PDA

View Full Version : A WTF check-raise HU

sweetjazz
06-21-2005, 05:53 PM
Opponent in this hand is very bad. He's loose PF, but doesn't raise very often PF. He's also made some comments in the box berating the "bad play" of others, in which he's made it clear he does not understand how to play beyond looking at his own two cards. This is the first he has tried to steal my BB and I suspect his raise is a fairly premium hand. He also plays pretty passively postflop and keeps talking about he's laying down hands on the later streets because his kicker is weak or because he only has middle pair.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero ???

sthief09
06-21-2005, 06:09 PM
this is a bluff often enough to call.

EDIT: I did not see your read on him. you didn't mention his aggression postflop. it's hard to say without knowing him. against someone typical you're good enough to call. against him he probably has AK, AA, or KK. if he's slightly retarded he could have QQ

Derek in NYC
06-21-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
doesn't raise very often PF.

This is the first he has tried to steal my BB and I suspect his raise is a fairly premium hand.

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your read, why did you bother completing? Risk of domination holding a hand with K is going to be high against an opponent like this.

sthief09
06-21-2005, 06:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
doesn't raise very often PF.

This is the first he has tried to steal my BB and I suspect his raise is a fairly premium hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given your read, why did you bother completing? Risk of domination holding a hand with K is going to be high against an opponent like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

because there are 3 more streets and he plays bad

sweetjazz
06-21-2005, 06:20 PM
That is my default line, but this particular opponent was very weak postflop and gave signs of being incapable of bluffing. At the same time, this might be related to your "mathmetical" look at the board, which just doesn't have very many "big hand" possibilities in it. I am not sure villain would raise with K9s here in the SB, though it's possible.

OTOH, it is possible that he's badly playing TT - QQ here, or he has A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif x /images/graemlins/diamond.gif.

sweetjazz
06-21-2005, 06:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would fold K7o against this opponent if he had the button after the flop. But being in position, I can play this pretty easily postflop (or so I thought). I was debating in my head which boards I would call a flop bet, with the intention of trying to steal the pot on the turn. (Villain folded too much after the flop.) When I flopped a king, this became a straightforward WA/WB line -- until I got check-raised on the turn.

Derek in NYC
06-21-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant believe both of these statements simulataneously. With a hand like K7o, the deck needs to hit you pretty damned hard on the flop in order for a guy holding a premium hand to make a mistake. You're much more likely than normal to be drawing to 3 outs at best.

Generally bad players will, at a minimum, call down HU with a premium hand (even something like AK unimproved). There is zero semi-bluff value against these players. So in order for you to take K7o to showdown, you really need a miracle flop. This is a turbo fold for me if you trust your read.

EDITED: I just took a closer look at your read, and noticed that you say he claims to fold marginal hands on late streets, so maybe he's more weak-tight postflop than loose-passive. If so, you're hoping to hit a pair when he doesnt, then raise him on 4th street. Maybe. I still dont like calling preflop raises against tight non-stealers (e.g., PFR &lt;5% with normal to loose VPIP)

baronzeus
06-21-2005, 07:21 PM
This is probably a better king or a set or AA from what I've seen in the past.