PDA

View Full Version : My Report Card (310 SNGs)

NYCNative
06-22-2005, 06:14 AM
Most of these are in the 11s although a handful have been in the 22s as of late. I'm actually doing better there although it's a small sample (cashed the last 6 in a row, but I just jinxed that). All at UB, needless to say. It took slightly over a month to do this many playing 3-tables at a time as of late (the UB limit).

ROI: 17.6% / ITM: 36.5%

1st - 14.5% / 45
2nd - 10.6% / 33
3rd - 11.3% / 35
4th - 11.0% / 34
5th - 14.5% / 45
6th - 11.3% / 35
7th - 10.0% / 31
8th - 9.7% / 30
9th - 4.2% / 13
10th - 2.9% / 9

So that's $629 profit in about a month on a roll that started out with $50 in it. Not much for you $215 eleventy-billion-tabling types but as long as I can soemtimes pay for things with poker winnings, I consider it a victory.

I have taken the lessons of this forum and it is helping me win - I wanted to be up at 20%/40% but I won't complain. I win more than I lose at home games as well.

My next step is to go over the many tens of thousands of hands I've imported into PokerTracker and see what I can learn from that. No doubt cringing at some of my plays from as recently as a month ago...

I'm still a LAG but I am a winning player at these levels and I hope to continue to improve and maybe move up the ranks thanks to the kindness and wisdom of fellow 2+2ers whom I NEVER have to play against since I play at the evil Ultimate Bet. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Although I'm undefeated when playing regs here - ask johnnybeef. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

chisness
06-22-2005, 06:22 AM
solid record, should probably consider doing party since you couldve added $75 or so to that from rakeback

treeofwisdom7
06-22-2005, 06:31 AM
i think you have me on ignore. anyway...

this is a good job and very simmilar to my stats. keep up the good work because making a profit is a good thing.

as the last poster suggested try out party/skin. why? because you will get a rakeback of 25+%. rakeback will help but wont make a big difference.

i think if you spent 1 week learning the party structure you would have a greater hourly rate and maybe a greater ROI. its easyer to learn how to play a good game in party.

i started from UB and now i understand why party is better.

GL

Phill S
06-22-2005, 06:34 AM
Funnilly enough your distribution of finishes is almost exactly the same as my latest recorded 130ish 20+2s at betonbet (though i expect my true rate to be a couple of points higher).

Your play seems solid enough from your results. 17.6% is something to be proud of - just work through your hand hists, try and find leaks and polish your game.

Your distribution of 4th through 1st is nice and its obvious your know a little about heads up play.

Early game is solid enough, your end game is certainly good, but the mid game is where you can pick up a few percentile points.

I need to get pokertracker thats for sure. Your a step ahead there; gl going over your games and post hands which your unsure of.

Edit:
[ QUOTE ]
as the last poster suggested try out party/skin. why? because you will get a rakeback of 25+%. rakeback will help but wont make a big difference.

i think if you spent 1 week learning the party structure you would have a greater hourly rate and maybe a greater ROI. its easyer to learn how to play a good game in party.

i started from UB and now i understand why party is better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Party is usually more profitable for hourly rates. 1500 chips games are generally better for ROI, but certainly better for developing your MTT tourney skills. Its my opinion, though cannot back this up with more than anecdotal evidence, that larger stack and slower (even slightly) structures equate to a lower variance overall.

Just cos everyone plays at party, doesnt mean you should (there are many factors why you shouldnt, the amount of 2+2 players is a big one). If i were recommending a fast structure site it would be prima.

Phill

Myst
06-22-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
rakeback will help but wont make a big difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha, Ive made $950 in rakeback so far this month alone...

treeofwisdom7
06-22-2005, 06:40 AM
at 100 games a week rakeback is like 200 a month kind of small

oh yah also i think you need to work on your 8th place finishes.

NYCNative
06-22-2005, 06:41 AM
I don't have you on ignore. I don't have anyone on ignore. Sorry if I gave you that impression.

I have played Party and I don't like it. I like playing suited connectors, seeing flops, making blind steals that don't involve pushing, making value bets on the river - essentially, I like playing poker.

The advise here has tightened my game up considerably and that has been a blessing but I still play far looser than most here. I can do that with more chips and longer levels without hurting myself. I consider that fun. (Please note that I don't begrudge anyone else what they want to do.)

I also have ZERO 2+2 competition and you fuckers are ROI-killers I'm sure...

johnnybeef
06-22-2005, 06:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also have ZERO 2+2 competition and you fuckers are ROI-killers I'm sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

but you do at jarrods!!!

