PDA

View Full Version : Help me download music

MEbenhoe
06-22-2005, 04:36 PM
I want to download music, but none of the versions of Ares will work on my computer. Anytime I open one up it freezes up my computer. Any other ideas for me?

lucas9000
06-22-2005, 04:39 PM
soulseek

CollinEstes
06-22-2005, 04:42 PM
Download Bit torrent and then go to torrentspy.com. you can download full albums, movies, and television. Plus the industry is only trying to sue the sites not the users (yet).

spamuell
06-22-2005, 04:43 PM
bittorent

limewire

exeem

allofmp3.com

pilfering cds from your local record store

jakethebake
06-22-2005, 04:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Plus the industry is only trying to sue the sites not the users (yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're pretty sure about this?

CollinEstes
06-22-2005, 04:49 PM
Not 100% but I believe the MPAA and RICAA are only filing suits against people who share the files. They have to gather evidence on you and they do this by downloading 3-5 copyrighted materials from your computer. To date there hasn't been any leeches who have been suited. Only people who shared large amounts of songs. MPAA have recently filed suits on 5 bittorrent sites. The sites agree to close down, then a new one pops up. They are more concerned with shutting down Kazaa and P2P progams and the people who run the actual sites more than the people downloading specific torrents.

CollinEstes
06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Downloading tv is a whole-nother story all together. I think it is legal to download tv shows.

jakethebake
06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Yea. I don't know the details, but the RIAA has filed thousands of lawsuits against individual P2P users.

MEbenhoe
06-22-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Download Bit torrent and then go to torrentspy.com. you can download full albums, movies, and television. Plus the industry is only trying to sue the sites not the users (yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh, i'm so lost on this site, how do i find individual songs?

CollinEstes
Yeah all of those people where using P2P programs like Kazaa, Grokster, and others. But I am 99.9% sure that all of them are under suit for sharing copyrighted materials not accessing them. Also those suited usually left their options open so that people could search their entire directory, then an RIAA agent opens the directory and downloads several files from the same person. Then they can get a John Doe lawsuit and get the users name through suppena.

Uston
Ares is crap. The software is unreliable and the music selection isn't that great. Limewire is far, far better. Other than this recommendation, you don't need any help. Limewire's software and interface are as idiot-proof as can be.

CollinEstes
06-22-2005, 04:59 PM
If you use Limeware just make sure you don't share your entire directory or you are at risk of having charges filed against you. But Torrents are faster, and safer and they are the new file sharing. Limeware and Ares are on their way out.

jakethebake
06-22-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ares is crap. The software is unreliable and the music selection isn't that great. Limewire is far, far better. Other than this recommendation, you don't need any help. Limewire's software and interface are as idiot-proof as can be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good pron too.

MEbenhoe
06-22-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you use Limeware just make sure you don't share your entire directory or you are at risk of having charges filed against you. But Torrents are faster, and safer and they are the new file sharing. Limeware and Ares are on their way out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I got limewire and the torrent. I already prefer limewire. I was able to get stuff I wanted quickly, while the torrent thing I was having to search all over the place.

CollinEstes
06-22-2005, 05:08 PM
Fair enough. I was simply presenting my experiences. Once you have three-four good sites that have what you are looking for torrents are just as effective.

Happy stealing.

MEbenhoe
06-22-2005, 05:09 PM
Thanks for all the help, and thanks for not turning this into a debate on the ethics of downloading music.

CollinEstes
06-22-2005, 05:11 PM
No doubt. Why should I feel sorry for those multi-millionares, or an industry that ignored technology. Muck the RICAA and the MPAA.

Soul Daddy
06-22-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got limewire and the torrent. I already prefer limewire. I was able to get stuff I wanted quickly, while the torrent thing I was having to search all over the place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, if you're just looking for individual songs, limewire is probably best. Torrents are great for full albums, tv, and I suppose movies, though I haven't attempted that.