PDA

View Full Version : AK-AQ-AJ with position vs donkish passive BB/SB

Mig
06-22-2005, 09:03 AM
Ok I played a lot of hands yesterday in a passive game.

I raise UTG it's folded to the BB/SB. One or both of them come. 2-3 handed. The flop comes all rags. They are usually 40-60 VPIP / 0.9 - 1.2 agrro. They donk bet the flop...

All you have is 2 overcards to the board and no backdoor. What do you do ? I found myself calling way too much with overcards yesterday vs that specific type of player. I lost quite a few BB... I think out of 15 times I had AJ + I paired 2-3 times. Bad run. Anyway. What should we do in these cases.
1. You raise the flop hope for a free turn and if you didn't pair on the river you fold ?
2. You raise the flop, bet the turn and take a free showdown.
3. If the board is coordinated you fold on the flop since you might be outdrawn anyway even if you pair.
4. In the case your raised the flop and he called, what do you do if he bets the turn ?

Yesterday I found myself playing agressively with AKo on boards like TT4 to find that he was calling with 24o /images/graemlins/smile.gif. That sure is the kind of player you want in your games but I never know what to do in that kind of situations..

Thanks for your help

GetThere1Time
06-22-2005, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1. You raise the flop hope for a free turn and if you didn't pair on the river you fold ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this depends on the player and the board. I'm more likely to call if the river pairs the board or puts the super obvious scare card up. Even passives will take a shot on the river if you bet the flop and check the turn.

[ QUOTE ]
2. You raise the flop, bet the turn and take a free showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my default play against the flop donk bet from the blinds. Just because players are more likely to c/r with a piece rather than fire out. In my experience, this bet means draw/cheese. There's occasionally someone who'll have it when they bet it. Sometimes he'll be a good player looking for a bet/3-bet, but that's all read dependent. Mostly the donk bet is cheese.

[ QUOTE ]
3. If the board is coordinated you fold on the flop since you might be outdrawn anyway even if you pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold is ok. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think reverse implied odds apply here?

[ QUOTE ]
4. In the case your raised the flop and he called, what do you do if he bets the turn ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fold. The donk bet is cheese, but I find that the stop-n-go is usually the goods.