PDA

View Full Version : Hand at Taj I want to double the raise is this a string bet?

Maulik
06-22-2005, 11:58 AM
Villian bets the river with obvious three of a kind. I have the nut flush.

Villian raises $400, I want to double that. I stack my chips and am one chip short. What happens?

arod15
06-22-2005, 12:09 PM
DID u say raise if u did it stands as min raise is double his bet. I think it would stand anyway. But always say raise and say the amount as that way if your short its not considered a string.

Dominic
06-22-2005, 12:09 PM
um, you go all-in. it's allowed.

JKDStudent
06-22-2005, 12:10 PM
You didn't say raise, so it's just a call. If you're playing a little 2/4 limit table, the dealer will often just let you know and give you the option to put in what you need to. But with that much money involved, the rules are going to be followed a bit more strictly. As such, it's just a call. If the floor was called over, that's probably what they'd rule, too.

Just get in the habit of saying "raise" if you want to raise.

Mike Gallo
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just get in the habit of saying "raise" if you want to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

trevorwc
06-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I don't know the house rules at the Taj - but in MOST places that I've played, if you put out half (or more) of the minimum raise, it's considered a raise, and you must complete it to the minimum.

However, I've also played at one place where if you didn't say raise, and didn't put out the full raise, you're SOL, you can only call.

So, I guess the answer is, it depends on the house rule.

superleeds
06-22-2005, 12:44 PM
were they reds? greens? blacks? I think your intent is obvious and the raise should stand altho with black chips I can see some people suspecting an angle. (I'm assuming your not all-in and wanted a reraise)

Maulik
06-22-2005, 12:49 PM
the chips were all multi-coloured and here they were all green. I think my intent is obvious.

superleeds
06-22-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm assuming the villian called the string in a last ditch attempt to see if his hand was good (deep down he knew it wasn't). Hope the floor did its job properly. nh

Maulik
06-22-2005, 01:15 PM
eventually when we showed our cards the hero who called every raise cold was shocked when we flipped over our cards. He had three fives Ace kicker. He saw my 34o which completed the straight. Villian was dumbfounded as I play extremely tight and usually high cards in position etc.

I'm still trying to get to the bottom of this, whether Taj and other AC rooms rule this as a string bet or not

trevorwc
06-22-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have the nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He saw my 34o which completed the straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

Maulik
06-22-2005, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have the nut flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
He saw my 34o which completed the straight.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry, that was a typo, I must have been out of it when I typed it earlier this morning. My holding was the wheel.

tpir90036
06-22-2005, 01:58 PM
This is one of the most confusing threads of all-time. Just learn how to play live poker and this will not happen next time. If you had not gone back to your stack yet you still have time to verbally state your intention while you are stacking: "raise", "i'm all-in", "i have the nut flush with 43o", "my wheel is a flush." anything like that.

mrkilla
06-22-2005, 02:08 PM
say bet when you want to bet, call when you want to call and raise when you want to raise. dont be a tool and just throw chips in no matter what your intention is call it out. If you bring chips out in your hand and your intention is to raise and your one short and didnt call raise befire its a string because you can not go back into your stack for a chip. If you do call raise you can go back and forth one chip at a time for all they care.
Lesson learned : call your action.

Maulik
06-22-2005, 02:16 PM
indeed; lesson learned.

my "raise" was considered a string bet.

nycplayer
06-22-2005, 03:19 PM
wow. This opens up all kind of angle shooting possibilities. Someone bets $100, I push out 2 stacks of 19 reds, bettor calls the 'raise', and then...

"Oh, sorry, I was just calling."

Not that I would ever do that, but some folks would.

BillE
06-22-2005, 04:34 PM
i have seen this happen at taj before. cant remember what exactly the bet was. but the attempted raiser had 80-90% of the amount that would be the minimum raise. the dealer only allowed a call. the floor came over and ruled the same. looking at the a/c rule books, it would seem that the half the bet or more rule only applies to limit. without a statement of "raise", in n/l you have to push out at least enough chips to make min raise.

Randy_Refeld
06-22-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Villian raises $400, I want to double that. I stack my chips and am one chip short. What happens?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your intent is clear so this is a raise. Some floorman somewhere might rule incorrectly so you should amke sure. Also there is some chance the floorman has a piece of the other player so will rule in his favor so don't let it get to the floor. Also in NL you are aloowed to bet in a continuous motion as oppossed to the single motion allowing in limit (if you have all these towers of chips in front of you you can keep coming back to your stack for more but you cna't pause and look aorund around tha table); also I would not rely on the floor being familiar with NL rules.

Jeffage
06-22-2005, 05:44 PM
Taj is unique in that it's raising rule is different from the norm. Simply put, you MUST bring forward all the money required to raise in one motion for it to be valid. Even a chip short is not enough unless you say raise before you do anything. This rule is strictly enforced there (AKA, if I put out 75 to raise the turn in a 20-40 game, I must just call). The Borg has standard raising rules (50% or more is a raise).

Jeff

Jeffage
06-22-2005, 05:48 PM
Randy, see my post...the Taj raise rule is unlike any I've seen at any cardroom anywhere...and they are very serious about it. I dislike the rule, but like the room and the action.

Jeff

Randy_Refeld
06-22-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Randy, see my post...the Taj raise rule is unlike any I've seen at any cardroom anywhere...and they are very serious about it. I dislike the rule, but like the room and the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, I have seen this rule and I don't like it. I understand AC has other non-standard rules such as half a bet reopening action in NL and there being a limit to the number of raises in NL.

Maulik
06-22-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks for letting me know the Borgata rules, that's where I'll be
playing. So I'll simply state my action.

Now before I let this thread go, its important I ask this. If I state
raise, does it still need to be a continious motion?

Example

I want to re-raise. I state raise. Put the size of the call in the pot
and ask the dealer to count the pot?

Percula
06-22-2005, 07:03 PM
Dont ask the dealer to count the pot. Know what it is yourself or ask the dealer to spread it out so you can more or less count it by eye.

Normal action for a raise:

1) Announce raise.

2) Annoucne the amount of the raise or total of the bet.

OR

3) Place the amount to call out, then place the raise out there in more or less one motion, see #2 if this is not easily done with two hands.

Randy_Refeld
06-22-2005, 07:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to re-raise. I state raise. Put the size of the call in the pot
and ask the dealer to count the pot?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can state raise and put out the amount of that call and then get more chips. Generally unless you are playing pot limit the dealer will not count the pot for you that would violate one player to a hand (you are responsible for knowing what the previous action was).

CashFlo
06-22-2005, 07:54 PM
all-in