PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Gardens 30-60 overpair

Ryno
06-22-2005, 02:27 AM
Tight decent player raises in MP. Folded to me in SB, I 3-bet with QQ. Only MP calls.

I know he can fold, and he should know that I can too.

Flop is J84 rainbow. I bet and he raises. My line?

OnkelHotte
06-22-2005, 02:49 AM
reraise!

Robb
06-22-2005, 03:14 AM
Based on your opponent description seems like a nice place to call the flop and check-raise the turn.

3 betting the flop and leading the turn is fine too.

Also, with either play--if you
1) play against him fairly often
2) and don't want him laying down a jack
you have to occasionally do this with a worse hand than a pair of jacks. I've found that-- headsup if you 3 bet say an unimproved ace-king postflop just 10% or even 5% of the time--your opponent will pay you off every time with a jack here. A lot of players want to remember the 5% as closer to 30%.

Ryno
06-22-2005, 02:32 PM
"Based on your opponent description seems like a nice place to call the flop and check-raise the turn."

That is what I did...of course it didn't hurt that a Q fell on the turn /images/graemlins/smile.gif

"I've found that-- headsup if you 3 bet say an unimproved ace-king postflop just 10% or even 5% of the time--your opponent will pay you off every time with a jack here. A lot of players want to remember the 5% as closer to 30%. "

Excellent advice - thank you.

mike l.
06-22-2005, 02:39 PM
i only like overpair hands that involve folding.

rory
06-22-2005, 02:50 PM
If he is very aggressive calling the raise and trying to bet-3-bet the turn is a nice line. I think I just go for the check raise here though.