PDA

View Full Version : 10/20: Experimenting

aflaba
06-22-2005, 11:34 AM
Earlier my style has been to pretty much
bet + bet + call down raise or fold.
But now I'm starting to develop my play with avoiding raises and inducing bluffs.

What do you think about this one?
I'm pretty satisfied.

This is against a TAG.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3 BB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

River: (3 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 5 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 7c Tc (two pair, tens and sevens).
BB has Ah 9c (high card, ace).
Outcome: Hero wins 5 BB. </font>

spamuell
06-22-2005, 11:43 AM
I don't like it because I think you're really unlikely to get bluff-raised here and you can basically check-fold the river if you're called on the turn against all but the trickiest TAGs.

But you lose half the pot every time you check and the river's a spade.

Lost Wages
06-22-2005, 11:47 AM
What's your plan if he bets the turn? If he bets again on the river? After he calls the flop, I don't think that you are ahead on the turn often enough to call a bet, much less two.

I think you bet/fold the turn. If he has Kx, no spade, he'll glady take the free card and has 8 outs to beat you.

Lost Wages

Entity
06-22-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't like it because I think you're really unlikely to get bluff-raised here and you can basically check-fold the river if you're called on the turn against all but the trickiest TAGs.

But you lose half the pot every time you check and the river's a spade.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you're all that likely to get bluff-raised, but I think you're going to pick up a bluff fairly often on the river or the turn when you check the turn, and you'll only forfeit half the pot ~19% of the time, which isn't a huge loss. If you induce a bluff from him on either the turn or the river ~28% of the time, it's breakeven at worst, but given the fact that it prevents you being moved off the best hand, there's some additional value in it.

Rob

Bluffoon
06-22-2005, 11:59 AM
I take this type of line a good bit. I wonder if the bluffs I catch and the raises I avoid make up for the bets I miss when I am ahead and could get calls. Even if it isnt quite +EV i like it against more agressive opponents as a way to keep them off balance and make them respect my checks a little bit.

rory
06-22-2005, 12:01 PM
This looks perfect to me.

aflaba
06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's your plan if he bets the turn? If he bets again on the river? After he calls the flop, I don't think that you are ahead on the turn often enough to call a bet, much less two.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough. I would have called him down. I think he would have a non-spade hand often enough. But my strong side has never been to put people on hands...

[ QUOTE ]
I think you bet/fold the turn. If he has Kx, no spade, he'll glady take the free card and has 8 outs to beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see myself getting bluffed out of the pot sometimes by a pair. Won't a TAG raise Kx on a turn like this sometimes? Instead of calling down to not have to split the pot when a spade hits the river. Or am I just paranoid?

If he would have folded Kx to my bet then I win more on his river bet than I lose when we split the pot.

aflaba
06-22-2005, 01:19 PM
And I'm 1:10 to hit my full house and win 6-7(?)BB the times he has a flush.

Derek in NYC
06-22-2005, 02:01 PM
Why do people think a 4th street bluff raise is unlikely?

Entity
06-22-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do people think a 4th street bluff raise is unlikely?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's unlikely enough that calling 2 bets on the turn and 1 UI on the river isn't a particularly pleasing prospect.

Rob

helpmeout
06-22-2005, 06:53 PM
Pretty standard