PDA

View Full Version : Should I get my Dream Car?

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 12:48 AM
This is kind of early to post this, since I am in a wheel chair, but oh well.

My car, a 2002 Crysler Sebring, is totaled. It is paid off. According to KBB the retail price of my car now with 40000 miles on it is as follows

2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi Sedan 4D
http://www.kbb.com/VehicleImage/95x69/2002/CSCRSEBLXISED02C.jpg
Engine: V6 2.7 Liter
Trans: Automatic
Drive: Front Wheel Drive
Mileage: 40,000

Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Door Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
AM/FM Stereo
Multi Compact Disc
Premium Sound
Navigation System
Dual Front Air Bags
F&R Side Air Bags
ABS (4-Wheel)
Leather
Dual Power Seats
Moon Roof
Rear Spoiler
Premium Wheels

Retail Value $14,270

I have always wanted one of these.

http://bradbarnett.net/mustangs/timeline/05/05/Birmingham-6.jpg

Make: Ford
Model: 2005 Mustang
Trim: 2dr Cpe GT Premium
Colors: Exterior: Black,
Interior: Dk Charcoal/Red
50-STATE EMISSIONS SYSTEM $0.00 $0.00
4.6L OHC 24-VALVE V8 ENGINE $0.00 $0.00
5-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION $886.00 $995.00
PREMIUM SERIES ORDER CODE $0.00 $0.00
ABERDEEN EMBOSSED RED LEATHER FRONT SPORT BUCKET SEATS $0.00 $0.00
SOLID PAINT $0.00 $0.00
SHAKER 1000 AUDIO SYSTEM $1,153.00 $1,295.00
INTERIOR UPGRADE PKG $401.00 $450.00
INTERIOR SPORT APPEARANCE PKG $0.00 $0.00
INTERIOR COLOR ACCENT PKG $156.00 $175.00
17" BRIGHT MACHINED CAST ALUMINUM WHEELS $174.00 $195.00
Options Total $2,770.00 $3,110.00
Destination Charges $675.00 $675.00
Base Price $24,128.00 $26,320.00
Total Price of This Vehicle $27,573.00 $30,105.00

I could put $15K down when I get the insurance back on my car, and my payments would be $407 per month/36 months.

Should I go for it?

Steve

cbfair
06-23-2005, 12:54 AM
The mustang is a beautiful car but I wouldn't pay $407/mo for a brand new car that will only depreciate. That's me though...

I know the new 'stangs have only been out for a few months, but you may look around for a "gently used" one that would cost alot less. New cars take the biggest hit when you drive them off the lot the first time; sometimes you can find executive driven or promotional cars that are like new but much less expensive.

What else are you going to do for the next couple of months? shop around!

cbf

P.S. I'm sorry about the accident, but very glad you and your mom are ok. It sounds like it could have been way worse.

poker-penguin
06-23-2005, 12:56 AM
It's a sweet car.

I guess it all comes down to finances - is it worth $407 a month for 36 months to you given all the other things you could be spending that money on (that's 2 fancy Steak-and-A1-sauce lunches a month or a painfully large check to whatever anti-gay organisation you're sending money to when you light up) :P

But this was really just a brag post, wasn't it?

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a sweet car.

I guess it all comes down to finances - is it worth $407 a month for 36 months to you given all the other things you could be spending that money on (that's 2 fancy Steak-and-A1-sauce lunches a month or a painfully large check to whatever anti-gay organisation you're sending money to when you light up) :P

[/ QUOTE ]

No it was a I have a chance to make a dream come true, should I just go for it now because who knows what the future holds post.

Steve

RacersEdge
06-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Sweet car.

I would go for it.

Just check how much your car insurance will go up.

Plus, you could do something else with the 15K and lease it for 36 months.

Blarg
06-23-2005, 01:12 AM
Black cars can be utter hell in the summer, especially with black upholstery. They show dust and grime really quickly too.

fluxrad
06-23-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
4.6L OHC 24-VALVE V8 ENGINE $0.00 $0.00

[/ QUOTE ]

Mustangs have years. '65 was a year. The early 70's had some good years. The mid 80's had some good years. '94-'95 were two great years.

'05 is going to be remembered as a good year, but if your dream car is a mustang, I'd look for a fastback or the last of the 5.0 liters in the '95

(I should mention I owned a '95 and would still be driving it today if it hadn't cost so much in speeding tickets and insurance.)

-- Edit: It should also be illegal to buy a black mustang --

Jules22
06-23-2005, 01:22 AM
this may not apply, but here's a joke?

Why are mustangs named tampons? Because every pvssy wants one.

Talk2BigSteve
My Car insurance would be $961 every 6 months.

I tried to do a check just now on loan verses lease but I don't know what the hell Residual Value is? that is the only field I have blank and it can't calculate it.

