PDA

View Full Version : GTA: San Andreas for PC; Need help

Daliman
06-23-2005, 03:30 AM
#1 Is it just me, or is shooting at people in this WAY harder than any FPS game?
#2 How the F do you get the timing down in the lowrider challaenge. When I wait until the arrow is directly inside the box, or even JUST entering the box, I always get a "too late", if i do it a bit before, it almost seems to randomly tell me bad or good, but either way, I can't beat this. In a VERY similar minigame in the Leisure Suit Larry game, I do great, and that one is MUCH faster. ANy ideas?

AngryCola
06-23-2005, 03:35 AM
I'm playing this on Xbox, and have had no problems with what you are describing. The latest PC Gamer has a review which gave the PC version a very high score. It didn't mention any real control issues.

I'm guessing you just need to time it a bit better in the lowrider challenges. Do you also struggle with the dance challenges?

As for aiming, there should be a way to lock-on to enemies. I would be very surprised if this feature isn't in the PC version. So, locking on is obviously easy.
Crouch for better aiming while not locked on.

Daliman
06-23-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm playing this on Xbox, and have had no problems with what you are describing. The latest PC Gamer has a review which gave the PC version a very high score. It didn't mention any real control issues.

I'm guessing you just need to time it a bit better in the lowrider challenges. Do you also struggle with the dance challenges?

As for aiming, there should be a way to lock-on to enemies. I would be very surprised if this feature isn't in the PC version. So, locking on is obviously easy.
Crouch for better aiming while not locked on.

[/ QUOTE ]
FOr shooting, maybe I'm Missing something then. When I first got a gun, it said I could scroll targets with a certain key, but that never worked. This may have something to do with me changing some of the keys' functions, where there is overlap; I'll look into that.

As far as the dancing, I haven't gotten there yet. I got the Prima GTA:SA guide and it's not much help. I am trying to finish the Cesar Vilapondo mission.

Saw the PCG article, which is why i got the game, my first ever GTA.

vulturesrow
06-23-2005, 03:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
#1 Is it just me, or is shooting at people in this WAY harder than any FPS game?

[/ QUOTE ]

AUto-target is your friend. You mentioned you might have remapped, check to make sure you didnt.

[ QUOTE ]
#2 How the F do you get the timing down in the lowrider challaenge. When I wait until the arrow is directly inside the box, or even JUST entering the box, I always get a "too late", if i do it a bit before, it almost seems to randomly tell me bad or good, but either way, I can't beat this. In a VERY similar minigame in the Leisure Suit Larry game, I do great, and that one is MUCH faster. ANy ideas?

[/ QUOTE ]

The trick really is to listen to the beat of the music and use that as your timing for hitting the buttons. Ive done pretty well on this mini-game using this method. I know thats sort of vague but I am pretty sure you will see what I am talking about. I really dont try to time the button in the circle precisely.

oreogod
06-23-2005, 07:13 AM
Anybody who played the PS2 version notice a big jump graphically with the Xbox version?

Need to see if I should pick up a copy, just dont want to waste my time if its a "port"

raisethatmofo
06-23-2005, 07:22 AM

Daliman
06-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I'm using keyboard/mouse, as it is on my laptop,(My only comp, currently.) Kinda cumbersome.

-Skeme-
06-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Doom 3 is cool.

Daliman
06-23-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Doom 3 is cool.

[/ QUOTE ]
DId Half-life 2 instead. Way better from what I hear. Liked it lots.

MoreWineII
06-23-2005, 11:13 AM
I always hold the right mouse button and bring up the targetting thingie. Using that, I haven't had any problems shooting.

The lowrider part sucked. Try & wait until the arrow is all the way inside before clicking. The arrow will light up as a denser blue color than if you miss. I seem to have gotten more points just by concentrating on a few and getting them perfectly aligned rather than trying to get *all* the arrows.

wonderwes
06-23-2005, 11:17 AM
If you spent the money to buy GTA SA for the PC, then you should just take the money and invest in a good $30 gamepad for your PC. I think control is a huge ordeal in any game, and I bet it is key for GTA. The targeting system is actually very key to playing the game. You are going to get in situations where you will need to unload rounds at a lot of enemies quickly. One key in shooting, if you hit a enemy with a gun, they will usually pause in shooting at you. Try to go around and hit each enemy with one shot, then keep rotating your aim to each guy until they are all eliminated. It helps when 6 dudes all with guns have surrounded you.

My GTA tips:
1. Always have body armor
2. You can beat a lot of hard missions by sniping people with the rifle.
3. Explore, explore, explore.

I have a good link with all the mapped out spray tags, camera shots and horseshoes if anyone needs it. It really helps, because finding 100 spray tags in Los Santos is freaking hard.

Aytumious
06-23-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
FOr shooting, maybe I'm Missing something then. When I first got a gun, it said I could scroll targets with a certain key, but that never worked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, if you are using the mouse and keyboard you lose the ability to lock onto your targets. It makes the game much more difficult in the sections where you are facing a lot of enemies. If you want to lock on you have to buy a gamepad which is very annoying, IMO.

Daliman
06-23-2005, 04:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FOr shooting, maybe I'm Missing something then. When I first got a gun, it said I could scroll targets with a certain key, but that never worked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, if you are using the mouse and keyboard you lose the ability to lock onto your targets. It makes the game much more difficult in the sections where you are facing a lot of enemies. If you want to lock on you have to buy a gamepad which is very annoying, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, would this suck if true. My laptop doesn't have a slot for a gamepad... DO any gamepads come USB?

fryKing
06-23-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My laptop doesn't have a slot for a gamepad... DO any gamepads come USB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they're actually all USB these days.

I would also like to know if anyone has tried the both the XBOX and PS2 versions, I never finished it and was thinking of getting the new version if it was better.

AngryCola
06-23-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always hold the right mouse button and bring up the targetting thingie. Using that, I haven't had any problems shooting.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was seriously doubting those who were saying one must have a gamepad to lock-on.

Daliman,

Make sure you have the keys mapped correctly.
If you still don't like the control after that, buy a standard type of gamepad. They are pretty cheap.

Daliman
06-24-2005, 02:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I was seriously doubting those who were saying one must have a gamepad to lock-on.

Daliman,

Make sure you have the keys mapped correctly.
If you still don't like the control after that, buy a standard type of gamepad. They are pretty cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

GOt one tonight. Will be trying it out momentarily.