PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Baseball...please read.

dawade
06-22-2005, 12:33 AM
Am I imagining things or do the teams rotate farm clubs? The Nashville Sounds were the AAA affiliate for the Pirates last year and now they are the affiliate for the Brewers? Please explain.

I only noticed because Prince Fielder and Tony Gwynn Jr. used to play for the Huntsville Starrs (the Brewers farm club) and the other day in the box score I saw Fielder hitting a HR or something for the Sounds!

Jack of Arcades
06-22-2005, 12:39 AM
Yes, they do. Uh, what more do you want than that?

Los Feliz Slim
06-22-2005, 12:47 AM
I go to 4-5 Single A games in SoCal a year, those teams change affiliations all the time.

If you're a baseball fan, you owe it to yourself to find the minor league teams that play near you and visit them. It's awesome.

antidan444
06-22-2005, 01:59 AM
It is awesome. And since no one has said it yet, it's also about the best CHEAP entertainment you can find. I live in a town with a single-A team, it costs me $8 to sit directly behind the backstop. It rules.

Dead
06-22-2005, 02:50 AM
I go to Syracuse Skychiefs games(AAA team for the Blue Jays). It is really cool because I got to meet Roy Halladay and Delgado when he was here. I got their autographs and hung out with them for a bit. And the tickets are only like 6 bucks.

dawade
06-22-2005, 05:11 PM
Just curious about how the teams rotate and if there is a chance the Sounds or Huntsville Stars will be the Astros affiliate anytime soon. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Soul Daddy
06-22-2005, 05:16 PM
They don't exactly rotate. MLB teams just occasionally switch the minor league teams that are affiliated with them, usually for business reasons.

Wingnut
06-22-2005, 05:34 PM
The Astros' AAA team is in Round Rock (Austin)

Their AA is in Corpus Christi

Usually once they get their farm teams within such close proximity, they don't change them that often, to keep travel costs down. If new ownership of the minor-league franchise wanted to move (as the Albuquerque Dukes did a few years back), then usually affiliations are up for grabs. But I wouldn't hold my breath for the Astros' upper level farmhands to be anywhere outside of Texas for a long while.

CollinEstes
06-22-2005, 05:35 PM
Hell one of the funniest things to see is the puffy taco race at the San Antonio Missions' games. The huge mascot of a taco starts at first then a kid starts at home they run around and the kid tries to catch the taco before it gets to home plate. But the funny thing is when the kid catches the taco, BOOM he takes him down. Good times.

blatz
06-22-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Astros' AAA team is in Round Rock (Austin)

Their AA is in Corpus Christi

Usually once they get their farm teams within such close proximity, they don't change them that often, to keep travel costs down. If new ownership of the minor-league franchise wanted to move (as the Albuquerque Dukes did a few years back), then usually affiliations are up for grabs. But I wouldn't hold my breath for the Astros' upper level farmhands to be anywhere outside of Texas for a long while.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until this season, the Astros AAA team was the New Orleans Zepyrs. Worked out well, as we are as close to Houston as anything else...8 hours, and Astro games are broadcast on the radio here. Now we have the Washington Nationals, pretty disconnected.

mason55
06-22-2005, 07:11 PM
The Columbus Clippers have been with the Yankees for-ev-er.

dawade
06-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Yeah I knew they were the Zephry's last season because on MVP 2004 that was listed as their AAA team and then this year it showed the Express I was like WTF?