PDA

View Full Version : British Open

Clarkmeister
06-21-2005, 11:10 PM
It's Nicklaus' final tournament. They moved it up in the rotation just for him. He's my Dad's favorite athlete ever, by far. I've been harping on him to go for months and he finally caved in and is going with a buddy of his. I am super excited for him and glad he's spending some of his hard earned money on something like this. The question now is whether or not I go with him. Either way, I'm glad he's going, but now I've got a tough choice.

eric5148
06-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Go for it. I'm looking forward to a trip report already.

2+2 wannabe
06-21-2005, 11:26 PM
no

the cost of going >>>>>>> cost of almost any other sporting event (including flights and stuff - assuming you're from north america)

save your $$$$$$$$ for the final four

Clarkmeister
06-21-2005, 11:30 PM
Bout $3k for the 5-day trip plus the joy of jet lag and burning 5 days off work.

The critical thing to me was that HE went. Me going is just icing, but not critical.

HDPM
06-21-2005, 11:40 PM
3k sounds OK. 5 days seems short. Taking the time off can be hard. But man, to see the Open where it is meant to be played w/ your father could be cool. As for me, I have not gone to Scotland, but I intend to someday. When I go I want to have some time there and I want to play golf myself, not watch it. But the trip sounds good. I agree it is mandatory for your father.

Clarkmeister
06-21-2005, 11:41 PM
6 days, my bad.

Chairman Wood
06-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Clark,
Why is it a tough decision (not meant to be rhetorical)? What things weigh in the balance that you have to consider?
Couple of things, do you actually enjoy going and watching golf? Is golf something special that you and your father have shared together for a long time? If so, I would not miss this oppurtunity. If he just really enjoys golf but you did not really do much of it together than I wouldn't really think this is such a a big deal.

Clarkmeister
06-22-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why is it a tough decision

[/ QUOTE ]

Busy month in July. St. Louis for a week to start the month. Then I close on my first home. Last weekend is a trip to LA with my Dad for the Cardinals-Dodgers series (we are die-hard Cards fans). In between I still have that pesky work thingy where they expect me to actually do stuff. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Busy busy month.

partygirluk
06-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Where is it taking place this year?

Clarkmeister
06-22-2005, 12:02 AM
The old course.

Clarkmeister
06-22-2005, 12:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The old course.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, it wasn't supposed to be there until like 3 more years and they moved it up because Jack said he'd play one last time if it was at St. Andrews.

Chairman Wood
06-22-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Busy month in July. St. Louis for a week to start the month. Then I close on my first home. Last weekend is a trip to LA with my Dad for the Cardinals-Dodgers series (we are die-hard Cards fans). In between I still have that pesky work thingy where they expect me to actually do stuff.

Busy busy month.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've always loved the cards too. I think it was just because I was drawn to them when I was very little because of the bright red hats. I think I may even like them more than the Tigers but that is easy looking over the last 15 years. Anyway, I don't really think it will be a big deal especially if you are going to LA with him to watch baseball. Do you think you enjoyed watching baseball together as much as golf?

touchfaith
06-22-2005, 12:07 AM
Go.

Bring a nice camera and make a point to get as many candid pictures of your father, with his friend, as possible.

Thank me in 20 years.

Clarkmeister
06-22-2005, 12:11 AM
We went to Game 7 of the 1982 World Series together in St. Louis when the Cards beat the Brewers 6-3. Andujar to Sutter to complete the comeback from down 3 games to 1.

Clarkmeister
06-22-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go.

Bring a nice camera and make a point to get as many candid pictures of your father, with his friend, as possible.

Thank me in 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

Compelling argument.

nolanfan34
06-22-2005, 12:19 AM
I think given the fact that you clearly have a great history attending big events with your father, you may be underestimating how much it will mean to HIM that you'd take time out of a busy month to make that trip. I may be wrong, but I think the short term hassle of being busy in July, is going to be far outweighed by the memory of seeing Nicklaus play for the last time at St. Andrews with your Dad.

holeplug
06-22-2005, 12:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Go.

Thank me in 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

JTrout
06-22-2005, 12:57 AM
what Nolan said...

partygirluk
06-22-2005, 01:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The old course.

[/ QUOTE ]

BTW, it wasn't supposed to be there until like 3 more years and they moved it up because Jack said he'd play one last time if it was at St. Andrews.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, Scotland is exceptionally beautiful. And the weather should be half-decent in mid-July. You should have a great time, more so if you like beautiful scenery and lovely walks.

brassnuts
06-22-2005, 01:11 AM
Go. You'll regret not going.

mason55
06-22-2005, 01:23 AM
Nicklaus went to my middle school and high school. "The Golden Bear" was our mascot, thus his nickname.

Nothing to add, just think it's cool.

andyfox
06-22-2005, 01:47 AM
It'd be a once-in-a-lifetime special experience for you and your dad. Do it if you at all can.

andyfox
06-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Which is more than four hundred years old.

Go!

Clarkmeister
06-22-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It'd be a once-in-a-lifetime special experience for you and your dad. Do it if you at all can.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd sure give us all something to talk about on Friday night at Chavez Ravine.

Eurotrash
06-22-2005, 02:25 AM
Clark, you must go.

Oh, and it's the Open Championship /images/graemlins/grin.gif

ClaytonN
06-22-2005, 03:51 AM
Make sure to frequent at least 1 or 2 of the old pubs around the old course area

Also, keep in mind that this course is very much different from American golf courses when it comes to spectating. It's much more flat (though bumpy) and there's action all around you. I mean, no trees. Like, none.

With that said, get some good binoculars, a good camera for taking pictures, and get VERY COMFORTABLE SHOES.

daveymck
06-22-2005, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The old course.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, Scotland is exceptionally beautiful. And the weather should be half-decent in mid-July. You should have a great time, more so if you like beautiful scenery and lovely walks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes Scotland mid July wil probably be only 2 jumper weather rather than the usual 4 or 5.

While there have a drive from saint Andrews up towards Ben Nevis very nice area also a couple of decent whiskey place to visit too.

andyfox
06-22-2005, 12:01 PM
At least with Gagne gone, I won't feel like I'm missing something when I leave early. Hopefully the Dodgers will have won another ball game by then. My dad, in typical dad fashion, says this is the worst he's ever seen them play since he's been a fan. Which is since 1926.

This, too, shall pass, dad.

ericd
06-22-2005, 12:45 PM
If at all possible you should go. Being able to share with your father something that means so much to him is an opportunity that comes along so rarely. I know as both a father and a son these are the times I treasure.

judgesmails
06-22-2005, 01:58 PM
While I have not been to St. Andrews during an Open, I did make a golf trip over there a few years back and had a wonderfull time. It is a very unique town and if you are a golfer and a golf fan I cannot believe you would regret one second of your trip - particularily if you are close with your father and golf is a meaningfull part of your relationship, as it is with many father/sons. You likely will not have another opportunity quite like this.

partygirluk
07-08-2005, 11:37 AM
So are coming?

MoreWineII
07-08-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Go.

Thank me in 20 years.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister
07-09-2005, 03:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So are coming?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the timing didn't work out.