PDA

View Full Version : $22: Bubble, shortstacked in the BB... is THIS a stop-and-go spot?

spentrent
06-22-2005, 02:53 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t1332)
UTG (t2765)
Button (t1660)
SB (t2243)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero ???

I folded because UTG had made some very loose calls 5-handed. However, if I had not had this read, is this the spot to use a stop-and-go? NOTE: The chip counts are BEFORE the blinds were posted.

jcm4ccc
06-22-2005, 03:00 PM
Definitely a stop-and-go spot. I don't know what I would have done if I had been playing your game, but the more I think about it, the more I think you should have done a stop-and-go and not folded this hand.

I think there are two ways to interpret the min-raise. Either a monster, or the villian wants to engage the small stack (i.e. you) but doesn't want to get involved with the bigger stacks. I vote for the latter. It seems to be a pretty common patttern to me.

You have some fold equity if you fold this hand, but only for the very next hand, I think (which you may not get to play, depending on the action of the two people in front of you). Once the small blind has passed you by, you have less than 3X the BB. So I think this is a good hand to take a risk. QJs is a pretty decent hand that wants to see all 5 cards.

Nottom
06-22-2005, 03:08 PM
I suppose its an ok spot. I usually like to have some sort of showdown value when runnign a stop and go, but with your chip stack you might not have a chance to find anything better than this spot.

pineapple888
06-22-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I folded because UTG had made some very loose calls 5-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what? You're the shorty, and if you fold here and in SB, your fold equity is just about gone. Time to take a stand now with a good hand. Stop-and-go.