PDA

View Full Version : I hate calling with KQ, but. . .

jeffraider
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB (t1390)
UTG (t1005)
MP (t2251)
Hero (t590)
SB (t2764)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t450</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero Pushes All-In, UTG calls t140.

What do you think?

My thoughts were, I really hate calling KQ like this, but I'm the short stack and no one else is in much danger except UTG and he's got nearly double my stack. I felt like I just had to go for it here, but I was also thinking that my one chance at having some fold equity was going to happen next hand when the BB would have 850ish left after posting and I'd be in the CO.

Sabrazack
06-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah, i would probably do the same thing. I consider the half stack raise by UTG a push and i think his range is not limited to high aces and PP:s only.

HesseJam
06-22-2005, 12:24 PM
Same here. You'll not get a lot of respect on your next hands anyways, so KQ might be as good as it gets.

KingDan
06-22-2005, 12:25 PM
This is not at all close.

Easy push.

the_joker
06-22-2005, 12:30 PM
I think it's highly dependent on what UTG's raising standards are. Also, if they are a good player, raising 1/2 their stack is very suspicious.

45suited
06-22-2005, 12:32 PM
Hero doesn't have a choice here. Push and pray that you're not dominated.

jeffraider
06-22-2005, 01:05 PM
Well, he ended up having me dominated with AQo and knocked me out. I feel pretty comfortable with pushing here but the only thing that made me hesitant was that he had previously been fairly solid, and he put in half of his stack. I thought it smelled like AA/KK/QQ/AK, but I didn't think that I could ignore the possible donk factor and my own poor chip position.

Karak567
06-22-2005, 01:18 PM
I disagree with everyone here.

What are you ahead of? I think best case scenario it's the wrong end of a coinflip - and that is rare.

I think I fold here and push the next hand.

Honestly, what is he raising with that won't be dominated... not much. You are basically giving up and putting yourself on the wrong end of 70/30 or worse.

I really don't like this, especially when you can push a couple more times before the BB hits you.

pooh74
06-22-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I disagree with everyone here.

What are you ahead of? I think best case scenario it's the wrong end of a coinflip - and that is rare.

I think I fold here and push the next hand.

Honestly, what is he raising with that won't be dominated... not much. You are basically giving up and putting yourself on the wrong end of 70/30 or worse.

I really don't like this, especially when you can push a couple more times before the BB hits you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was beginning to think I was crazy too. A half stack raise from UTG with 6BBs is not usually doing that with KJ, QJ etc...those times will be so rare they are negligible.

I would fold this and open push any time i had a chance to act first.

Nottom
06-22-2005, 02:46 PM
I'd fold unless the guy was doing this a lot. Half stack preflop raises are usually stronger hands than a push from the same player (they want action), I'd expect to be dominated here most of the time.

PapiChulo503
06-22-2005, 03:10 PM
I do the same.

If you wait do you think your going to see something better than KQ? You wont have any fold equity so anything you push with is getting called.

Karak567
06-22-2005, 03:11 PM
Yes you do have fold equity if you fold this hand. That's wrong.

And it doesn't matter how good KQ is if it is dominated.