PDA

View Full Version : Singapore?

KaneKungFu123
06-22-2005, 03:57 AM
Im doing a visa run in Singapore with the girlfriend for 4 days and was curious if anyone has lived there, traveled there before. The hotels are pretty expensive, looks like I am going to take the Holiday Inn Parkview for $100+/night. My airplane is only $20 there. Any other recommendations?

Plan to do chinatown and the indian neighborhood, along with the underground marine world on the island, want to take a cable car over.

its hard to see past the glowing lights set up for tourists over only a few days...

mmcd
06-22-2005, 04:02 AM
Be sure to vandalize some parked cars while you are there.

KaneKungFu123
06-22-2005, 04:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Be sure to vandalize some parked cars while you are there.

[/ QUOTE ]
why would i do that?

Chairman Wood
06-22-2005, 04:12 AM
To get a caneing?

KaneKungFu123
06-22-2005, 04:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To get a caneing?

[/ QUOTE ]

On vacation?

Brainwalter
06-22-2005, 08:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My airplane is only $20 there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain.

Diplomat
06-22-2005, 09:00 AM
Excellent way to extend your stay.

Indefinitely.

Didn't you say you wanted new citizenship? /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-Diplomat

junkmail3
06-22-2005, 10:38 AM
I've been there.

Try finding a YMCA there, they are pretty cheap, and they are just hotels, it's odd, but that's where we stayed. The rooms were decent. All you would need really. Beds, no double/queen, but you can push two together. TV. Shower. Toilet. Breakfast. Elevators. Air Con. And there is no gym or anything like that. So, I don't know what the deal is, but it's just a hotel.

Website (http://www.ymcaih.com.sg/rates.htm)
Rooms are S$90 = 58 USD

Oh, and take a cab or subway everywhere. Cheap and safe.

If you want to go to the beach, go to malaysa. Singapore is known for horrible beaches. (and that little resort island they have sucks bad.)

Alcohol is really expensive. $20 for a six pack. $8/beer at a bar, etc.

KaneKungFu123
06-22-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My airplane is only $20 there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

www.airasia.com (http://www.airasia.com)

KaneKungFu123
06-22-2005, 11:24 AM
I think I am switching to the Roberston Quay at $60/night after all the taxes they add on. it has a nice looking pool in-room broadband at god knows what cost.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been there.

Try finding a YMCA there, they are pretty cheap, and they are just hotels, it's odd, but that's where we stayed. The rooms were decent. All you would need really. Beds, no double/queen, but you can push two together. TV. Shower. Toilet. Breakfast. Elevators. Air Con. And there is no gym or anything like that. So, I don't know what the deal is, but it's just a hotel.

Website (http://www.ymcaih.com.sg/rates.htm)
Rooms are S$90 = 58 USD

Oh, and take a cab or subway everywhere. Cheap and safe.

If you want to go to the beach, go to malaysa. Singapore is known for horrible beaches. (and that little resort island they have sucks bad.)

Alcohol is really expensive. $20 for a six pack. $8/beer at a bar, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

1800GAMBLER
06-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Where are you currently living, thailand somewhere?

jakethebake
06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait... Do I have this right? He lives in Thailand and is flying to Singapore to go to Chinatown?

StevieG
06-22-2005, 01:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any other recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't hesitate to eat at hawker centers, the food is good and cheap. Try fruit drinks, and experiment with selections like soursop.

There is a night zoo there. If you like zoos it is a nice change of pace, because the focus is on nocturnal animals, and it's better to be outside when the sun is not roasting you. You get right up next to some huge bats, see fisher cats on the prowl, etc.

KaneKungFu123
06-22-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait... Do I have this right? He lives in Thailand and is flying to Singapore to go to Chinatown?

[/ QUOTE ]

im not going solely to visit chinatown.

KaneKungFu123
06-22-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any other recommendations?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't hesitate to eat at hawker centers, the food is good and cheap. Try fruit drinks, and experiment with selections like soursop.

There is a night zoo there. If you like zoos it is a nice change of pace, because the focus is on nocturnal animals, and it's better to be outside when the sun is not roasting you. You get right up next to some huge bats, see fisher cats on the prowl, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

a day doesnt pass that i dont eat streetside.

i read about that zoo. will check that out.

TheWorstPlayer
06-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Botanical Gardens are cool. If you are there at the right time of the month, seeing the changing of the guard is cool and doesn't take long. I know you said you want to stay cheapish but the Fullerton often has great weekend rates and is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at. You can often stay there on the weekend for approx 150USD per night which is a great bargain (although obviously not cheap by any means). Might think about spending the week somewhere really cheap and splurging on the weekend, if you're into that sorta thing. Definitely check out Chimes and the Raffles long bar (although drinking at those ridiculously expensive spots is probably not worth it).