PDA

View Full Version : China taking over the world

KaneKungFu123
06-23-2005, 09:17 AM
How does the American public feel about having our companies being taken over by the Chinesse?

superleeds
06-23-2005, 09:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How does the American public feel about having our companies being taken over by the Chinesse

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean how does the American public feel about having multi-nationals being taken over by other multi-nationals?

Arnfinn Madsen
06-23-2005, 09:29 AM
I think that multinationals operate similarly no matter of nationality of the owners.

RicktheRuler
06-23-2005, 10:52 AM
This is a little off topic, so I apologize if I set this discussion in the wrong discussion. I was talking with an Asian friend of mine the other day about a variety of subjects and we began talking about asians living in America.

He basically suggested to me, that there is sort of an unspoken understanding between asians living in America. Essentially, they are determined to live in America as parasites. He said that Asians come to America to profit from our free education and capitalism, but make every effort not to "give back" to the good 'ol USA. They do this by working almost exclusively with other asian companies--or if they work for a large corporation they spend as much is possible within there own community. I have lived in a variety of places throughout the country and in every single one of them there was an area filled with primarily asian businesses and residents. He went on to say that the most America will get from them is a "Sambo like smile" and some chicken fried rice. Yes, he was a little intoxicated, but nonetheless sincere.

I am doing a real poor job of explaining this, but I think you guys are smart enough to see what he was saying.

Any thoughts on this?

KaneKungFu123
06-23-2005, 10:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think that multinationals operate similarly no matter of nationality of the owners.

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe i dont understand this enough. ill have to read more.

adios
06-23-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a little off topic, so I apologize if I set this discussion in the wrong discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

A little off topic? This certainly qualifies as the understatement of the day on this forum. Probably the week, maybe the month and maybe even for 2005. Why not another thread instead of muddying up this one? I realize you were being apologetic but I see no reason whatsoever to hijack this thread.

RicktheRuler
06-23-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A little off topic? This certainly qualifies as the understatement of the day on this forum. Probably the week, maybe the month and maybe even for 2005. Why not another thread instead of muddying up this one? I realize you were being apologetic but I see no reason whatsoever to hijack this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

The understatement of 2005. Get a grip pal. His post reminded me of a discussion I just had with a friend of mine and thought I would post it for the sake of discussion.

What do you think muddies up a thread more:

A) Me, posting an off topic response in a thread

or

B) You posting an overzealous attempt to show everyone how good you would be as a forum moderator. Maybe one day, just one day, you too will have your name in green.

Get a life sir.

adios
06-23-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The understatement of 2005. Get a grip pal. His post reminded me of a discussion I just had with a friend of mine and thought I would post it for the sake of discussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

What precludes you from starting another thread on this topic? Why would you be reluctant to do so?

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think muddies up a thread more:

A) Me, posting an off topic response in a thread

or

B) You posting an overzealous attempt to show everyone how good you would be as a forum moderator. Maybe one day, just one day, you too will have your name in green.

Get a life sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

Part B is a higly subjective viewpoint. Nonetheless part A. You're the one that attempted to hijack the thread not me. Why don't you simply start another thread?

Felix_Nietsche
06-23-2005, 11:22 AM
How does the American public feel about having our companies being taken over by the Chinesse?
Yawn.....history is repeating itself.
Back in the 1980s, Japan was flush with money and they went on a buying spree in the USA buying US companies and famous buildings. And what happen? The USA sellers sold them these companies/buildings for HUGE profits and the Japanese took a HUGE BATH on these investments.

The winners were the Americans who sold these assets. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cyrus
06-23-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How does the American public feel about having [American] companies being taken over by Chinese?

[/ QUOTE ]

Define "American companies", please.

Established in America?
Majority of Americans in payroll?
Factories in America?
Doing business in America mostly?
Paying taxes in America?
American shareholders?
American managers?

jcx
06-23-2005, 12:27 PM
The proposed purchases of Maytag and Unocal, neither one an industry leader, are hardly proof that China is taking over the world. Nevertheless, I think investments like these should be encouraged. US corporations have invested tens of billions in China building factories, establishing distribution networks, etc. Seeing some of that money come back across the Pacific is a welcome development.

There is another issue to consider. China is a rising power both economically and militarily. They will no doubt want to flex some of that muscle in the future. Many of their possible targets are nations that have their security either directly or indirectly guaranteed by the US - this could well lead to a day of reckoning in the Sino-US relationship. The saving grace on that day may be that each nation has a gigantic amount of money invested in the other and is loath to lose it.

sam h
06-23-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Back in the 1980s, Japan was flush with money and they went on a buying spree in the USA buying US companies and famous buildings. And what happen? The USA sellers sold them these companies/buildings for HUGE profits and the Japanese took a HUGE BATH on these investments.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not a good comparision, nor is it really correct. For one, the underlying fundamentals of the Chinese economy are much different than the Japanese one during its ascendance. Second, Japanese investors did not necessarily take a bath on American properties. It was domestic properties in Japan that plummetted, causing many firms/individuals in Japan to be unable to repay loans, many of which were taken out for the purpose of purchasing foreign assets. In fact, buying real estate in New York or US equities during the late 80s probably looks pretty good in retrospect!

tek
06-23-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How does the American public feel about having oil companies being taken over by the Chinesse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not thrilled since China needs mucho oil for their economic growth.

