PDA

View Full Version : Health science question (wacki?)

SomethingClever
06-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I've heard that it takes a few hours of exercise to truly burn fat, because your body will burn its other energy sources first, only using the fat up when they are exhausted.

What if you tried to "cheat" your body by consuming only sugar and then exercising?

Since sugar burns rapidly, would it be possible to enter the fat burning stages more quickly?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to lose weight. I just have noticed that I become physically exhausted rapidly when I've had too much sugar. It made me wonder what my body was running on (while I was playing basketball), because I had clearly run out of sugar fuel.

wacki
06-22-2005, 08:01 PM
When consuming large quantities of sugar your body releases insulin to induce the cells to uptake the sugar and store it as fat. Once the sugar is used up, you are left with an overload of insulin and low blood sugar. Hence the sugar crash.

"Cheating" the body through a special diet is not a good idea. You will only cause some kind of chemical inbalance that will do more long term harm than good.

SomethingClever
06-22-2005, 08:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
When consuming large quantities of sugar your body releases insulin to induce the cells to uptake the sugar and store it as fat. Once the sugar is used up, you are left with an overload of insulin and low blood sugar. Hence the sugar crash.

"Cheating" the body through a special diet is not a good idea. You will only cause some kind of chemical inbalance that will do more long term harm than good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right, well, as I mentioned, I'm 6'1" and only 170 lbs, so I'm not trying to lose any weight, nor would I do this on purpose.

Just curious if it would actually work as an (unhealthy) weight loss measure.

wacki
06-22-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious if it would actually work as an (unhealthy) weight loss measure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sugar crash technique... no

Crystal meth.... yes

On the other hand there will some day be healthy ways to cheat by using leptin hormone control. This is still in the R&D phase and is some years off.

Maybe more later, time is precious and I have work to do.

wacki

OtisTheMarsupial
06-23-2005, 12:30 PM
You could try chemotherapy for rapid weight loss as well.

Aytumious
06-23-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could try chemotherapy for rapid weight loss as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if my health plan would cover that...

XxGodJrxX
06-24-2005, 12:43 AM
You could ALSO try joining a gym. I know it sounds radical, but it is how they did it in the good ol' days.

vulturesrow
06-24-2005, 01:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard that it takes a few hours of exercise to truly burn fat, because your body will burn its other energy sources first, only using the fat up when they are exhausted.

What if you tried to "cheat" your body by consuming only sugar and then exercising?

Since sugar burns rapidly, would it be possible to enter the fat burning stages more quickly?

Disclaimer: I'm not trying to lose weight. I just have noticed that I become physically exhausted rapidly when I've had too much sugar. It made me wonder what my body was running on (while I was playing basketball), because I had clearly run out of sugar fuel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even when your body burns up the available sources, fat burning doesnt provide "energy on demand". Its a slow process that isnt conducive to any sort of high intensity physical activity that makes large demands of instant energy.

DBowling
06-24-2005, 05:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since sugar burns rapidly

[/ QUOTE ]

no.

you will not burn 100 calories of sugar faster than you would 100 calories of complex carbohydrate if you are doing the same amount of excercise.

calories out vs calories in is the most important factor in losing fat/weight.