Steve

doughhater
Not so surprisingly, this is also my dream car. I think that if you have the financial stability to handle the $400 addition to your monthly nut, then do it. One thing I would recommend, however would be to not get the Shaker audio system. It seems that you should be able to get something just as good for a lot less money.

fluxrad
06-23-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I tried to do a check just now on loan verses lease but I don't know what the hell Residual Value is? that is the only field I have blank and it can't calculate it.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not lease a car.

[censored]
06-23-2005, 01:26 AM
umm how the [censored] does your "dream" car that you "have always wanted" come out in 2005? weak.

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 01:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not so surprisingly, this is also my dream car. I think that if you have the financial stability to handle the $400 addition to your monthly nut, then do it. One thing I would recommend, however would be to not get the Shaker audio system. It seems that you should be able to get something just as good for a lot less money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought about that too, I have been spoiled when it came to cars, I always get them fully loaded. But yeah for $1300 I can get a kick as aftermarket stereo and have some change left.

Steve

Voltron87
06-23-2005, 01:27 AM
I saw this post and say "dream car" and then 2002 Chrysler and thought, "wow thats gay"

the mustang is sweet, every dude in the gym will want to ride in your car and feel you rev it.

steve, wtf do you do for a job? I have no clue, its a wild card.

RacersEdge
06-23-2005, 01:27 AM
Pretty steep on the insurance. You must have had a few tickets or be under 25.

Try about 50-55% of the selling price for residal value.

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 01:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Do not lease a car.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't plan on it, I know it may save you in payments but
1. your insurance is higher because you do not own the car. and
2...YOU DO NOT OWN THE CAR!

Steve

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 01:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Pretty steep on the insurance. You must have had a few tickets or be under 25.

Try about 50-55% of the selling price for residal value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 30 and I have 1 failure to yeild at the only stop sign in Scooba, Mississippi at 3:30 in the morning making a right turn /images/graemlins/confused.gif and I did the quote with this current accident listed as well.

Steve

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
umm how the [censored] does your "dream" car that you "have always wanted" come out in 2005? weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

The last time that I checked Ford Mustangs have been around since before I was born in 1974.

Steve

fluxrad
06-23-2005, 01:35 AM
I found your car (http://cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&paId=172 925274&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumR esultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRI CE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&recnum=15&leadEx ists=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_14_%7CD-_179_%7CN-N%7CR-100%7CI-1%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-39301&aff=national)

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw this post and say "dream car" and then 2002 Chrysler and thought, "wow thats gay"

the mustang is sweet, every dude in the gym will want to ride in your car and feel you rev it.

steve, wtf do you do for a job? I have no clue, its a wild card.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am an assitant operations manager for a dispatcher company that handles technician calls for all of the South Eastern US. including Tennessee and Kentucky, basically East of the Mississippi River and South of the Ohio River is our territory.

Steve

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 01:40 AM
Steve, if you really want the car, buy it man! who cares what we think.

poker-penguin
06-23-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's a sweet car.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it was a I have a chance to make a dream come true, should I just go for it now because who knows what the future holds post.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I just thought it sounded like you had made your mind up already and were just showing off. I apologise.

Personally, I'd buy a kick ass mountain bike, drive some piece a crap used car, and have $400 in my pocket every month.

But I'm cheap, and not really into cars.

If this dream is worth $400 a month to you, then do it.

Stuey
06-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Quit smoking, buy the car if you start smoking you have to return the car. Uhh hmmm well okies bad idea. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

OtisTheMarsupial
06-23-2005, 01:45 AM
No, do not buy a new car. They just depreciate so quickly. It's soooo not worth it.

But if you do buy a new car, I hear it's best to wait till the end of the month (they have quotas and are more likely to give you a deal) and you should shop around shop around shop around. Always bring someone with you, anyone. And don't talk prices until you do your homework.

Good luck and I hope you heal well. We can't have our lil Steve stuck in a wheelchair for too long.

-Otis

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Steve, if you really want the car, buy it man! who cares what we think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, as much as you all dis on me and joke, you really all are people that I would consider friends if I knew you in real life.

The past 24 hours has made me think alot about things. I am 30 and my father died at 60, I would hate to think that half my life is over at this point. A little more to the left and I could have had the plot next to him. I have had alot of ups and downs in my life. I don't have regrets for my past, but like everyone I have dreams that seem like they are just that...dreams. This is one that I can make come true if I choose to do so.

I just want some advice, and the fastest place to get opinions and feedback that I have found is here in OOT.

Steve

BusterStacks
06-23-2005, 01:50 AM
Steve, can you really put a price on driving your dream car? If yes, that price is probably higher than what you will pay now. I say do it.

