PDA

View Full Version : Tricky situation w/AKs in BB

adspar
06-22-2005, 03:11 AM
Too passive or appropriate?

UTG is 34/17/1.2 in 30 hands
SB is 18/9/2.1 in 160 hands
(vp$ip/pfr/postflop AF)

Ultimate Bet 10/20 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG folds, SB calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (8.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

The Truth
06-22-2005, 04:00 AM
I would cap it off preflop. UTG is real bad, drain all the value from him you can. You have good equity here.
Post flop is an acceptable line. Raising the turn might be a better option, especially with the flush draw out there, and QQ would likely keep pushing, but there isn't anything blatantly wrong with calling down in this spot.

adspar
06-22-2005, 04:53 AM
I considered capping preflop, and appreciate your thoughts on that decision.

My main reason for not capping preflop was that if I get a favorable flop, SB probably checks to me and then I can only make them deal with one small bet on the flop. If I just call, SB probably bets most flops and I can raise and force UTG to either fold or make a bad call. Plus by calling the 3 I save a small bet if I whiff. If UTG had tighter stats I probably would have capped, figuring I was more likely to have him dominated.

A concern I had with the way I played this hand is that since I didn't cap preflop, maybe I need to pop it on a big street since the SB would have a tough time putting me on a hand that big.

adspar
06-22-2005, 04:55 AM
Also, happy birthday Mr Truth!

Mempho
06-22-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would cap it off preflop. UTG is real bad, drain all the value from him you can. You have good equity here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't these similar to Derb's numbers....VPIP less than 5% higher with a very similar PFR?

MrStretchie
06-22-2005, 04:22 PM
I like the preflop and flop play, for the reasons you specified. However I'm thinking if he's ahead, SB would either re-raise the flop or go for the CR on the turn. I'd say raise the turn.

stankphish
06-22-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, happy birthday Mr Truth!

[/ QUOTE ]

Its been The Truth's birthday since last week. Any relation to Paul Darden?

adspar
06-22-2005, 06:32 PM
However I'm thinking if he's ahead, SB would either re-raise the flop or go for the CR on the turn.

That was sticking in my mind too, although I could see AA, AK, or maybe JJ or TT playing like this stop and go after seeing a safe turn card.

adspar
06-22-2005, 06:46 PM
SB had QQ (no spade). MHIG.

In terms of the cards I had, I played this hand fine I think. That basically guided my decision to just call the 3bet and then raise the flop for reasons I outlined in my reply to The Truth.

In terms of thinking what cards the SB had, again I think I played this hand fine. For him to 3bet out of position, he probably has a big pocket pair, AK or maybe AQs. This guided my turn and river play, since against that range of hands, my doesn't look strong enough for a turn or river raise.

What I realized after the hand was that I didn't think enough about what the small blind was thinking. He 3bet a bad player hoping to knock me out and isolate, so I could probably expand his range down to maybe 77 and to include AJ and KQ. And with my just calling preflop he'd have a hard time putting me on a hand as big as AK. So maybe I should have put together that there was enough of a chance he'd have QQ, KQ, AJ, or AK that I could have raised on a big street.

I could raise the turn to charge a Q or the AJs flush draw, or I could raise the river so a hand like TT wouldn't 3bet me. Any preference there?