PDA

View Full Version : Except for Dilbert...

Rhone
06-22-2005, 06:57 PM
...I haven't laughed at a comic strip since Bloom County, Calvin & Hobbes, and the Far Side stopped publishing. Is this because:

1) I was much younger then and more easily amused
2) Writing a great comic is really damn hard and I was just lucky that these three great ones were around at the same time
3) There's a gem or two out there I don't know about that will have me rolling on the floor laughing the way I used to with the above strips.

?????

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-22-2005, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I haven't laughed at a comic strip since Doonsbury, Calvin & Hobbes, and the Far Side stopped publishing. Is this because:

2) Writing a great comic is really damn hard and I was just lucky that these three great ones were around at the same time
3) There's a gem or two out there I don't know about that will have me rolling on the floor laughing the way I used to with the above strips.

?????

[/ QUOTE ]
I was just thinking the same thing. I'm going to say it's #2. Oh, and take out the stuff about Doonsbury (not because it's still out there, but because it's not funny).

PoBoy321
06-22-2005, 07:00 PM
Doonesbury is still out there. Check the NY Times website.

Alobar
06-22-2005, 07:01 PM
you were young and easily amused, yet you found bloom county funny???

edited to reflect rhones edit /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rhone
06-22-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...I haven't laughed at a comic strip since Bloom County, Calvin & Hobbes, and the Far Side stopped publishing. Is this because:

?????

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm an idiot. I didn't mean Doonsbury, I meant Bloom County. original post edited

groo
06-22-2005, 07:53 PM
definately the three best of my life time. I get by on Foxtrot and Nonsequiter now.

Voltron87
06-22-2005, 07:56 PM
read the boondocks

Dilbert
06-22-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks for your support.

Gallopin Gael
06-22-2005, 08:28 PM
check out Get Fuzzy

woodguy
06-22-2005, 08:32 PM
The Duplex is good.
Not always good, but sometimes it makes me laugh outloud.
Not in the same ballpark as your original list, but that's the only comic I make an effort to read.

Try to find Spacemoose if you can and buy the book "Triumph of the Whim", the writer is Adam Thrasher.

It was in my campus newspaper when I went to University and it was a local cult favorite. Its absolutely outrageous.

Regards,
Woodguy

youtalkfunny
06-22-2005, 09:00 PM
Dagwood can get an LOL sometimes. Beetle Bailey, too (even though they've been doing the same joke for 100 years now).

But on the whole, Dilbert is the only one I can count upon.

Damn, Calvin and Hobbes was brilliant. I was going to order HOH2 from 2+2, but now I might get a C&H, instead.

(Can anyone tell me what is so special about Peanuts? I never understood its popularity. It's not funny, it's not touching, it's not, well, ANYTHING. I can handle Snoopy dancing around on the tv specials, but that's it.)

ClassicBob
06-22-2005, 09:03 PM
The Boondocks and Get Fuzzy are the two best things left.

HopeydaFish
06-22-2005, 09:24 PM
If anyone can explain to me how Family Circus and Marmaduke have managed to continue being published all these years, it would be much appreciated.

mason55
06-22-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If anyone can explain to me how Family Circus and Marmaduke have managed to continue being published all these years, it would be much appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not funny to begin with you don't have to worry about having to keep coming up with funny material.

HopeydaFish
06-22-2005, 09:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're not funny to begin with you don't have to worry about having to keep coming up with funny material.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grante, those comics are as putrid today as they were 50 years ago...but whose been reading them all these years? Who is their target audience? Is there a single poster on here who admits to finding either of those comic strips funny?

Alobar
06-23-2005, 02:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Grante, those comics are as putrid today as they were 50 years ago...but whose been reading them all these years? Who is their target audience? Is there a single poster on here who admits to finding either of those comic strips funny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its like old people who wear their shorts up around their armpits and wear socks with their sandals. NOBODY says they want to dress like that when they get old, but it ends up happening. Same is true for family circus, you swear you wont ever find it funny (cuz it isnt) and then one day you are 50 and cutting it out and hanging it on your fridge because jeffy reminds you of how cute your grandkids are.

on_thg
06-23-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Boondocks and Get Fuzzy are the two best things left.

