PDA

View Full Version : You, yes, YOU, can go to the Masters

ClaytonN
06-22-2005, 03:56 AM
I have been to the Masters tournament every single year since 1994 (when I was about 8 years old).

Only one year I have gone during an actual tournament round, and that was round 3 of 2003 (the year Mike Weir won). That was an extreme example.

Anyways, I would imagine a lot of you guys would think it would be really cool to go to Augusta National, but you all get the stigma through the media (and rightfull so) that a Masters ticket is one of the hardest in sports.

In fact, the actual tournament rounds (Thu-Sun) are some of the hardest tickets to come across. HOWEVER, the practice rounds Mon-Wed are very easy to get via scalpers. Usually you can get 2 tickets for anywhere from 75 to 125 apiece, depending on the location of the scalper. Yes, it's illegal, but who cares. We go every year.

The aspects of practice rounds are very different from the tournament rounds, but things are more social, the players actually sign autographs, and the players spend more time around the greens practicing chipping. If you're lucky enough to get a Wed round practice ticket, you can see the Par 3 tournament that afternoon.

Example of the kinds of things you'll hear at a practice round: This was one conversation overheard while I was following John Daly and Fuzzy Zoeller.

Fuzzy: "Damn John, how'd them TV manufacturers manage to put you on their screens? You take up all the space"

*crowd laughs

Daly: "At least I'm on TV"

*crowd laughs harder, goes "oooooooOOOOooo"

So, yeah, just figured I would let you all know. It's not that hard at all to go to practice rounds of the Masters. Go there at least once or twice before you die, trust me, it's worth it. I have seen Augusta National, Pinehurst, and Pebble Beach, and Augusta tops my lsit.

mcb
06-22-2005, 08:27 AM
I agree that going during the practice rounds is a great time. I know a person who plays in the pro-am at the Buick Open every year and it's a really laid back atmosphere. I get to walk inside the ropes on the actual course and am able talk with the pro who is in my friends group. I'm sure the Masters will be a little more strict, but a good time none the less.

holeplug
06-22-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Only one year I have gone during an actual tournament round, and that was round 3 of 2003 (the year Mike Weir won). That was an extreme example.

[/ QUOTE ]

How did you get a ticket to that??