PDA

View Full Version : How to play with a loose player at the table.

Andreas
01-24-2003, 03:31 PM
How should you play when you have a very loose player at the table. Many of the concepts from TPFAP seem less applicable then.

A few nights ago I was playing a limit tourney where there was this very loose player. Somehow he had amassed a large stack and was the chipleader at the table.

My stack was in somewhat trouble. In the 10 big blind neighbourhood. No need for immediate action but the blinds are eating away fairly quickly.

Anyway, the loose player was limping or raising almost every pot. I think he saw at least 90% of the flops and the often called with little or nothing after the flop. My strategy was to wait for a "big" hand and then try to double up. Obviosly a big hand vs. this player is somewhat different then a big hand vs. a normal player. Against him I considered AT+ and 88+ to be big hands.

Is this the correct strategy? It felt somewhat weak-tight at the time. Especially since the blinds was eating away at my stack fairly fast.

Comments appreciated, Andreas

-Oz-
01-24-2003, 05:58 PM
I think you have the right strategy in mind. The main factors to me would be your position relative to him and how the others at the table were playing against him, especially preflop.

If he's right in front of you, you'll have lots of opportunities for isolation plays. If he's right behind you, you're going to need a pretty big hand to come in, especially if others are calling his weak raises.

Short answer: you're going to have to get in with much the best of it and have it hold up.

How did it come down?

-Oz-

Andreas
01-24-2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the reply. It just felt like unimaginative poker at the time. Very frustrating indeed. A shrinking stack combined with bad cards and no possibilities of stealing.

The hand that crippled me was from the big blind. Mr. Very Loose limped and I had 7h5h. I flopped the flush draw and we both checked, I turned the flush but he drew to his As 8h and rivered a better one. I bust a few hands later with AQ vs. 4 players. 13th of 70 entrants isnt that bad I guess.

Greets, Andreas