PDA

View Full Version : AFI: Top 100 Movie Quotes = TERRIBLE!!!!

jnalpak
06-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Top 100 Movie Quotes (http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx#list)

I think they missed a lot of great quotes...bond got two yet star wars gets one...where is usual suspects? where is lebowski? where is clerks? where is a anderson movie quote? where is Three Kings?

seems like they took the top 50 movies and just quoted them here and there...

whats your favorite?

here is a sample of the bottom 10: at least they got caddyshack correct...

A martini. Shaken, not stirred.

GOLDFINGER

Who's on first.

THE NAUGHTY NINETIES

Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac...It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

CADDYSHACK

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

AUNTIE MAME

I feel the need - the need for speed!
TOP GUN

Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.
DEAD POETS SOCIETY

Snap out of it!
MOONSTRUCK

My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you.
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

Nobody puts Baby in a corner.
DIRTY DANCING

I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!
WIZARD OF OZ, THE

I'm king of the world!
TITANIC

discuss

Vince Young
06-22-2005, 08:03 PM
They're the most memorable quotes, not the funniest.

jnalpak
06-22-2005, 08:09 PM
I think there are many more memorable nonfunny quotes out there....it happens that i just put those up there.

let me change it up:
Last Starfighter?
Pulp Fiction?
Juice?
Belly?
Crash?
Spongebob Square Pants?
South Park The Movie?
iron eagle?
Goonies?
Full Metal Jacket?
ferris beuller?
braveheart?
big?
25th hour?

Alobar
06-22-2005, 08:15 PM
AFI has never had a top 100 anything that was worth a crap

Steel Aces
06-22-2005, 08:23 PM
How about some quotes that you think are superior instead of listing a bunch of movies? Some of those are good movies, but that doesn't mean they have memorable quotes.

[ QUOTE ]
Spongebob Square Pants?
South Park The Movie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious? Are you 12 years old?

I agree with Braveheart i.e. "They will never take our Freedom!" and some Pulp Fiction quotes, but most of those have swearing in it.

You have to remember the audience: Network TV, not cable.

thatpfunk
06-22-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
let me change it up:
Last Starfighter?
Pulp Fiction?
Juice?
Belly?
Crash?
Spongebob Square Pants?
South Park The Movie?
iron eagle?
Goonies?
Full Metal Jacket?
ferris beuller?
braveheart?
big?
25th hour?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're funny.

Read the reasoning at the bottom. All the quotes make sense.

Eurotrash
06-22-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Belly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, I'm surprised there were others here that have actually seen this. I can think of a few very funny quotes from this, but nothing worthy of a most memorable of all-time list /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Luminous Mist
06-22-2005, 08:54 PM
It's nice that out of all the Caddyshack quotes available they chose that one.....this AFI top 100 thing must be rigged, /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

The other interesting thing is that most of the movies used to quote are very UNquotable movies....and/or have just one usable quote. Not that the list was supposed to capture this....I was just hoping/expecting some movies where I'd be torn between all the great quotes that could have bene used (a la Caddyshack...where they quoted perhaps the 15th best quote of the movie).

Luminous

BigBaitsim (milo)
06-22-2005, 08:57 PM
Game over, man. Game over.

Shaman
06-22-2005, 08:59 PM
They totally missed Scent of a Woman. "HOOOOWWWWAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

mason55
06-22-2005, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's nice that out of all the Caddyshack quotes available they chose that one.....this AFI top 100 thing must be rigged, /images/graemlins/mad.gif.

The other interesting thing is that most of the movies used to quote are very UNquotable movies....and/or have just one usable quote. Not that the list was supposed to capture this....I was just hoping/expecting some movies where I'd be torn between all the great quotes that could have bene used (a la Caddyshack...where they quoted perhaps the 15th best quote of the movie).

Luminous

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you get it. Almost every single quote in the list has entered the American lexicography. Many people know the quotes but have no idea where they came from. That's a good quote, not a funny line about gohpers.

Luminous Mist
06-22-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think you get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm pretty sure I do, but thanks.

[ QUOTE ]

Almost every single quote in the list has entered the American lexicography.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.....um, not really but yeah, some of them certainly have.

[ QUOTE ]

Many people know the quotes but have no idea where they came from. That's a good quote, not a funny line about gohpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...we disagree about what a good quote consists of....but that is ok.

Luminous
Who doesn't think that quote from Caddyshack has entered any sort of lexicography...also, any line about the actual gopher in Caddyshack is at the bottom of the list obviously (have you *seen* the movie?!?!).

mason55
06-22-2005, 09:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Oh, I'm pretty sure I do, but thanks.

Well...we disagree about what a good quote consists of....but that is ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then make up your own criteria. That was the basis for this list. If it was funniest quotes then yeah, sure Caddy Shack, Big Lebowski, etc. But there's a full few paragraphs explaining the criteria for voting on the quotes.

istewart
06-22-2005, 09:17 PM
CBS's target audience isn't college kids and homeless people you noob. GTFO.

JaBlue
06-22-2005, 09:28 PM
that is a lil' flip quote, not a movie quote

bronzepiglet
06-22-2005, 10:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. I use this one all the time. It's also used in a Family Guy episode, as many will know.

-Skeme-
06-23-2005, 10:15 AM
He's not as tough as he thinks he is. "Neither are we."

swede123
06-23-2005, 10:19 AM
The one very noticable omission is "Squeal like a pig," from Deliverance. This is a pretty classic movie and just about everyone knows this one quote and cringe because of the memories it brings back.

Swede

hogua
06-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Heerrreeesssss Johnny!!

M2d
06-23-2005, 12:12 PM
"I got slimed"
"I was born a poor black child"
"Would you like to play a game?"