[ QUOTE ]
I like playing suited connectors, seeing flops, making blind steals that don't involve pushing, making value bets on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

thats what mtts are for...sngs are for pure profit.

treeofwisdom7
06-22-2005, 06:48 AM
the only thing i didnt like about UB is the amount of time a sit n go would last..

and the fact that you really need to be aware of what players at the table are doing. this makes 3tbls harder.

NYCNative
06-22-2005, 06:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but you do at jarrods!!!

[/ QUOTE ]I do and I do pretty well there as you know. I am the reigning Westerville World Series of Poker POY, after all. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif And I paid off my credit cards thanks to the home games I've played and the occassional online MTT I've popped.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]One can profit and have fun, yes? As much as the thought of playing poker for a living is both intriguing and terrifying, if it ever became a "job," I'd go back to Scrabble which I was once very good at.

Phill S
06-22-2005, 06:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like playing suited connectors, seeing flops, making blind steals that don't involve pushing, making value bets on the river

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Because no one plays MTTs for profit? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I agree in many ways, but a lot of players struggle to adjust to the push/fold game that party is, i know im one who has struggled and given up on it (at least at the 800 chip games).

Also, by playing slightly longer SnGs you will develop the MTT game once you adjust slightly. I dont like playing MTTs, its a real rarity, however i got 4th in a 259 runner slow structured live tourney held in the UK recently - slower SnGs can be profitable in other ways.

Phill

NYCNative
06-22-2005, 06:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, by playing slightly longer SnGs you will develop the MTT game once you adjust slightly. I dont like playing MTTs, its a real rarity, however i got 4th in a 259 runner slow structured live tourney held in the UK recently - slower SnGs can be profitable in other ways.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree completely. I think that playing SNGs with more chips and slower levels lends itself to MTT skills as well as cash game skills to a degree. Certainly I have been able to apply SNG theory into MTT/cash games a lot more than if I played with half the chips and time.

treeofwisdom7
06-22-2005, 06:59 AM
this is what a sit n go at party is like.

1. you have a small read on the type of villian your against
2. some fish get killed early and you make some chips with big hands .
3. you start to get shortstacked so you take a 60-40 flip around the bubble which allows you to make itm.
4. you play smart itm and make heads up
5. you play like a nut itm and make 1st..

thats why i love party its that easy

Phill S
06-22-2005, 07:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this is what a sit n go at party is like.

1. you have a small read on the type of villian your against
2. some fish get killed early and you make some chips with big hands .
3. you start to get shortstacked so you take a 60-40 flip around the bubble which allows you to make itm.
4. you play smart itm and make heads up
5. you play like a nut itm and make 1st..

thats why i love party its that easy

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that sounds like fun.

Seriously though, i know the theory, just struggled to adjust to it - got a single figure ROI after just under a hundred games.

Poker should be fun as well as profitable. Party wasnt fun for me, others might disagree.

Phill

introv
06-22-2005, 08:04 AM
I've always thought there was something 'wrong' with me for not enjoying or being particulary successful during a (very) short spell at Party. Nice to know there are others that feel the same way.

I'm sure I could adjust, but I'm not sure I could have fun or learn how to play good tournament poker whilst doing so (at the lower levels at least).

I currently play £20/£30 ($60ish) 6 max SNG's on one of the Cryptologic sites. Great fun, plenty of play, don't take too long, and I have a 27% roi.

Sorry for the thread hijack /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

benza13
06-22-2005, 08:05 AM
I made the switch from UB to Party about a month ago. Long ago (well at least in my poker career) I tried free play on several of the big sites before depositing and liked UB the most by far. The interface is great and the tourney structures are as well. I still play there from time to time, especially in the MTTs as I can't stand the Party/skin structure for these. The switch to Party was motivated by one major factor - profit. I play on UB when I want to have fun for a while, playing ring games to attempt to convert some of that bonus dollar stack I have or MTTs to try and get that big score. UB's software is better, but the games are a little tighter IMO.

Between the experience I had learning on UB and this forum I have been a 29% ROI/41% ITM player on Party since the switch over about 400 games at the 11s. I still have plenty of leaks to improve on, but I am very happy with these stats and will probably be heading up to the $22s in another week or two. Sure at Party I am not learning as many skills that translate to other games besides SNGs, but the basic concepts are the same and bubble play doesn't change a whole lot, except perhaps more frequent callers in MTTs. If $/hr wasn't my only motivation at this point, I'd probably be back on UB, but for now at least I am very happy on the Party skins with my rakeback and the fishies.

Oh, and I do curse myself for being naive back in the day and getting all those accounts without any rakeback, D'oh!