PDA

View Full Version : Live tourney hand

ilya
06-23-2005, 04:00 AM
This is a hand from an SnG I played tonight with curtains and jenium, among other luminaries. 7 players started the tournament with 5000 chips each, and the blinds had recently gone up to level 2: 50/100. I had about 4000 at the start of this hand, and curtains I think had about 5000-6000.
It was folded to curtains, who limped on the button. The SB folded and I checked in the big blind with J4o.
The flop came J69r and I checked. curtains bet 100 into the 250 pot and I raised to 300 total. curtains called.
The turn was a T, putting a second spade on the board (first one was the 9 I think). I bet 600 into the 850 pot and curtains asked me how much I had left, but then just called.
The river was an offsuit 3 and I bet 1200 into the 2050 pot.

I don't think I should have bet the river. I think I should have check/folded, or perhaps called a small bet.

My questions though:

Should I have bet out on the flop? I don't think so as I don't think I can stand a raise and I can see curtains raising with quite a wide range of hands there. But hmmm. If curtains is raising the flop with such a wide range, maybe I *should* bet out, call his raise, and then lead the turn...it seems like this line may define my hand best.

Should I have check-raised? Perhaps it might have been better to just call and bet out on the turn. This would have made the pot cheaper to play with my marginal hand.

Should I have check-raised more?

I am pretty sure that betting out on the turn was correct. curtains may easily have called with 2nd or 3rd button, so I don't want to let him see the river for free. I think checking also puts me in a difficult situation if he bets...I could still easily have the best hand, but it's hard to call knowing that I could be facing another bet on the river. Lots of scare cards + outs + the possibility that I'm beaten already means I probably have to fold the turn.

On the river I guess I bet in the hope that he might fold some stronger Jacks, but this seems pretty foolish in retrospect. But I guess the question is, can I call any bet if I check?

Newt_Buggs
06-23-2005, 06:42 AM
I think that you played it fine. I would assume that you are still ahead on the river with that blank hitting. I might check call the river if the bet isn't too strong trying to induce money out of a bluff since betting out will probably get him to fold if he has a weaker hand and call/raise if he has you beat. Maybe he had a weak pair and turned a draw? I don't know, I'm tired and shoule be asleep right now.

treeofwisdom7
06-23-2005, 06:55 AM
this is a home game with good players like curtains. this is a hard hand to play specially since i have no idea how to read players in live games and since curtains is a pro. but i was thinking curtains was checking a pair. and if you bet out he was going to call the flop. thats about as far as i can go on the hand

i would be thinking curtains hit a set on the flop after he called unless curtains had some read on you which you didnt know he knew about, that changed his play

wuwei
06-23-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I have check-raised? Perhaps it might have been better to just call and bet out on the turn. This would have made the pot cheaper to play with my marginal hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the line I would have used.

The way you played it, I agree you have to bet the turn. This is a tough one because I'm not quite sure what his range of open limping on the button hands contains, and those two calls seem to indicate a good hand.

I would check the river and consider calling a bet, but I'd feel pretty crappy about it.

Apathy
06-23-2005, 12:18 PM
How is he playing? I can see him getting pretty crazy here depending on how serious this game is...

assuming he isn't just donking it up for no reason I think your crazy for betting the river, what hand that you beat are you expecting curtains to call with after a line like check-raise bet, bet?!?

I think something like check call bet turn check river would be best here. On the river he likely either raised all in or folded, since your posting I'm guessing it was the former.

ilya
06-23-2005, 04:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is he playing? I can see him getting pretty crazy here depending on how serious this game is...

assuming he isn't just donking it up for no reason I think your crazy for betting the river, what hand that you beat are you expecting curtains to call with after a line like check-raise bet, bet?!?

I think something like check call bet turn check river would be best here. On the river he likely either raised all in or folded, since your posting I'm guessing it was the former.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually he flat-called /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I was of course not value-betting on the river. I thought by that point that there was a good chance I was beat, and I was hoping curtains would fold a better jack. Also, I didn't want to get bluffed out of the pot.

curtains
06-23-2005, 05:10 PM
btw I call the flop with almost everything that's halfway reasonable, because number 1 I can improve to the best hand, and number 2 it's very important to not let people think you will just fold to a small check raise on the flop when we are this deep stacked. I want to make sure that you know when you do something like this, you are not risking 300 but are actually risking 800-1000 or so, because you are going to have to fire another bullet on the turn a large majority of the time.

curtains
06-23-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

one thing about me is I always try to play my absolute best no matter what. I'll never ever play crazy or "bad" because the stakes are lower than Im used to or because of the atmosphere or whatever, because I have insane obsession with winning. So this wasn't a factor.

Sometimes of course I'll play looser or more active depending on the game situation, but actually in this particular tournament I was playing pretty tightly. I'm thankful no one has posted the hand where my dad bluffed me out with 8 high...

microbet
06-23-2005, 05:23 PM
What did Curtains have?

ilya
06-23-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What did Curtains have?

[/ QUOTE ]

T9o for the turned two pair. I think he played his hand great.

durron597
06-23-2005, 06:20 PM
I'm trying to think about what range curtains would openlimp the button with. Do you think he would openlimp with Q3suited?

If he has a real hand chances are he raises preflop. Otherwise I think you have to put him on connected cards, a small pair, or a bigcard/small card suited. I think when he calls the turn you should realize that the T probably hit him and you are beat, or he has like 66 and you were drawing dead on the flop.

But maybe I'm being results oriented.

curtains
06-23-2005, 06:36 PM
btw I never open limp on button in sit and gos, but in really deep stacked tourneys against opponents I know, I dont mind doing it sometimes. I could really have everything. For example no way I'd fold something like Q4s on button in this spot, but I might not raise it...would depend how I feel.