[/ QUOTE ]

cbfair
06-23-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
check out Get Fuzzy

[/ QUOTE ]

Skipbidder
06-23-2005, 03:42 AM
I had three in mind after I read your original post.

Leading the list was Get Fuzzy. You've already had a couple suggestions for that. You can get it for free at:
http://www.comics.com/comics/getfuzzy/index.html

Another mainstream choice would be Foxtrot, freely available at: http://www.ucomics.com/foxtrot/

A little off the beaten path is Red Meat:
http://www.redmeat.com/redmeat/

If you are politically liberal, then try Tom Tomorrow (Dan Perkins) writing This Modern World or Ruben Bolling writing Tom the Dancing Bug. If you are not politically liberal, you might still enjoy the occastional Tom the Dancing Bug, but you would have to be a remarkable person to put up with This Modern World for too very long.
http://thismodernworld.com/
http://www.ucomics.com/tomthedancingbug/

MEbenhoe
06-23-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bloom County

[/ QUOTE ]

best comic strip ever

Rhone
06-23-2005, 09:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bloom County

[/ QUOTE ]

best comic strip ever

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know about the best, but it was really good. Ah, I miss Opus. One of my favorite strips is the top one here (http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/pages/favorite_strips.asp) .

jakethebake
06-23-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Marmaduke may have been funny for about a week. The dog is big! We get it!

Rhone
06-23-2005, 10:34 AM
It's not in the same league as the classics, IMO, but at least I chuckled a few times. I like the cat.

thanks for the suggestion.

chaas4747
06-23-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
check out Get Fuzzy

[/ QUOTE ]

Bradyams
06-23-2005, 10:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
check out Get Fuzzy

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

jakethebake
06-23-2005, 10:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
check out Get Fuzzy

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm looking at it now. One thing though...what the hell is he?

Aces McGee
06-23-2005, 12:57 PM
I've always enjoyed B.C. and the Wizard of Id. Are they no longer running?

-McGee

DeezNuts
06-23-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bloom County

[/ QUOTE ]

best comic strip ever

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved Bloom County, Outland, and to a lesser degree, the new Opus, but this is simply not true.

Anyone that doesn't have Calvin and Hobbes as the top all-time comic doesn't know what they are talking about.

DN

Patrick del Poker Grande
06-23-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone that doesn't have Calvin and Hobbes as the top all-time comic doesn't know what they are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll accept either Calvin & Hobbes or The Far Side. I'll also hear arguments for Dilbert.

jakethebake
06-23-2005, 01:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'll accept either Calvin & Hobbes or The Far Side. I'll also hear arguments for Dilbert.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Perfect.

Jerkass333
06-23-2005, 02:29 PM
I cant go on lurking when Pearls Before Swine doesnt get a mention in a comic strip thread. Its the best comic out there along with Foxtrot, Get Fuzzy and Dilbert. You guys are slipping, yo.

DemonDeac
06-23-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I cant go on lurking when Pearls Before Swine doesnt get a mention in a comic strip thread. Its the best comic out there along with Foxtrot, Get Fuzzy and Dilbert. You guys are slipping, yo.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. Pearls Before Swine is absolute genius. I save this comic for last when reading em.

Gallopin Gael
06-23-2005, 02:50 PM
I'm assuming that you are asking about Bucky.

He is a cantankerous siamese cat.

Rob Wilco is the owner who works in advertising and is a die hard Red Sox fan.

Satchell is the dog.

IndieMatty
06-23-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

?????

[/ QUOTE ]

You named the only good ones.

The Boondocks is pretty good, it gets a little too preachy, but it's funny.

Get Fuzzy is amusing as well.

And for best of all time? It's Far Side.

NorCalJosh
06-23-2005, 03:01 PM
dilbert has literally like a 1 in 25 chance of being funny. it can hit the mark sometimes, but other than that, its gotta be one of the most overrated comics of all time.

C&H is without a doubt the best comic ever made, period. bloom county ehhh not so much. but ok. far side was also great.

i dont have anything new to add to the list here... get fuzzy, foxtrot, boondocks, are all enjoyable.