ThaSaltCracka
06-23-2005, 01:54 AM
fine, advice is the same as Busters. Buy that [censored], soon.

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 01:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
No, do not buy a new car. They just depreciate so quickly. It's soooo not worth it.

But if you do buy a new car, I hear it's best to wait till the end of the month (they have quotas and are more likely to give you a deal) and you should shop around shop around shop around. Always bring someone with you, anyone. And don't talk prices until you do your homework.

Good luck and I hope you heal well. We can't have our lil Steve stuck in a wheelchair for too long.

-Otis

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah I am good at shopping around. When I got my 91 Coupe DeVille in 1994 it had 34K miles on it, it really was a drive to the store, church and errands car, the back seat had never been sat it. An old man here died and his wife traded it in on a Lincoln and I snagged it for only $14K /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve

Stuey
06-23-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just want some advice, and the fastest place to get opinions and feedback that I have found is here in OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you wanted it here it comes. My opinion...

Dreams are just that, dreams. You want this car really bad, you think you will be happier in this car. You think life will be better, because you own a certian car. It is a dream Steve. I do the same thing.

Go buy the car I bet in less than 2 months you have a new dream. An idea of what you "need" to make life "better". We all have the same itch, and we all scratch it in different ways. But the itch always returns.

Why do we need something, or some event to happen in our lives to improve them? Is it to hard to realize this is a good as it gets? "This" in many cases is very good all things considered.

So I rained on your parade, sorry. But I have a idea for you. Dreams are good but why not just slow down and enjoy each dream as much as possible. Why rush from one dream to the next.

Buy the car, but don't put it on payments. Buy a junker for the short-term. Then save up enough money to pay cash for the "dream" car. You might find that by the time you have enough cash to buy the car you have a new dream and can spend the money on that.

Just a idea. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The idea I'm getting at is this car is your dream car because it is at the upper limits of your buying range tam. If you had 50K to spend I am sure you would find a car that cost 70K and put the remainder on payments. I just think it is bad to stretch yourself. Everything I have always wanted seemed to be just a little more expensive than what I could afford comfortably. Maybe a safe car would be best? John Feeney is a pretty smart guy. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok you wanted it here it comes. My opinion...

Dreams are just that, dreams. You want this car really bad, you think you will be happier in this car. You think life will be better, because you own a certian car. It is a dream Steve. I do the same thing.

Go buy the car I bet in less than 2 months you have a new dream. An idea of what you "need" to make life "better". We all have the same itch, and we all scratch it in different ways. But the itch always returns.

Why do we need something, or some event to happen in our lives to improve them? Is it to hard to realize this is a good as it gets? "This" in many cases is very good all things considered.

So I rained on your parade, sorry. But I have a idea for you. Dreams are good but why not just slow down and enjoy each dream as much as possible. Why rush from one dream to the next.

Buy the car, but don't put it on payments. Buy a junker for the short-term. Then save up enough money to pay cash for the "dream" car. You might find that by the time you have enough cash to buy the car you have a new dream and can spend the money on that.

Just a idea. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I can buy that arguement, I am almost completely debt free except for student loans which do not start until school ends and I would not want to jump back in the 15K deep end of the debt pool.

So if practical wins over dream I would have to go with this.

Ebay Autos (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31867&item=4557782 234&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

Steve

lu_hawk
06-23-2005, 02:28 AM
about a year ago I sprung for a new M3. i get a lot of enjoyment out of my car, but sometimes i think it wasn't worth it. i don't know what your finances look like but if the car is big enough where you really feel it in your pocketbook then you will have second thoughts down the road. not to say it definitely won't be worth it, but there will be sometimes when you think it wasn't worth it.

on_thg
06-23-2005, 02:32 AM
This is really a lousy time to buy a Mustang. It's new, it's hot, dealers are getting over list price in some cases. Compare that with almost everything else, which is being discounted and rebated.

From a financial perspective, not getting a Mustang now is easily the better play. But if the emotional side is real important and buying the car won't break you, go for it.

Ringo_Mojo
06-23-2005, 02:38 AM
I own a '02 Mustang GT, and Love it. I do really want one of these new ones, but I can't justify trading in a 3 year old car, probably in 2 more years i'll be getting another one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would reccomend getting it with the stick shift, its a whole lot more fun.

SossMan
06-23-2005, 02:43 AM
i am shocked...shocked, i tell you, that this is not your dream car. (http://www.independentcars.co.uk/images/products/21_big_toyota-celica-big.jpg)

glad to hear you are (relatively) okay.

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I own a '02 Mustang GT, and Love it. I do really want one of these new ones, but I can't justify trading in a 3 year old car, probably in 2 more years i'll be getting another one. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would reccomend getting it with the stick shift, its a whole lot more fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never learned to drive a stick.

