PDA

View Full Version : Note to self: Take better notes

NYCNative
06-22-2005, 06:25 AM
I want to do more note-taking on my opponents. What system do you use for this and what do you consider most important? I've been concentrating on villain's starting hands, position and how they played them, is this optimal?

Myst
06-22-2005, 06:36 AM
I like to keep track of what they are limping and raising with, and what their calling standards are and seem to be.

treeofwisdom7
06-22-2005, 06:37 AM
all of these notes that you have listed are notes that every great player has in their head.

most sit n go players dont take in depth notes but put players in a category. i.e. this player is a fish and can make any kind of dumb move. ..

i do take notes. but they are very rare. they look something like this .. this player trys to steal with flushes. this player will call a raise will any two cards. this player is a fish. ect...

Phill S
06-22-2005, 06:45 AM
I tend to concentrate on what they play early, what they do end game, and i place each player in generalised 'boxes' due to colour dot system on pokerroom/skins.

What you want to know is anything out of the ordinary, do they limp raise big hands? Do they bluff when shown weakness?

Specify notes by what level your observed it on, where they were in relation to the button, no of limpers raised into and such.

Go through pokertracker and pick out players who your have the most games with, make lots of notes on them and try and get into their head as much as possible. I REALLY need to get PT.

Phill

The once and future king
06-22-2005, 07:08 AM
The most important note of all relates to how likely someone is to call your raises/pushes. Also if someone is overly passive.

I also like to note is someone has a tendency to slowplay monsters from early positions as as I gain massive amounts of chips through PVS and aggression aggainst limpes so slowplaying can hurt me alot.

As you are involved in the mind bending tedium of playing 1 table at once, you have no excuses for not taking notes.

DeathbySuckout
06-22-2005, 07:08 AM
The best post I've found on taking notes (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=micro&Number=923884&fpart= &PHPSESSID=)

NYCNative
06-22-2005, 07:14 AM
I actually three-table now... I would do four but UB limites things to three. I don't have the monitor, accounts or inclination to do any more, but I can still take notes with three tables.

Phill S
06-22-2005, 07:18 AM
You should definately move to stars when they have their next bonus - or to PR or its skins for rakeback/bonus.

If your able to play 4 tables, moving site to take advantage of it should happen.

Phill

chisness
06-22-2005, 07:32 AM
it's impossible to keep track of hundreds of players you encounter, which is why it would make sense to make the written notes

zambonidrivr
06-22-2005, 09:19 AM
go buy pokeroffice. it tracks every hand of every opponent... and has table overlays as you play. great way to classify different players.

jk

45suited
06-22-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's impossible to keep track of hundreds of players you encounter, which is why it would make sense to make the written notes

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. NYC, you play the 11s on UB, right? I don't even bother taking any notes on my opponents on the PP 11s since the pool of players is so large. Maybe it's small enough on UB that you actually see the same player once in a while?

Because of the ridiculously large # of players on PP 11s, the only notes I keep are on my own play...

ChuckNorris
06-22-2005, 09:50 AM
I use a lot of notes. I almost always write a note when a player shows their hand: what blinds, position and stack sizes and what did he do, limp, raise 2-3BB or push. Unless the play is very standard, like limping pp's after several limpers or raising with AQ etc.

I write notes if a player limps or raises PF and then folds to raises. I also note when I see a player limping, then calling all-ins. I note if players limp big hands, and the situations where they do so. I write notes on players general passiveness/aggressivenes & looseness/tightness in the early, middle and late stages of the game.

I write notes on what hands they steal with and what hands they defend blinds with.

I play the 50+5's, and I think this is extremely useful, as I see a lot of the same players again and again.

ChuckNorris
06-22-2005, 09:54 AM
My memory and concentration is so bad that I would write notes even if I knew that I would never see the players again. I 4 table and I can't remember all the essential plays made by the 40 or less players at my tables at the moment.

Dr_Jeckyl_00
06-22-2005, 09:57 AM
I recently started adding notes. It has made a huge improvement so far on who I can push around and who to stay away from, who is loose vs tight, how do the bet and what does it mean (min bet/raise... standard... push), how they bet if they miss their hand vs if they make it, premium hands or any Qx-Ax...

Dr_Jeckyl_00
06-22-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My memory and concentration is so bad that I would write notes even if I knew that I would never see the players again. I 4 table and I can't remember all the essential plays made by the 40 or less players at my tables at the moment.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have trouble w/ 10 people... but I am now taking good notes!

eMarkM
06-22-2005, 10:18 AM
If we're talking specifically of SNGs, then I like to note when someone has seen me make aggressive plays on the bubble. Kind of a I-know-that-he-knows type of note. "Knows I can push with any two in LP on bubble" so I know that he will defend much more liberally against me at this stage.

I used to write notes like "fish" and "limps any suited" and the like for the bad players, but they turn over so much that you usually don't see the same player more than a few times in a span of days. So I don't bother with them anymore and concentrate on the better regulars.

A simple "2+2er" or "SNGer" is good to signify any regular here or imply by their play that they are knowledgable and good practitioners of all the SNG theory discussed here.