PDA

View Full Version : How long do you wait to exercise after you eat?

brassnuts
06-21-2005, 08:30 PM
People usually say 20-30 minutes. I usually wait at least an hour.

Yeti
06-21-2005, 08:31 PM
Exercise?

sublime
06-21-2005, 08:31 PM
currently i have waited like a year. want to make sure i fully digested that meal from lasty may,

billyjex
06-21-2005, 08:39 PM
it depends. if i'm just lifting i can go right after. if i'm running i want an hour+

Macdaddy Warsaw
06-21-2005, 08:39 PM
I wait about an hour, but I usually exercise after breakfast which is usually cold cereal and it doesn't begin to sit well until about an hour after I've eaten.

brassnuts
06-21-2005, 08:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it depends. if i'm just lifting i can go right after. if i'm running i want an hour+

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I meant cardio.

stankybank
06-21-2005, 08:42 PM
I've heard from a trainer at Bally's that you should wait 1 1/2 hours after you eat before you exercise and to wait 1 1/2 hours after you exercise until you eat.

So don't eat before or after you exercise unless 1 1/2 hours have passed.

Personally, I like to wait 30 min for a light workout and 1 hr for a heavy one. Or else I start to feel lazy and want to throw up.

Blarg
06-21-2005, 08:44 PM
I usually like to wait at least an hour, preferably more, unless it's just a "quick pick me up" meal eaten to keep from feeling like I'm starving. Like something easily digestible that charges me up, like an apple or an orange or something. I can eat that much, feel a little charged up and normal again, and still be able to exercise without feeling discomfort in under an hour.

Ideally, if it's a big meal or it's been a day since I've taken a crap, I like a couple hours to get my food working through my system and see if I can take a crap before exercising. I'm usually a lot, uh, "lighter on my feet" and energetic during a work-out, or all day, if I've pinched a loaf before working out. Plus, I'd rather do it at home than interrupt a run to take a crap or something. And finding a clean-ish public bathroom isn't always all that easy, either.

wacki
06-21-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
currently i have waited like a year. want to make sure i fully digested that meal from lasty may,

[/ QUOTE ]

Just curious how much do you weigh?

atnels
06-21-2005, 08:46 PM
Simply put, it's all about blood distribution. Digesting takes up blood, which deprives other areas of your body (i.e. muscles) from getting oxygen. An hour each way is pretty standard.

Eating too quickly before you work out will decrease your workout efficiency, eating too soon after will make you sleepy because now there isn't enough blood to go around.

sublime
06-21-2005, 08:48 PM

245. very thick shoulders and arms, im not all fat. mostly though.

brassnuts
06-21-2005, 08:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This describes me perfectly.

OtisTheMarsupial
06-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Don't worry too much about it. Just get out and work out. It's way more important to exercise regularly than to sit around worrying and posting to OOT.

I have never had a problem workinng out after eating. If you do, then don't do it.

kerssens
06-21-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the last part of that is wrong. I've always read/heard that you should eat as quickly as possible after a workout. An even mix of carbs and protein.

Blackjack
06-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Screw all those wives' tales. I'll swim right after I ate. Damned with the throwup.

Blackjack

ceyoung
06-21-2005, 09:23 PM
you should really eat before and after you work out. its called "bracketing"

something along these lines before and after working out.

20-30g whey protein shake
20g simple carbs (dextrose is best)

you can mix the dextrose directly into the protein shake because its a non-sweet sugar. meaning, the shake will taste pretty much the same.

oreogod
06-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Work out before u eat.

If I eat a full meal and want to work out after...Im waiting atleast 2 hours.

Reef
06-21-2005, 09:38 PM
cardio - 4 hrs
lifting - 1 hr

lu_hawk
06-21-2005, 09:55 PM
until i don't feel full anymore. time depends on how much i just ate. i also wait about 45 minutes to eat after i workout. if i eat right after a workout i get the shits.

Russ McGinley
06-21-2005, 09:58 PM
What about when waking up? Some people say work out then have a whey protein shake or vice versa. Is there a difference?

ceyoung
06-21-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What about when waking up? Some people say work out then have a whey protein shake or vice versa. Is there a difference?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's pretty close. some people think that it helps to burn more fat to do cardio on an empty stomach. others don't. the main thing to remember is to always eat after cardio. and, to always eat before and after lifting. post workout nutrition is the most important part of a diet.

M2d
06-21-2005, 10:16 PM
I usually work out first thing after I wake up in the morning, so 6-8 hours.

gvibes
06-21-2005, 11:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've heard from a trainer at Bally's that you should wait 1 1/2 hours after you eat before you exercise and to wait 1 1/2 hours after you exercise until you eat.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is half ery wrong. You should definitely be getting simple carbs and fast-release proteins (e.g., dextrose + whey) as soon as possible after lifting.

wacki
06-21-2005, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif Somehow all the talk of a very handsome lady killer had me imagining something a little leaner. Now I'm confused.

kerssens
06-21-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif Somehow all the talk of a very handsome lady killer had me imagining something a little leaner. Now I'm confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

He could be 6'8"

wacki
06-22-2005, 11:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]