Oh God, I feel a gay flame fest with that quote coming anytime now.

Steve

Talk2BigSteve
06-23-2005, 02:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i am shocked...shocked, i tell you, that this is not your dream car. (http://www.independentcars.co.uk/images/products/21_big_toyota-celica-big.jpg)

glad to hear you are (relatively) okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I am 6'4" unless I got that with a center steering wheel and a sunroof to stick my head out of I think I will have to pass.

Steve

Ringo_Mojo
06-23-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well now you have a reason to learn. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also, have you looked at the standard Mustangs? the V6 is plenty powerful and its like 10k less. That might be a decent compromise.

tl65\
06-23-2005, 04:26 AM
I say go for it. I just got one about a month ago, pretty much the exact same thing, except I opted for the convertible and I love it. I got the automatic as well and everyone i talk to tells me i should've gotten a stick, but its just a matter of preference. I enjoy mine very much /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Also, as you probably know, you aren't going to find any deals on a GT right now, when i bought mine, they weren't even taking the ford employee discount.

enjoy it

BusterStacks
06-23-2005, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, have you looked at the standard Mustangs? the V6 is plenty powerful and its like 10k less. That might be a decent compromise.

[/ QUOTE ]

worst. advice. ever.

Mars357
06-23-2005, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't buy the car.

Take the $14,270 and find a nice used Mustang in that price range. If you can't quite afford the used 'stang you want in that price range, save the $407 a month you would have been sending to the finance company for the new car. Add to that the $150 a month you will be saving in insurance, and I'd wager that you could pay cash for a very nice, late model, used 'stang in 6 months or less.

Debt is dumb, buying brand new cars and watching the value dive for two years is even dumber.

Don't come out of this with a car payment on your back.

I'm sure I'll catch a lot of [censored] from the younger "you only live once do it!!" crowd. I agree you do only live once, life is too short, too short to go though it with debt turning you into a slave.... Listen to Mars....Mars is older and wiser and Mars has made every stupid mistake out there including buying my dream car and ending up HATING it because the payments and insurance were eating me up....

my .02

Mars

jakethebake
06-23-2005, 09:03 AM
I really like the new mustang. Didn't realize they were $30k.

daveymck
06-23-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really like the new mustang. Didn't realize they were $30k.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems insanely cheap over here that would be the same as an average family car a Ford Mondeo (not sure you have them) or a very basic 3 series BMW (old shape). There are meant to be plans to bring the mustang over here be interesting to see how it does cos I suspect the costs will be much higher here.

My annual insurance is in the region of $2,200 annually which goes to show how screwed the exchange rate is as well as how much more we pay over here for stuff.

sfer
06-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Gimmick account over. Since your "dream car" is anything other than a red 1986 VW Cabriolet it's obvious that you're not gay.

David Wooderson
06-23-2005, 01:46 PM
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, alright. We got 411 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper Edelbrock intakes, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some [censored]' muscle.

The Goober
06-23-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend learning to drive stick before going all-out on your dream car. Once you get good at it, you'll appreciate the car much more with a stickshift - you're just so much more in tune with the car.

I would recommend getting a cheap stickshift that's reasonably fun to drive but sort of a beater. Start saving money and learn how to drive it for all its worth. By then, if you are still crazy for that Mustang, it'll be easier to find a slightly used one, you'll be able to put down more of the payment upfront, and you'll appreciate it much more.

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would recommend learning to drive stick before going all-out on your dream car. Once you get good at it, you'll appreciate the car much more with a stickshift - you're just so much more in tune with the car.

I would recommend getting a cheap stickshift that's reasonably fun to drive but sort of a beater. Start saving money and learn how to drive it for all its worth. By then, if you are still crazy for that Mustang, it'll be easier to find a slightly used one, you'll be able to put down more of the payment upfront, and you'll appreciate it much more.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Yes. Yes. Do this.

dabluebery
06-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Get the car.

Don't worry about buying it new and driving right through the value of it — if you plan on keeping the car for a reasonable amount of time (say 5 years) then you'll be just fine. You're not buying it as an investment anyway, but you won't screw yourself if keep the car a few years after the loan is paid.

Get the stick. It'll be worth it. Unless you live on a steep incline or drive in heavy traffic on a daily basis. If so, never get a stick. Also, it could obviously be a limiting factor if you end up with medical limitations as a result of your accident. Good luck.

Black? Not that cool.

Duke
06-23-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am 30 and my father died at 60, I would hate to think that half my life is over at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just because he found out that his son was gay.

~D

Talk2BigSteve
06-24-2005, 01:53 PM
I have the solution.

When I am able to drive again, I will rent a Ford Mustang for the weekend and then I can decide if this is Something that I absolutely can not live with out.

Chances are it will be something that I can in fact do without.

Steve