PDA

View Full Version : AA and KK. Situations where you shouldn't raise pre-flop?

Unoriginalname
06-22-2005, 06:30 PM
I used to be guilty of slow-playing AA or KK quite frequently pre-flop. From reading these forums and books, however, I've had it beat into my head how bad an idea that is.

My question is though, are there situations where you think you should just check/call with them pre-flop?

Freudian
06-22-2005, 06:34 PM
Smallstack SB limps and you (in BB) have a good reason to think he will do a stop'n'go.

lastchance
06-22-2005, 06:40 PM
First, you need to be in position. Second, you need to know you're not letting BB and SB flop a cheap two pair. Without both of these conditions existing, I don't like slowplaying AA, and I think slowplaying KK would be really dumb.

pineapple888
06-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Sure, against over-aggressive players, I can think of plenty of situations.

The classic one is EP limp when you feel confident there will be action behind you, then pop everyone back with a re-raise.

Or if you can isolate a player who over-plays when they hit the flop, then just call them down to the river if they hit.

But you have to have a reason. I agree that it doesn't make sense to slow-play them as a matter of course, or when you are telegraphing your holding. I usually consider a slow-play only in the first few levels because it's too obvious afterwards.