PDA

View Full Version : top pair in a huge pot

dark_horse
06-22-2005, 05:01 AM
villian's stats after 148 hands is 32.2/9.4/1.1
table is very loose. (you should be hearing cash registers in your head with all those PF cold-calls)

i called villian's flop 3bet instead of capping because 1. i knew that nobody's folding to my cap and 2. to raise it on the turn because i was sure of all the draws out there. but once i got 3bet on the turn maybe i should have folded on the river if the king didn't come, however pot was so damn big and with those possible overcalls on the river, i just couldn't fold this. i think i played it right. feedback?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (16 SB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, MP1 folds, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (18 BB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (30 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls, Button folds.

Final Pot: 33 BB

JTG51
06-22-2005, 05:07 AM
Did you consider just calling the flop bet and waiting until the turn to raise?

therockofgibraltar
06-22-2005, 05:21 AM
The pot is huge at the flop and there might be a flush or/and straight draws. Not possible to protect your hand. Call. Raise the turn if safe card comes.

dark_horse
06-22-2005, 05:35 AM
ok, guess my only mistake then was raising the flop. you call the river though? calling the turn 3bet is a no-brainer as you easily have the odds to draw to the gutshot, although it looks like everyone else is drawing too. perhaps we only have 3 outs on the turn.

crunchy1
06-22-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, guess my only mistake then was raising the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since you raised the flop (and were consequently 3-bet) - I think raising the turn is a mistake as well. When 6 players call 2-cold behind you on the flop and then the original bettor 3-bets for value and everyone calls again - I don't see how we could possibly calculate enough pot equity to raise again on the turn. I can understand calling down with the gutshot - but after being 3-bet on the flop the turn raise was a mistake.

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps we only have 3 outs on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
And many times those 3 outs will have you splitting the pot with at least 1 (if not 2) other player.

markfife
06-22-2005, 10:06 AM
If hero was re-raised on the flop would it be correct to fold? I find myself losing a lot from calling aggressive players with top pair with this type of board, even if the 3 to a straight are low cards.

crunchy1
06-22-2005, 10:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If hero was re-raised on the flop would it be correct to fold? I find myself losing a lot from calling aggressive players with top pair with this type of board, even if the 3 to a straight are low cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
?!? Hero was re-raised on the flop.

I'm not folding for one more bet with the gutshot in this huge pot.