PDA

View Full Version : Rebuy Strategy Discussion I had with a friend

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-22-2005, 11:32 PM
My friend said he read a long time ago on the MTT forums that somebody argued you should come out of the rebuy tournament (talking about the big stars $11 Rebuys) with 25k chips or more to give yourself the best shot of going deep. I have argued that to get to 25k you either need to gamble it up a lot or have the deck slap you upside the face. Obviously one doesn't cost much, but I think it's fair to say that the other will cost $100 + in rebuys on average (correct me if this assumption is wrong).

Now, I wouldn't say I play it "safe" in the rebuy period, but I'm not pushing with suited connectors HU, etc. If a table is extra loose during the rebuy period, I'll open up, but generally I make it out of the rebuy with 8-12k (after the add-on).

He says the added equity of having a nice stack makes up for the money you pay before the rebuy, and I argued unless you're an exceptional post-flop player (and while I think I am good, I'm certainly not extraordinary) the 15k chips don't do enough for you.

I'm just wondering what everybody else thinks? I'm rather new to tournies and rebuys in particular, so forgive me if my view is totally wrong or if this has been discussed before.

dhende3
06-23-2005, 12:33 AM
I was wondering this myself, I am pretty sure most people who make it to the FT in the Stars $11 rebuy are in for over $100. I am normally satsified when I am in for $40-$50 with a 12k stack after the rebuy period although I haven't had too much success making it very deep.

Rick Diesel
06-23-2005, 12:51 AM
I generally have no problem investing $31 in and getting over 10,000 by the first break. With all of the LAGGIES gambooling it up early, it is usually pretty easy to double up a couple times before the first break.

FWIW, I won the 11 rebuy once outright, and was in for $31 and had about 14,000 at the first break, and I split it with another fellow once, and was in for $51 and had about 10,000 at the first break.

I also split a 5.50 rebuy 3 ways, and was in for $15.50 and had about 8,000 at the first break.

Hotrod0823
06-23-2005, 01:20 AM
I have to aggree with Rick here. The time I won I was in for 51 and had about 9K at the first break and the time we split at the final table was in for 31 and had 12K.

There are others that prescribe to the push all edges and rebuy countless times to get a big stack but I have had mixed results. I have been in for 101 and had the minimum of 5K at the break only to miss the money and other nights i have had 40K at the break and money but not enough to cover my entries.

I think blanketly saying the only way you win is to play LAGGGYYY during the rebuy isn't necessaryily true.

Edit: FWIW the final table that we split everyone was in for 20-50 bucks.

Colombo
06-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Most of the people that all in every hand suck and just do it because they see the good players do it. It's a waste of money unless you are good enough to go very deep and recover your losses. One good player that uses this strategy would be pbdrunks.

The one time i final tabled the $5 rebuy i was in for like $100, because I used this strategy, i had 25k at break, but it was useless as i was down to 5k after a bad beat an hour later (i did recover however, and went to FT as chip leader)

The first time i ever did i $11 rebuy, i final tabled, and get this, i only had 4.5k chips after the first break, and that includes the add on.

I really dont see a point in generating a huge stack, all of the chips will still be in the game, and at the late stages, does the extra 20k you gained from the first break even make a difference?

On a side note, play very agressive, and push your edges, but dont keep going all in when your just looking to get lucky.

Isura
06-23-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really dont see a point in generating a huge stack, all of the chips will still be in the game, and at the late stages, does the extra 20k you gained from the first break even make a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

That 20k absolutely makes a difference.