DMBFan23
06-23-2005, 12:26 PM
titanic on list = suck. no one remembers that [censored] quote, all they remember was kate winslet's tits

DrPublo
06-23-2005, 12:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Heerrreeesssss Johnny!!

[/ QUOTE ]

This one made the list, #68.

The Doc

hogua
06-23-2005, 12:30 PM
"Wax on. Wax off."

How did that not make the list?

DrPublo
06-23-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Top 100 Movie Quotes (http://www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/quotes.aspx#list)

I think they missed a lot of great quotes...bond got two yet star wars gets one...where is usual suspects? where is lebowski? where is clerks? where is a anderson movie quote? where is Three Kings?

seems like they took the top 50 movies and just quoted them here and there...

whats your favorite?

here is a sample of the bottom 10: at least they got caddyshack correct...

A martini. Shaken, not stirred.

GOLDFINGER

Who's on first.

THE NAUGHTY NINETIES

Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac...It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!

CADDYSHACK

Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!

AUNTIE MAME

I feel the need - the need for speed!
TOP GUN

Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary.
DEAD POETS SOCIETY

Snap out of it!
MOONSTRUCK

My mother thanks you. My father thanks you. My sister thanks you. And I thank you.
YANKEE DOODLE DANDY

Nobody puts Baby in a corner.
DIRTY DANCING

I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog, too!
WIZARD OF OZ, THE

I'm king of the world!
TITANIC

discuss

[/ QUOTE ]

The quote they picked from Airplane! is pretty bad, too. There are SO many better lines.

The Doc

stinkypete
06-23-2005, 02:41 PM
big gulps (http://www.jahozafat.com/cgi-bin/mp3s.cgi?Dumb_And_Dumber=big_gulps.mp3)

shant
06-23-2005, 02:46 PM
Star Wars was on the list. It was in the top 10.

Senor Cardgage
06-23-2005, 02:52 PM
This list needs more Princess Bride.

drewjustdrew
06-23-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
that is a lil' flip quote, not a movie quote

[/ QUOTE ]

are you serious? who the hell is lil' flip?

wasn't that from Aliens or something???

drewjustdrew
06-23-2005, 02:54 PM
They totally left of the best quote of all time:

"Just saw Muffy. Slipped her the old hot beef injection and left her beggin' for more" - Making the Grade

Rushmore
06-23-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The one very noticable omission is "Squeal like a pig," from Deliverance. This is a pretty classic movie and just about everyone knows this one quote and cringe because of the memories it brings back.
Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

Or "He gotta purty mouth."

I also think "Dying ain't much of a livin, boy," from The Outlaw Josey Wales was overlooked.

icepick
06-23-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh sir.

Aliens and Pulp Fiction would make up about 25 of my personal Top 100 alone.

swede123
06-23-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nh sir.

Aliens and Pulp Fiction would make up about 25 of my personal Top 100 alone.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I initially read the list I also thought about all these "classic" lines in movies from the last ten or fifteen years or so, but obviously they stand out more since I watch those kind of movies that much more. Between Napoleon Dynamite, Swingers and Office Space I could easily come up with 100 lines that I find hilarious.

They should have included a line from Bladerunner though. "If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes," or "Wake up! Time to Die!"

Swede

yoadrians
06-23-2005, 07:00 PM
My noticeable ommissions:

"Luke, I am your father." - Vader to Luke, The Empire Strikes Back

"I will not be IGNORED, Dan." - Glenn Close's character to Michael Doughlas' character, Fatal Attraction

"Bueller ... Bueller ... Bueller" - teacher from Ferris Bueller's Day Off

"How do you shoot the devil in the back? What if you MISS." - Verbal Quint, aka Kaiser Sos-ay, The Usual Suspects

"I see your Swartz is as big as mine." Dark Helmet to Lonestarr, Spaceballs

Furthermore, I FIRMLY believe that the Fatal Attraction quote should've made the top 10.

yoadrians
06-23-2005, 07:28 PM
"Obviously, you're not a golfer." The Dude, The Big Lebowski.

jcmack13
06-24-2005, 10:04 AM
-"The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club. The second rule of Fight Club is: you do NOT TALK about Fight Club!"

-"We are the knights who say NI!"

-Austin Powers' "Yeah baby!" (remember how often you heard that one?)

-Caddyshack's choice should be "So I got that going for me. Which is nice." I've never even seen Caddyshack, but that's been quoted to me a thousand times.

-"Luke, I am your father." Not only should that be up there, it should be top FIVE.

Also, the "Play, 'As Time Goes By'" quote (28) should probably not be on the list at all, since it is perhaps the most frequently misquoted movie line of all time. People remember it as, "Play it again, Sam."

jcmack13
06-24-2005, 10:05 AM
Woah. Does the link say this was revealed in a THREE HOUR TV special? it would take five minutes to hear all these quotes. Tops.

crownjules
06-24-2005, 10:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
-"Luke, I am your father." Not only should that be up there, it should be top FIVE.

[/ QUOTE ]

No question about this one. The Star Wars quote they had on their list was lame in comparison to the impact this one had.

samjjones
06-24-2005, 11:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No question about this one. The Star Wars quote they had on their list was lame in comparison to the impact this one had.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think "May the Force be with you" has had a little more cultural impact, but both should have definitely been on the list of Top 100. Then again, I probably would've put "Dillon...you son of a bitch" from PREDATOR on the list, too.

bronzepiglet
06-24-2005, 12:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They're the most memorable quotes, not the funniest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my two cents is that they actually did an okay job of putting quotes that you and your mom probably know... with this kind of criteria not all the hippest stuff is represented.