PDA

View Full Version : Go Cleveland!

10-10-2001, 02:22 PM
Nothing like being a diehard Tribe fan in Seattle right now. Cleveland showed the Mariners that their great record gets them nowhere now. If anyone can win 3 of 4 its Seattle but expect the Indians to keep the pressure on. Seeing the Indians (got I hate that nickname!) win with pitching and base hits must have been especially disheartening to the Ms. Anything can happen but I like the Indians' chances. They have a tough veteran team who know that this might be their last chance together. They showed a lot of intensity yesterday and certainly have the momentum going into Game 2. Go Tribe!

KJS

10-10-2001, 07:05 PM
Wear all your Tribe gear with pride! Wear it in liberal company. It will be ok even though you know the nickname is politically incorrect. Seattle needs to be shaken up. Hey, a crossdresser on a commie show could wear a Tribe hat. So can you. :-)

10-10-2001, 07:42 PM
The Cleveland fans are jumping back on the bandwagon now that their team has won one!

As a current Washingtonian and Twins fan I will stick with the home team. Go Mariners Go.

Ken Poklitar

10-10-2001, 08:21 PM
Others maybe but I am dyed in the wool Ken. I worked as an usher at Municipal Stadium ("The Mistake on the Lake") through high school, saw Len Barker's perfect game in '81 and spent many other evenings watching Indians teams that finished in the cellar year after year. Got mlb.com's audio package this year and listened to about 3/4 of the games live as well as checking them out at The Safe last month. This team if for real. The Ms have their hands full now.

KJS

10-11-2001, 05:42 AM
Wow did you ever see Gaylord Perry pitch on $0.10 beer night? I used to go to a lot of Tribe games up until about 1975. I'm still an Indians fan and it's been much easier since 1995. I certainly think that the Indians can win the series but it was only one game. The Mariners weren't 70 games over 500 without having an outstanding team. Moyer goes today and he's been tough on the Tribe this year and Finley I think it's fair to say has been somewhat of a disappointment to this point. Finley's capable of pitching a good game though. I also wonder about the middle of the Mariner's batting order with Boone having a career year. We'll see. Go Tribe.

10-11-2001, 01:11 PM
Problem is they have Chuck Finley going today. Final score of today's game will be Seattle 9, Cleveland 2.

By the way, most of my friends ask me for baseball and football score predictions and then bet exactly the opposite way. With success.

10-11-2001, 02:36 PM
Tom,

I am guessing you got me by a few years. I was born in 1970, so I may have seen Gaylord on $.10 beer night but my dad was the only one drinking if I did. I was only 11 when I went to Len Barker's perfect game. I remember being pretty darn bored until about the 7th when people started realizing what was happening. My program's scorecard is blank after the 4th because it wasn't exciting to do anymore. My mom took us back the next night to have Barker sign our tickets and programs, which I still have. I also remember that it was written into the lease of the old Stadium that if a Tribe pitcher was perfect they would give away a Caddie. Some guy a section away from us won it.

Working there in the late 80s was kind of a downer. The cops wanted to make sure that the fans were not too spread out so the new ushers were assigned to cover whole sections of General Admission, making sure no one sat there. Still, I got to see some other great teams of that era and a few good Indians performances. Ironically, I have never been to Jacobs Field. Left Cleveland in 1991 and have not been able to get tickets on my 5 or so trips back home since then.

This Ms series is far from over. I went to the game the last time Finley started in Seattle and they did not have too much trouble with him. They will not roll over. Their bats are solid and they make a lot happen with timely hitting and running. Cleveland need to keep them off the bases with no outs or it'll be a long day. I still think the Tribe can do it but it won't be easy.

KJS

St. Edward High School, class of 1988

10-12-2001, 02:25 PM
Yep I'm a little older. Left that place in 76 and have only been back once in 84. I'm a west sider too, graduated from CWRU in 73.