PDA

View Full Version : I'm only 20 and I already have Carpal Tunnel

MEbenhoe
06-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Sweet! Post #2500

Its been a little over a year on 2+2 for me and here I am at carpal/tunnel status (admittedly had I never found OOT I’d just be cracking Pooh Bah status instead). So at this wonderful “milestone” I decided to reflect back on my time here at 2+2, I mean that is the cool thing to do now right?

My first post ever was me giving advice to a poster who asked for a good 7 card stud book to read. I felt the need to point out the only 7 card stud book I’d ever read and tell him it was brilliant. From there within my first 100 posts I managed to get into an argument in a thread where it was me on one side, Ed Miller, Mason, and Clarkmeister on the other side. Somehow I was convinced I was right. Now I’m glad they knocked some sense into my head and pretty much ended my original arrogant attitude, allowing me to actually learn something from this site.

About a month in I finally became convinced to step it up to the big time and play online. I started out at Planet Poker with $200 playing ½ and 2/4. Bankroll management was specialty of course. Between there and eventually Poker Stars I was able to build up that original deposit into $1800 and then lose it all except $34.12 in one weekend. After some time thinking things over and with some advice from fellow posters I got back to work. I started out playing .25/.50 on Stars until I had $150. Then I played .50/1 6 max and from there wouldn’t move up to ½ until I actually had 300 BBs or more and so on for further limits. Around this same time, I spent a weekend at Schneids’ apartment in the twin cities as I was up there to see the Yankees play the Twins in the playoffs and play some at Canterbury. That same weekend, gonores happened to be staying there as well. From that date forth I’ve had the opportunity to pick the brains of two great players whenever I want (and I’ve probably annoyed them a few times as well), but having them as resources (and eventually BK as well) has been so invaluable to me. I can honestly say I probably wouldn’t know half of what I know about poker if it wasn’t for these 3 guys. Schneids has also been invaluable for being my place to stay anytime I visit the Cities.

My poker playing from that point on has had a nice trend to it. I build up my bankroll to a good amount, I go buy a car, I build it up again, I have to repair my car and other random expenses come up, I build it up again, I have to buy stuff for my house, repair car again, and pay bills from my bankroll because I quit my job. Luckily for me right now, with the last remains of my once healthy bankroll sitting in reserve to pay bills for a few months, I have the ability to play up to 5/10 6 max thanks to a stake from a fellow 2+2er. This type of confidence from someone I know is a very good player is very much appreciated and makes me think I’ve come a long way in the course of a year.

Things I’m proud of that I’ve done in my time at 2+2:

Having an article published in the May magazine, and another set to appear in the September issue. 2+2 just keeps finding ways to make me money whether it is direct or indirect.

Putting together the 6 max starting hand chart from things I’d learned and pieced together myself. Every once in awhile I get a PM or read a post from someone saying how much it helped them in learning the ½ 6 max game, and I think that’s cool.

Learning to not be such an arrogant little prick all the time. Yes I’ve finally come to terms with the fact that I may in fact not be god’s gift to poker.

So where do I go from here? I will admit I have quite lofty goals for my future poker playing. By the end of the summer I’d like to have the roll to play 10/20. By June 2006, I want to have the money to make a trip out to the west coast, hit up Vegas and some other spots. And by June 2007 I want to have the roll to play 30/60-50/100. Whether or not I achieve all of these remains to be seen, but thanks to this site I have as good of a chance as any.

Now because these threads always have a big list of thank you’s at the end.

Thanks to all of you I’ve met in person, you’ve all been great people:

Schneids, Gonores, bicyclekick, Edge34, Uncle Milo, AndyB, BurnsvilleCardClub, Fudgenut, and all the people from the 2+2 game at Canterbury who’s names on here I cant remember

Special thanks to Nolanfan34 for all the girl advice (heck the guy is a nerd and still managed to get Mrs Nolanfan to marry him, so he’s gotta know something right) and all the advice on my writing

Thanks to all the 2+2 authors

Thanks to all the people I’ve learned so much from whether you know it or not:

Clarkmeister, El Diablo, GoT, The Dude, Sublime, sthief09, Nate tha’Great, and all the people I can’t think of off the top of my head (so if you feel left out pretend this is you)

One final special thanks to Dr. Al, Psychology of Poker probably did more for my game than any other single book has.

popniklas
06-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Nice job, and good luck in the future.

Now what in the world does Carpal/Tunnel mean? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MEbenhoe
06-21-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's Carpal \'Tunnel, and I have no clue.

theRealMacoy
06-21-2005, 06:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nice job, and good luck in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

...easiest way to fix that carpal tunnel problem of yours is to get a girlfriend....

....but seriously, really enjoyed the SSHE book club posts you organized among others. keep up the good work.

cheers,
the Real Macoy

phardwid
06-21-2005, 07:08 PM
Have you updated your 6max starting hands chart to include play from the blinds?

mscags
06-21-2005, 07:17 PM
Can I get a link to that 6-max chart?

mute
06-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Congrats on the title. Just wanted to thank you for the chart also. Though I suck at SH, the chart has helped me suck less.

All you ever didn't want to know about Carpal/Tunnel (http://www.carpaltunnels.com/cts/carpaltunnel.html)

terrapin314
06-21-2005, 07:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to see that also!

MEbenhoe
06-21-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would love to see that also!

[/ QUOTE ]

Link (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=headsup&Number=1897985&fpa rt=1&PHPSESSID=)

Clarkmeister
06-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Thanks for the kind words. It's always nice to hear how people have been helped. Even if they are a stinkin' Dookie. /images/graemlins/cool.gif