PDA

View Full Version : Worst poker professional of all time.

rusty JEDI
01-23-2003, 07:11 AM
the best ever thread got me thinking. how about the worst professional of all time, that has been known to win, or that has been put on a high pedistal (sp).

I guess what i am trying to say, is who is the most overated.

MRBAA
01-23-2003, 12:20 PM
Sounds like Mason might nominate Johnny Moss. Prior to his post, I had always read that Moss was among the best players of his era.

Two players I'd nominate for underrated would be the late Jack Straus, who sounds like he was just brilliant in big bet games, and Roy Cooke. Cooke seems to get very little respect, but from his writing and the fact that he has been an active mid limit player for so long, I believe must be a really solid limit player.

The _Grifter
01-23-2003, 03:30 PM
" Two players I'd nominate for underrated would be the late Jack Straus, "

Just curious as to why you think Strauss is underrated ?

I never thought that to be the case.

The Grifter

Josh W
01-23-2003, 03:30 PM
I think that any WSOP winner that is perceived great just because of their win would qualify (I say "just because" not to belittle the accomplishment, rather to say that they've done nothing else).

Guys like Noel Furhlong, Robert Varkonyi, etc...

In my opinion, the three players I respect most right now (for both tournies and side games) are Alan Cunningham, John Juanda, and Phil Ivey. I've played with all of them, and they are all amazing at a number of different games.

Josh

Greg (FossilMan)
01-23-2003, 06:28 PM
Puggy Pearson. There may be worse professional players who are thought highly of (in terms of skill), but he's the worst that I've personally played with. His skills seemed limited to shooting angles and putting others on tilt.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

olemissgolf
01-23-2003, 06:43 PM
I think the worst poker professional would be someone with the best poker playing skills, but is constantly broke.
In the sense that a "poker professional" makes a living by playing poker, I would think the best is the one who makes the best living, and the worst is the one who is always broke.
Since their are probably many who are broke, in my eyes the best player of all the broke professionals is the worst poker professional.
In the most overrated category, I agree that you start with WSOP winners and pick a name.

Ray Zee
01-24-2003, 12:04 AM
ive played with them all. i wont comment on players still living but the dead are fair game. moss was terrible even in his hey day although at no limit holdem he did some really great plays. strauss played headup really good but if you had a few players that would have the nerve to look him up, he was easy to beat. stuey never won whenever i played with him as he just threw away his money. in limit it was like taking candy from the proverbial baby. in no limit you just had to play for all your chips every hand with him or he would run over you.

MCS
01-24-2003, 04:11 AM
Why does everyone think Moss is so great then?

balt999
01-24-2003, 05:44 PM
THe worst "Poker Professionals" are the ones who claimed to be the best, but are always on the rail asking everyone and their brothers to stake them...just fill in the blank on names.

M2d
01-24-2003, 06:25 PM
OK Johnny was pretty bad. Worse than Puggy, I think

Big Al
01-24-2003, 06:28 PM
I agree with Ray that Stu Unger is overrated. I played against him many times in limit, and Ray is exactly right, he just threw his money away. You would scratch your head at some things he would do, almost like a tourist who has no concept or clue. Cant comment on his tourney or no limit play though....Big Al

snakehead
01-25-2003, 03:48 AM
In the most overrated category, I agree that you start with WSOP winners and pick a name.

oh really? how about chris ferguson or barry johnston?

Timer
01-25-2003, 10:08 PM
<font color="red">I agree with Fossilman. Puggy Pearson is the most over rated poker player of all time. He is also a few other things I'm not going to mention. </font color>