PDA

View Full Version : Windows re-install - How to save IE favorites?

FlFishOn
06-22-2005, 03:00 PM
This PC (#2 of 3) is a boil on my butt and it's getting wiped. All I really want to save is my IE favorites list. Anyone know where it lives and/or how to save it?

Nato76
06-22-2005, 03:03 PM
IF you have Windows XP it is in C:\Documents and Settings\(whatever your username is)\Favorites. The folder is very small and will fit on a floppy.

belloc
06-22-2005, 03:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IF you have Windows XP it is in C:\Documents and Settings\(whatever your username is)\Favorites. The folder is very small and will fit on a floppy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The cleaner way is not to copy the folder, but use the Import/Export feature of IE:

In IE, go to File menu, Import and Export. Follow the prompts to export your favorites. You'll end up with a file called "bookmark.htm" by default. After exporting, open the file with IE (File/Open) and check to see that it's got all of your favorites there, then you can put that file somewhere (floppy, CD, network drive, thumb drive, whatever) while you reformat.

When you've got the new PC ready to go, just reverse the process (choose import instead of export). Easy peasy.

FlFishOn
06-22-2005, 03:38 PM
I caught KRAimer, some remote access trojan and nothing has been right since. All my funds are in tact, PC is scrambled junk. I'm trying a simple XP re-install before a total wipe. I'm likely looking for more trouble, eh?

LetYouDown
06-22-2005, 04:11 PM
Download Microsoft Anti-Spyware from www.microsoft.com. (http://www.microsoft.com.) It's listed as their most popular download on the homepage I believe. It cleaned up my PC in ways that nothing else did. About the only piece of Microsoft software that I really like. I'd try that, see how it works and then try repairing/reinstalling the Windows installation.

FlFishOn
06-22-2005, 04:22 PM
That was how I found the trojan.

The Windows re-install seems to do the trick but some odd item tries to auto-install. I think it's trojan. The battle continues.

Nato76
06-22-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cleaner way is not to copy the folder, but use the Import/Export feature of IE:

In IE, go to File menu, Import and Export. Follow the prompts to export your favorites. You'll end up with a file called "bookmark.htm" by default. After exporting, open the file with IE (File/Open) and check to see that it's got all of your favorites there, then you can put that file somewhere (floppy, CD, network drive, thumb drive, whatever) while you reformat.

When you've got the new PC ready to go, just reverse the process (choose import instead of export). Easy peasy.

[/ QUOTE ]

This works but I was trying to make it as easy as possible. Either way.

belloc
06-22-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This works but I was trying to make it as easy as possible. Either way.

[/ QUOTE ]

Export favorites. (Reformat PC.) Import favorites. Easy.

This is certainly no more difficult than copying the folder, and the results are nicer. But as you say, either way.