PDA

View Full Version : Today I played the worst poker of my life.

aflaba
06-22-2005, 09:07 AM
Today I played the worst poker of my life.

That's it. I just want to cry. Or kill someone. I don't know.

Subby
06-22-2005, 09:24 AM
We have all been there. I was there last night, in fact. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway, hang in there and obviously take a break that involves getting out and getting lots of fresh air.

glen
06-22-2005, 09:26 AM
i'm guessing you lost at least 1/3 of your bankroll, no?

GetThere1Time
06-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Atleast you didn't play the worst poker of my life. Then you'd really be in bad shape.

obsidian
06-22-2005, 09:36 AM
I'm in the middle of a 200BB downswing. It sucks. I am less than 1BB/hand with KK at the moment.

naphand
06-22-2005, 12:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Atleast you didn't play the worst poker of my life. Then you'd really be in bad shape.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Very funny.

Grisgra
06-22-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold, Jerry, gold!

Grisgra
06-22-2005, 12:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate it when I play bad poker. I'm at the point where I don't care about the downswing as much as I care about how much of it was due to completely horrible and donkish play (mostly of the calling-station variety).

On the other hand, you have to remember the times (like I had last night) that people were capping the turn with nothing but an overpair, or the river with nothing but bottom two-pair, or taking the lead on the river with nothing but an empty bluff and calling with bottom-pair-no-kicker won you the pot anyway. (Normally, when I call down in those situations and the guy shows me a set/boat/flush/straight, I feel like a complete and utter moron, i.e., "Of COURSE he had me beat, what the hell was I doing calling down? Who cares about the size of the pot, it was obvious I was screwed!")

Sometimes what seems like utter donkish play turns out to be just a run of being on the wrong side of the percentages.

Subby
06-22-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate it when I play bad poker. I'm at the point where I don't care about the downswing as much as I care about how much of it was due to completely horrible and donkish play (mostly of the calling-station variety).

On the other hand, you have to remember the times (like I had last night) that people were capping the turn with nothing but an overpair, or the river with nothing but bottom two-pair, or taking the lead on the river with nothing but an empty bluff and calling with bottom-pair-no-kicker won you the pot anyway. (Normally, when I call down in those situations and the guy shows me a set/boat/flush/straight, I feel like a complete and utter moron, i.e., "Of COURSE he had me beat, what the hell was I doing calling down? Who cares about the size of the pot, it was obvious I was screwed!")

Sometimes what seems like utter donkish play turns out to be just a run of being on the wrong side of the percentages.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow.

This is...I don't know...just an insanely good post.

Thank you.

mindflayer
06-22-2005, 12:53 PM
Serenity NOW!

chezlaw
06-22-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Played a satellite last night, thought there were 7 seats and went out 9th when I could almost certainly have folded into 8th place. Turned out there 8 seats.

Ended up winning $15 instead of a $150 seat and still feel like throwing up or buying a cat.

The $1500 I lost at 10/20 doesn't seem to bother me at all.

chez

Grisgra
06-22-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Played a satellite last night, thought there were 7 seats and went out 9th when I could almost certainly have folded into 8th place. Turned out there 8 seats.

Ended up winning $15 instead of a $150 seat and still feel like throwing up or buying a cat.

The $1500 I lost at 10/20 doesn't seem to bother me at all.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

I know exactly what you mean. A couple weeks ago I played 10/20 most of the day, but squoze a $20/2 NL Hold 'em SNG in there. Made an incredibly stupid all-in preflop with A3o near the bubble -- my stack wasn't large, but I wasn't even in the bottom 50% at the table. Bye-bye Grisgra.

Steaming over my bad play there completely cancelled out any joy I got that day from winning 30BB at 10/20. Looking back, obviously I'm much happier about the $600 win than about the $22 loss, but at the time, it really sucked.

I play tournies bad. Damn, do I play tournies bad. Okay, now I'm annoyed again.

rory
06-22-2005, 01:07 PM
www.tiltless.com (http://www.tiltless.com)

Grisgra
06-22-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is...I don't know...just an insanely good post.

Thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Another incident from last night that generally makes me feel like a donk, but ended up okay -- I hit the 2nd nut straight on the turn (I have 87 on a 69TK board) I raise the field for a nice pot, knowing I'm only behind to QJ, and then a Q hits on the river. Crap. Checked to me, I bet, and the preflop aggressor checkraises me. A third of my brain told me that I was doomed, he checkraised me on a 4-straight board, I'm hosed. A third of my brain told me that I had to call, big pot. And actually, the last third told me that he wouldn't play a 4-straight this way, the way he played his hand he probably doesn't have a jack unless he has JJ, and that I should 3-bet his ass.

Of course, I couldn't fold, and I didn't have the balls to raise, I just called. He showed me a frustrated QQ and I won the pot.

90%+ of the time, someone puts in extra money on a 4-straight board, you're hosed, and feel like a donk for calling. But 10% of the time . . . problem is that there can be big gaps of time between those 10%s, and in those gaps you feel like a donk.

Grisgra
06-22-2005, 01:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
www.tiltless.com (http://www.tiltless.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you taken Tommy's course, rory?

Turning Stone Pro
06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm still trying to claw my way back from a recent 500 BB downswing on PP 30-60. Plus, I couldnt pay the mortgage last month.

TSP

Grisgra
06-22-2005, 01:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm still trying to claw my way back from a recent 500 BB downswing on PP 30-60. Plus, I couldnt pay the mortgage last month.

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, that's $30,000.

sthief09
06-22-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't read enough 2+2 if you believe him

Grisgra
06-22-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't read enough 2+2 if you believe him

[/ QUOTE ]

All I know is that if it were true that'd be some horrible play along with some even more horrible bankroll management.

Nigel
06-22-2005, 03:38 PM
It's often easy to attribute bad luck to bad play.

If any of the plays you made that thought you might win you the pot had, you'd be thinking completely differently about the session.

We've all been there. Good luck.

Nigel

marsvolta619
06-22-2005, 05:23 PM
This thread is a big plot to make me start playing again after my horrendous downswing where someone hit a 1 outer in 3 straight hands. I hate you all you sick bastards

Subfallen
06-22-2005, 06:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

TSP

[/ QUOTE ]

Why must you lie like this? TSP, Freedom can only be found when we acknowledge the truth. /images/graemlins/frown.gif