PDA

View Full Version : Never Complete with Bring-In?

wamplerr
06-22-2005, 05:21 PM
I don't play much stud or stud 8, usually only in Horse tournaments online. But I saw this post from Perry Friedman, and seconded by Andy Bloch that they never complete when they are the bring-in in stud hi.
http://pokerforums.fulltiltpoker.com/viewtopic.php?t=26

I usually followed the same advice when I played Stud, but does the same follow with Stud Hi-Lo?

bigredlemon
06-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Basically, he's saying that since always completely when you have a strong hand is worse than never completing, you should never complete. His reasoning only makes sense if you are prevented from playing unpredictably like a poker player should.

lstream
06-22-2005, 06:34 PM
I don't agree with hard and fast rules like this. I believe there are rare circumstances where you should bring-in for the full amount, not to mention the need to be unpredictable sometimes. There are times where I feel I am very likely ahead as the bring-in, but the hand is very vulnerable. If the board is really dead, then sometimes I think it is worth a shot to dramatically thin the field. Once in a while, you can even steal the ante as the bring-in. If you have a tool where you can make a choice and have an impact I don't see why you would want to throw it away forever.

10-20Jerome
06-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Thats ignorant, if you dont complete get ready to throw your hand in on 4th or 5th or lose some money. As for the to predictable accpect(discussed in the link) start completeing with mediacore or junk hands that will take care of that.

You cant be scared to lose a few small bets here and there. If thats the case you should just play the no ante 1-5 version of stud. Ill give money, a small amount, away to take a large amount. It looks like Im just always throwing money away but in realaity Im setting the table up for a big if not huge pot. I see it all the time some shakey jake player wins the minimum with a huge hand. Not me I get large payoffs on my big hands. So if you want to win big you complete more often then not if you have a strong hand and its your turn to bring it in. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

beta1607
06-23-2005, 10:32 PM
The thing is this, you have to be able to open-complete/3-bet with hands like AA2 as well as a live 3 flush on occasion. If you cant make this move with drawing hands then you shouldn't with you big made hands - it depends on the player but is important if you want to move up to high limits in my opinion (hopefully some higher limit players will chime in on this)

10-20Jerome
06-24-2005, 10:45 AM
I agree with beta if you dont feel right three betting a 3 flush on your bring-in you should slow play your AA2. But if you want to win big pots I suggest the the frist option.

This should be a given but just in case, raise on your bring with a three flush only if your flush cards arent showing on the board.