PDA

View Full Version : blind steal with AJo

jba
06-22-2005, 07:16 PM
I just sat down and have no reads.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

please tell me if I'm crazy.

Grease
06-22-2005, 07:19 PM
If you're taking this line, you're raising any turn.

I would rather just raise the flop, but I don't mind your way. The only problem is that there are overcards which could come that would make you hesitant to raise.

DemonDeac
06-22-2005, 07:29 PM
i like a raise as the board doesnt look that scary and BB could be making a play at this and cuz i alwasy like to be the aggressive one in the hands im in.

CashFlo
06-22-2005, 07:31 PM
definitely raise that flop

toss
06-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Say why.

(I also would raise the flop)

DawnToDusk
06-22-2005, 07:50 PM
I would of raised on the flop. Maybe he is betting into you with a piece of the board thinking that you were on a steal.

toss
06-22-2005, 07:52 PM
So you want him to fold?

DawnToDusk
06-22-2005, 07:58 PM
No no no. I want him to raise now on the flop.

Maybe his opponent thought he was trying to steal the blinds and called him and got a piece of the board and is now playing back at him trying to move him off.

shant
06-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Think about what this play would look like through the villain's perspective. Let's say the villain has a 7 or a PP lower than a J. We're not really worried about J's since you're getting paid off by those.

When you flat call this flop, and raise the turn, you're showing a ton of strength, and the villain will fold most hands. I think a raise on this flop will possibly get a 7 or other PP to call down since they may feel this is a steal situation.

If you're going to play it this way, you should call the villain's bet on the turn and raise the river.

brettbrettr
06-22-2005, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Say why.

(I also would raise the flop)

[/ QUOTE ]

B/c opponent is going to give you less credit in a steal situation. I odn't know about you guys, but I'm raising a ton of flops like this in this spot, hit or not.

toss
06-22-2005, 08:03 PM
I was talking about villain. I want to raise since I think the free card we're giving might exceed the value we gain by waiting to raise the turn. I also like raising for a metagame reason as we'll be aggressively raising steal hands when we miss the flop. I like people explaining as such instead of saying "Raise the flop". I'm also guilty of such one-liners, but I want to change.

DCWildcat
06-22-2005, 08:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I was talking about villain. I want to raise since I think the free card we're giving might exceed the value we gain by waiting to raise the turn. I also like raising for a metagame reason as we'll be aggressively raising steal hands when we miss the flop. I like people explaining as such instead of saying "Raise the flop". I'm also guilty of such one-liners, but I want to change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably a perfect post.

oh, why? Because it ends with a very true statement, and the logic beginning it is solid. And I happen to agree with it.

poker-penguin
06-23-2005, 01:36 AM
Is this use of the word "steal" normal?

AJo on the button, I'm fairly sure I'm ahead, and I want callers. To me, a steal is when I open-raise J5o on the button - ie I don't want to see a flop.

AJo, I'm happy to see a flop.

Calling is fine (if you plan on raising any turn), similarly raising is fine.

To a large extent I'd say it depends on how you play / plan to play actual steal hands.

I like to call and then raise, others like to generally raise then try and see a cheap river. Both are good lines, and I doubt there's much between them long term.

KDawgCometh
06-23-2005, 01:43 AM
I'd like this line a lot more if you had AQ and hit the Q for TP here. WIth the Jack there are enough overcards to come that would really make our hand suck. ALso by raising the flop you could very well have the villian three bet it and if you cap he is definetly calling you down. Get aggressive since he thinks that you are on a steal anyway