PDA

View Full Version : Dan Brown

kyro
06-22-2005, 03:00 PM
I'd say I did a search on him and nothing came up but let's save ourselves the bullshit and just come out with. I did no search. If it's been done before, sue me.

I read The DaVinci Code last summer in the 4 days I visited my girlfriend. I spent a lot of time with her, so that should give you some idea of how quickly I flew through it. I absolutely loved it. The ending I felt was a little weak (I was actually commenting to my girlfriend I couldn't remember exactly how it ended), but the math and puzzles made it the best book I had read in a while.

This past weekend, visiting a different girlfriend, I read Angels and Demons. I think I enjoyed this one more. Better plot, awesome ending. I couldn't put it down. Less math, and I'm by no means a religious person (always considered myself an agnostic but according to several people, I'm an atheist), but the religious theme made for a very interesting read.

I bought his newest book, Deception Point for the flight home and am about 50 pages into it. Anyone read it, and if so, what did you think about it?

Other comments about his books would be great.

jakethebake
06-22-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If it's been done before, sue me.

[/ QUOTE ]

My legal department is filing the papers as i type this. Expect to be served first thing in the morning.

jakethebake
06-22-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read Angels and Demons. I think I enjoyed this one more. Better plot, awesome ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and by the way, you are aware you're mentally retarded?

kyro
06-22-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I read Angels and Demons. I think I enjoyed this one more. Better plot, awesome ending.

[/ QUOTE ]

...and by the way, you are aware you're mentally retarded?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analysis. Thanks. At least we don't have to wonder how you reached 10K posts so quickly.

jakethebake
06-22-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good analysis. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome. And I assumed if you wanted to read someone's analysis, you'd have gone to one of the 10 other threads on this.

nolanfan34
06-22-2005, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good analysis. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome. And I assumed if you wanted to read someone's analysis, you'd have gone to one of the 10 other threads on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

There have been other threads, but not recently that I can think of. Lighten up.

To the OP, I enjoyed all of his books, but I read them in the same progression that you are, and the earlier ones aren't quite as good. Deception Point is pretty interesting though.

I'm interested to read his next one about the Free Masons, because I think it sounds intriguing.

kyro
06-22-2005, 03:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I'm interested to read his next one about the Free Masons, because I think it sounds intriguing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had no idea he had one coming out about the Freemasons. Is it already out? Is he in the process of writing it? I'm already excited for it.

CallMeIshmael
06-22-2005, 03:16 PM
I read A&Ds and had sort of mixed feelings on it. I felt it was a run romp, but not all that well written (in terms of the more technical aspects of writing in general)

I probably will read Da Vinci at some point, but Im not dying to read it either.

Also:

[ QUOTE ]
(always considered myself an agnostic but according to several people, I'm an atheist)

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant.

JimGil
06-22-2005, 03:17 PM
All of his books were good - however, the endings need some work. The ending to Angels and Demons was the worst - completely unrealistic. It was such a good book up the that point.

I found Deception Point to be the best one.

kyro
06-22-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I read A&Ds and had sort of mixed feelings on it. I felt it was a run romp, but not all that well written (in terms of the more technical aspects of writing in general)

I probably will read Da Vinci at some point, but Im not dying to read it either.

Also:

[ QUOTE ]
(always considered myself an agnostic but according to several people, I'm an atheist)

[/ QUOTE ]

brilliant.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you couldn't tell by my post, I'm a terrible writer. I probably enjoy reading terribly written works /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

CostaRicaBill
06-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Haven't read the other posts about Dan Brown, but "Angels and Demons" is absolutely god awful. While it's sprinkled with some interesting facts, the plot is utterly ridiculous and retarded.

"I couldn't believe I was opening the Pope's tomb, I couldn't believe I was standing in the Pope's office, I couldn't believe I was in the Pope's bathroom."

kyro
06-22-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Haven't read the other posts about Dan Brown, but "Angels and Demons" is absolutely god awful. While it's sprinkled with some interesting facts, the plot is utterly ridiculous and retarded.

"I couldn't believe I was opening the Pope's tomb, I couldn't believe I was standing in the Pope's office, I couldn't believe I was in the Pope's bathroom."

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting. This might explain why it wasn't very popular until DaVinci Code came out. I'm probably one of the very few people who enjoyed it as much as I did.

But to be honest. I don't think I'd be able to believe any of that stuff either. I guess we're all different.

Blarg
06-22-2005, 04:21 PM
There's no such thing as an agnostic being an atheist without knowing it, but to the extent calling an agnostic an atheist could possibly make sense or even come close to making sense at all, it does fit the description of how more unabashedly religious people might see and describe being an agnostic.

You've got to be careful who you let define terms.

Mansavage
06-22-2005, 04:28 PM
I read all four of his books during a one week stretch that contained virtually no sleep.

Angels & Demons is the best of his four books (Yes better that The Davinci Code) simply because it has the most engrossing plot. I enjoyed the conspiracy aspect of Davinci but still feel Angels was a better read.

Of the other two, Digital Fortress was the better book, but Deception Point had me turning pages non-stop also. Both are worthy reads, but fall very short of either Angels or Davinci.

The one thing that strikes me is the fact that all four plots are carbon copies of each other in a structural sense. I hope his fifth book is a bit different.

The once and future king
06-22-2005, 04:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Angels & Demons is the best of his four books (Yes better that The Davinci Code) simply because it has the most engrossing plot. I enjoyed the conspiracy aspect of Davinci but still feel Angels was a better read.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the first time ever my sarcsam detector must be broken. It is telling me that you actualy are genuine in the above comment.

Come on, what you meant to say was that Darren Browns work is a blasphesmy against human litrature and could only be be enjoyed by retards with no taste and no exposure to real writing.

CostaRicaBill
06-22-2005, 05:23 PM
I thought "Digital Fortress" was entertaining enough, but I almost threw "Angels and Demons" away before finishing it, I couldn't even believe that this was allowed to be released.

Duke
06-22-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For the first time ever my sarcsam detector must be broken. It is telling me that you actualy are genuine in the above comment.

Come on, what you meant to say was that Darren Browns work is a blasphesmy against human litrature and could only be be enjoyed by retards with no taste and no exposure to real writing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stephen King isn't much of a wordsmith either, but he tells some good stories.

Dan Brown weaves some facts with conjecture presented as facts. He gets so much right about the illegitimacy of Christianity, and then screws up when the Vatican was around. He gets locations wrong that he supposedly researched.

It all makes everything he says suspect, and since he precedes every book of his with a list of FACTs in the book, well, he comes across as nothing more than a hack.

~D