PDA

View Full Version : Earn rates - in Vegas

Scuba Chuck
06-22-2005, 01:19 AM
I recently read an article where a guy was interviewed who said that he only plays on Thursday-Saturday nights, roughly 40 weeks a year in Vegas. He went on to say that his annual earn from this is ~$120k a year. With this limited playing time (let's assume only 7-9 hours per session/night), what's the minimum limits this guy is playing? Feel free to answer in whatever your specialty. Limit, No-limit, whatever.

Thanks in advance, Scuba.
Good luck at the tables.

stinkypete
06-22-2005, 01:28 AM
40/80

Photoc
06-22-2005, 02:25 AM
If the average winning pro makes 1-1.5bb/hr. Then 120k/yr = about 2300/wk. At 40 hours that is roughly $57.00/hr. Which would mean that he is most likely playing 20/40 or 30/60.

stinkypete
06-22-2005, 02:29 AM
read the first post, it's 21-27 hours/week.

it might just barely still be doable at 30/60 though if it's 27 hours with them new shuffle machines.

Photoc
06-22-2005, 02:31 AM
Ahh yes, you are right. I thought it said thurs-monday.

Well my post is correct for the player playing 40 hours/wk! LOL

bdk3clash
06-22-2005, 02:32 AM
If he averages eight hours per session then he's playing 960 hours per year and earning $125 per hour. $40/80 seems more reasonable.

(edited to reflect your edit.)

Photoc
06-22-2005, 02:37 AM
repost

Scuba Chuck
06-22-2005, 09:27 AM
So is 40/80 that soft that one could really do that consistently? What game would you compare live 40/80 to online? Thanks.

Photoc
06-22-2005, 03:56 PM
I don't know if I'd consider 1 bet/hr being soft. It's going to be one of the tougher games you play in town. The softer ones are going to be your 500-1000 max buy in NL games, not the limit ones that attract all the pros. Most pros don't play NL in Vegas because they can't handle the swings.

bdk3clash
06-22-2005, 04:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if I'd consider 1 bet/hr being soft. It's going to be one of the tougher games you play in town. The softer ones are going to be your 500-1000 max buy in NL games, not the limit ones that attract all the pros. Most pros don't play NL in Vegas because they can't handle the swings.

[/ QUOTE ]
I suspect that the swings in $40/80 would be much bigger than the swings in $2/5 and $5/10 capped-buyin "no-limit" games, and I also suspect the potential earn rate is higher.

Photoc
06-22-2005, 04:38 PM
Na, I know some pro players pretty well and they all tell me the same thing. They are not willing to lose 1k or more on a suckout hands. 1 or 2 bets more is fine, but they dont want to risk all their chips unless it's the stone cold nutz, where as in limit, it's only going to cost 1 or 2 more bets if somone sucks out on you.

bdk3clash
06-22-2005, 04:57 PM
Where should I start?

[ QUOTE ]
Na, I know some pro players pretty well and they all tell me the same thing. They are not willing to lose 1k or more on a suckout hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
If these "pro players" are not willing to lose $1000 or more on "suckout hands" then they are either not playing very well or are underbankrolled for the games they play.

[ QUOTE ]
1 or 2 bets more is fine, but they dont want to risk all their chips unless it's the stone cold nutz...

[/ QUOTE ]
By "all their chips" I assume you mean "all their chips on the table at the time" which should be a relatively insignificant portion of their bankroll. And if they are only willing to "risk all their chips" with the "stone cold nutz" then they are not good no-limit players and shouldn't be playing anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
...where as in limit, it's only going to cost 1 or 2 more bets if somone sucks out on you.

[/ QUOTE ]
(This is also wrong. If someone outdraws you it costs you the pot, not just the bets you put in once you're behind.)

Besides, I think it's incredibly counterproductive to focus on short-term fluctuations, and one pot is about as short-term as you can get. I really don't think that good players fret about getting "sucked out on." In fact, I generally assume that people that use that kind of terminology aren't very good at all because they're thinking about all the wrong things.

iceman5
06-22-2005, 05:01 PM
I dont know what games most Vegas pros play in Vegas because Ive only played there twice, but from my experience, the swings are much much bigger in limit than they are in NL.

Of course if you play a very LAGGY style your swings will be big in NL also, but from what I saw of the play in Vegas, you dont need to make alot of big crazy bluffs to win. I would think the swings would be pretty small in a $5/$10NL game in Vegas.

meow_meow
06-23-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dont know what games most Vegas pros play in Vegas because Ive only played there twice, but from my experience, the swings are much much bigger in limit than they are in NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

The variance is so much smaller in NL

bdk3clash
06-24-2005, 10:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The variance is so much smaller in NL

[/ QUOTE ]
You realize that you and iceman are in agreement, right?

TomCollins
06-24-2005, 11:08 PM
Your variance in 40/80 will be significantly higher than a NL 500 game in Vegas. Especially on Thursday-Sundays.