I'll let DarthIgnurnt elaborate...

DarthIgnurnt
06-23-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The winners were the Americans who sold these assets. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Key differences ... China has 1 billion people, is a nuclear power, and is hardly an ally of the US. As a communist country, the line between private corporation and government influence is a blurry one.

As China industrializes, they will begin (and in fact, are beginning) to use a more proportional share of the Earth's natural resources (notably, oil).

What is the logical outcome when you have consistently decreasing supply and exponentially increasing demand for natural resources?

Competition. Something the US has had the luxury to live without and now has to deal with.

CNOOC buys Unocal but guarantees supply to the US. How long do you think this will last when competition escalates?

What will the US's reaction be when China decides that it's their turn to influence the Middle East? Think Jeb's gonna be ready to start a land war in China?

This trend is among the most important issues that we face today, and one that will influence what happens over the next generation. To compare it to Japanese corporations buying commercial real-estate in Manhattan is a bit short-sighted.

This is not a financial issue.

tek
06-23-2005, 03:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Essentially, they are determined to live in America as parasites. He said that Asians come to America to profit from our free education and capitalism, but make every effort not to "give back" to the good 'ol USA. They do this by working almost exclusively with other asian companies--or if they work for a large corporation they spend as much is possible within there own community. I have lived in a variety of places throughout the country and in every single one of them there was an area filled with primarily asian businesses and residents.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you look back over 200 years, most groups that came here initially did that. It just makes sense. Eventually immigrant groups begin to assimilate.

RicktheRuler
06-23-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you look back over 200 years, most groups that came here initially did that. It just makes sense. Eventually immigrant groups begin to assimilate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Schocking that someone took the time to think about the question without labeling it ridiculous.

Yes, other immigrant groups have existed as "countries within a country"--Italians are a great example. However, these groups were marginalized by the majority and eventually were able to assimilate. My friends point was that the "new immigrant" has no desire to assimilate. If fact, they avoid it as much as they can. I thought this could have made for a curious discussion, but apparently not.

bholdr
06-23-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't matter; trying to stop globalization is like trying to make water run uphill; it ain't gonna happen.

BCPVP
06-23-2005, 08:17 PM
1) Explain to me the alternative to this.
2) Who should decide which companies can and can't be sold?

shots
06-24-2005, 03:11 AM
What I don't get is how we can be so in bed with the Chinese and still be boycotting Cuba. I know I know we don't have a choice with cina they're too big, we have to do buisiness with them. But if our reason for not doing any buisiness with Cuba is that they are an oppressive communist regime then shouldn't we at least be doing something about the empowerment of another oppressive communist regime.

lehighguy
06-24-2005, 03:17 AM
We should be trading with Cuba. We should also be balancing the budget, protecting the enviroment, and conducting sound foriegn and dmoestic policy. But that's so much work.....

lastchance
06-24-2005, 03:31 AM
Yupz.

BCPVP
06-24-2005, 03:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What I don't get is how we can be so in bed with the Chinese and still be boycotting Cuba.

[/ QUOTE ]
A 50+ year grudge?

kurto
06-24-2005, 03:55 AM
I'll start by saying I don't know about China.

All I know is it seems like forever (many years) that there's always been discussion about the trade deficit between the US and China. Every year the politicians have discussed it and no one has ever made any progress on protecting ourselves.

I think our thirst for cheap products has been bound to have a negative effect... and its been ignored.

I think outsourcing and having all production leave America has led to cheaper products but the long term effects have been to strengthen the economies of other countries while weakening ours.

Please excuse me if this is either overly simplistic or even outright wrong. (again.. this isnt my area.)

But it seems like people have been predicting this for years but no one did anything about it. And we may be feeling it in the near future.

lehighguy
06-24-2005, 04:01 AM
Greenspan addressed this in his recent testimony. He, like all rational economists, realizes that education and shifting from low end to high end products is the only way for Americans to compete in the global economy. However, like all of Greenspan's testimonies congress uses it as a springboard for ideaology rather then a chance to ask a smart man some questions.

tek
06-24-2005, 10:19 AM
To me the question is "Who cares if new groups assimilate or not?"

80 years ago it may have mattered, but as the population and economy has grown as well as become diverse it makes no difference. You can call me rascist if you want and I don't care, but speaking for myself it's ahrd to interact with asians, africans and middle east people. Their language and culture is vastly different. My contact with asians is seeing them at poker tables or buying take-out from them. It's not like I'm going to join a bowling league with them or the possibility that they would join the same service organizations as me...

The fact that they "choose" to stay seperate is fine with me. My attitude towards them is the same as theirs is towards us.