PDA

View Full Version : I check behind on the flop for once

kurosh
06-22-2005, 06:25 AM
Party Poker 20/40 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $20.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (4.50 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

LarsVegas
06-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Checking behind on the flop with the initiative coming into the flop is potentially an extra asset in a strong player's arsenal, but it needs to be correctly balanced between checking good-to-excellent hands, and hands which totally misses the flop.

I think A-rag-rag rainbow vs one opponent is an incorrect spot to be checking in, as you should be betting that kind of flop every time regardless of what you hold (against one players for two bets preflop).

lars

kurosh
06-22-2005, 07:01 AM
My thinking about this time was since I raised out of the BB, that's a dead giveaway to a strong hand and the vast majority of strong hands contain an ace. Other people know this and they checkfold most of the time on an ace-high flop. Since my hand is not vulnerable, I can give a free card to let him improve/bluff at me.

ALL1N
06-22-2005, 07:15 AM
Flop check: whatever.

Must raise the turn though, IMO. If he's good enough to fold a pair to the turn raise he's good enough to check/fold river, but otherwise you're missing a bet.

He could also easily have a draw.

SpicyF
06-22-2005, 07:57 AM
I agree almost fully with Lars here.

Also, raise the turn, calling is just bad in this spot.

glen
06-22-2005, 08:58 AM
". . . and the vast majority of strong hands contain an ace."

really? I have to fully agree with spicy f's agreeing with lars assessment here. . .

YoureToast
06-22-2005, 09:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking about this time was since I raised out of the BB, that's a dead giveaway to a strong hand and the vast majority of strong hands contain an ace. Other people know this and they checkfold most of the time on an ace-high flop. Since my hand is not vulnerable, I can give a free card to let him improve/bluff at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is exactly how I think about this hand....Let the guy take a shot at the pot on the next card....My question here is: you called the turn, rather than raised. By only calling, you may be gaining a bet on the river, which you did, but you could be losing a bet if he calls your raise on the turn and calls your river bet after he checks to you. You also risk him giving up on the river if you only call his turn bet after a preflop raise from the BB. I'd like to know your thoughts on why you only called the turn bet (I don't think its wrong, but I struggle with this decision often).

kurosh
06-22-2005, 09:26 AM
I wasn't sure whether to raise or not. The check behind was a spur of the moment thing. I think raising is correct.

YoureToast
06-22-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't sure whether to raise or not. The check behind was a spur of the moment thing. I think raising is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has the case ace or a PP, raising is best; if he's on a bluff, calling is best. Therefore, what is correct is largely dependent on your read of the situation and the player.

Stuck
06-22-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has the case ace or a PP, raising is best; if he's on a bluff, calling is best. Therefore, what is correct is largely dependent on your read of the situation and the player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has more to do with the fact that on the flop there are no draws. On the turn there is now a flush and a straight draw. Its more likely your opponent has something to call the raise with.

tpir90036
06-22-2005, 12:11 PM
This only makes sense if you are actually checking when you miss once in a while. It has been my Party experience that when someone checks the flop in a short-handed pot after raising pre-flop -- they have a set somewhere around 100% of the time.

As an aside, checking behind when I completely miss once in a while and going for the 4th street continuation after your opponent checks twice has been very effective for me since the flop check looks so scary.

DcifrThs
06-22-2005, 02:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what about calling all in? hehe.

but i think about checking every time this happens....i never can do it...im betting all my hands like KQ QJs etc on this board vs. 1 opponent so if he happens to fold when i have the nuts, it sucks, but its life. i'll be in a betting spot w/ nothing a lot more than i'll be holding the nuts.

-Barron

SpicyF
06-22-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what about calling all in? hehe.

but i think about checking every time this happens....i never can do it...im betting all my hands like KQ QJs etc on this board vs. 1 opponent so if he happens to fold when i have the nuts, it sucks, but its life. i'll be in a betting spot w/ nothing a lot more than i'll be holding the nuts.

-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I think for party 15/30 the right play is ALWAYS to bet in this spot.