and possibilities.

Phoenix1010
06-27-2005, 03:27 PM
It's already been stated multiple times that there is almost no chance that Kobe will be traded, call it whatever percentage you'd like. I don't think anyone has deluded themselves into thinking it's a possibility. It's fun to talk about hypotheticals sometimes too.

llabb
06-28-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you'd have promising young guys to build around, with Jefferson, Banks, West, Allen, and Green, plus some good role players in Blount and Davis. Add enough cap room now available to attract a superstar, and you have a team that could finish second to the Bulls for a long time, which is nice considering the morass that has been called Celtic Basketball for a while now .

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Boston lucked out, and Green slipped to them at 18.

Clark, your Bulls are gonna have some fierce competition in '08 and '09.