PDA

View Full Version : Final Stupid Dog Post

HDPM
01-23-2003, 09:51 PM
I debated even posting this, but since I have posted about my stupid miserable dog in the past and some found some of the posts entertaining sort of, I decided to. Had to put the miserable thing down today, which is maybe the worst thing I've had to do. (Lucky life, but still miserable.) I barely slept last night and was just in knots about it. I won't go into detail as to why, but after seeking multiple opinions, I believe it was the right thing to do. So no more posts about the dog eating dry flies and somehow escaping injury, pointing and catching wasps and not escaping injury, eating saran wrap, splashing in the river chasing the fly when I was trying to fish, or any other assorted dog foibles. I know others have posted about putting down dogs and it is truly a miserable thing. His green mile included a Mc Donalds double cheese burger and getting his ears petted the way he liked while the injection went in. He went as peacefully as possible, but it is still bad. I never want to have to do that again and truly don't know if I will ever get another pet. But no more paw prints on white carpet or white bedspreads, no more being awakened by being licked at 5:00 am, no more having 75 pounds of crap jump on me when I get home, no more having the food HDPW cooked for me eaten off the counter. Man I'm going to miss that dog. The bottle of Bookers I got from a client is in serious jeopardy tonight.

IrishHand
01-23-2003, 10:10 PM
My condolences. I've had to put down a beloved family pet before and short of losing a (human) family member, I don't think I've experienced anything else that made me as sad.

Yours,
Irish

Zeno
01-23-2003, 10:26 PM
HDPM,

Hoist a glass of bookers to your dear departed companion and remember him well. Good friends are hard to come by.

Regards, Zeno

pufferfish
01-23-2003, 10:27 PM
When I was a frosh in college and still living at home, Bruno (beloved german shepard) got hit by a truck.

I took him to the vet and didn't visit for about a week. When I finally did he was emaciated and near death. I took him home and he died overnight.

Just telling this brings tears to my eyes. I feel so guilty about his death and still miss him terribly.

I feel for your loss. Take your time, but do get another dog. You can learn to love again (sappy but true).

tc,
pf

Clarkmeister
01-23-2003, 10:35 PM
I'm very sorry.

First time an internet post has ever made me cry. I'm a sap like that.

John Cole
01-24-2003, 02:13 AM
HDPM,

We had to put down Bella, our pit bull, who sat in my lap at the computer, played with the mailman and the ferrets, but couldn't stop attacking other dogs, a little over a year ago. A few months later I found her ball in the back of my car. Somehow, I just couldn't bring myself to throw it away. Stupid dog.

My condolences.

"That is all for now . . . because what it does to you when such a dog dies is not fit to print." --Vicki Hearne

nicky g
01-24-2003, 05:55 AM
Sorry about your dog, HPDM. That's very tough. I hope you're bearing up ok. Take care,
NG.

scalf
01-24-2003, 07:30 AM
/forums/images/icons/confused.gif truly a sad post, it's tuff losing your best friend...my sincere condolences....all i can say, is ; generally, it is ok after about a week; you do realize it was really worth it...but that doesn't mean ya run out and get another...gl /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

ripdog
01-24-2003, 01:06 PM
Bummer. I have an accident prone dog that is bound to go before her time. The best ones always do. As to not getting another, I can't fathom not having the company of those guys--they're absolutely hilarious. My previous dog died in 1995 and I'm almost over it. There will never be another like him. I'm sure you feel the same.

"If entry to heaven is based on merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

M2d
01-24-2003, 01:22 PM
condolences.

Phat Mack
01-24-2003, 01:22 PM
HDPM,

Sorry to hear your sad news. If I had to list the truest friends I have had in my life, the majority would have had two wheels or four paws.

Mack

P.S. How is HDPW taking it?

Jimbo
01-24-2003, 03:16 PM
Very sorry to hear about your loss HDPM. You have my sincere condolences, I have felt the same way in the past and can empathise with the way you are feeling. Perhaps someday you will find another of "man's best friends" as your new companion. Until then savor the good times you both had together.

John Feeney
01-24-2003, 05:51 PM
There really is something specail about dogs, isn't there? I've been through that last trip to the vet once before with a dog that was definitely a hall of famer. It's a hard thing. We have two dogs now, both mutts from the shelter. One, who was about four when we got him, revealed to us after about six weeks that he's epileptic. Nothing like a grand mal seizure at 1:00 a.m. to liven up the evening. But hey, now they're down to about once a month. Sometimes a dog that you thought you got cheaply turns out to be pretty expensive. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif But he's a good one, and a food thief too. The other is still a puppy at about 7 months old now, and is intent on completely destroying the house. (I guess dogs need hobbies too. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif ) Ah, it's an old house anyway. Well, take care. Sounds like yours was a good one.

John

HDPM
01-27-2003, 05:00 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. As to a couple of the questions, HDPW took it harder than I did I think. But I took it pretty hard, so maybe it was a tie. It was very hard the day after to deal with his stuff. We rounded up his food bowl, hut, kennel, and almost 40 pounds of food and took it to the local animal shelter to donate. Neither of us liked doing that much. No fun finding toys you forgot about etc.... As to getting another, I really don't think I will. Not just because of what happened this time, but because I don't think our lives are the most conducive to having a dog. But when we went to the shelter with all his stuff there were very cute puppies playing and I asked HDPW if maybe we should keep this stuff and get a puppy. We resisted, and it's too soon, but maybe someday. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif