PDA

View Full Version : Question about studying...

dawade
06-21-2005, 05:00 PM
I decided today to study 2+2 ML board for about an hour every day. My question to you guys is do you think it would be more beneficial to study <B>before</B> or after my session?

This is the way I see it, if I study before I will be refreshed a bit, but if I study after I can ask any questions about hands or may actually have had a scenario that was presented by a post already.

ClaytonN
06-21-2005, 05:06 PM
I study 2+2 during sessions and away from sessions. I fail to see much difference in learning in each scenario, but I'm a freak of nature who is good at multitasking 4 things at once.

jrz1972
06-21-2005, 05:06 PM
Some of it probably depends on how much you play and how much mental energy you use up while playing. Generally, I spend a bunch of time in the forums while I'm in the office, but I have no desire to even look at them immediately before or immediately after a session. I want to start my session fresh, and I'm too worn down after a session to want to read a bunch of threads.

But that's just me. Find a rythym you like and go with it.

aK13
06-21-2005, 05:11 PM
I study at work ( /images/graemlins/smirk.gif ) and when I'm playing at night. Even easier to 4 table, talk on AIM, and browse 2+2 now that I got my new 2001FP, and am using my old 19" CRT on the side =).

VBM
06-21-2005, 05:35 PM
personally, i think for players in our strata, time is better spent reviewing our own hand histories after a session.

After I look at them, there's always at least a few hands I wished I played differently.

VoraciousReader
06-21-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Some of it probably depends on how much you play and how much mental energy you use up while playing. Generally, I spend a bunch of time in the forums while I'm in the office, but I have no desire to even look at them immediately before or immediately after a session. I want to start my session fresh, and I'm too worn down after a session to want to read a bunch of threads.

But that's just me. Find a rhythym you like and go with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with the above. I find reading the forums and really THINKING about the HHS, (which I do...many more than I respond to, actually) to be mental work. I don't want to do it right after I play a bunch of poker. I don't want to expend that much brainpower. So if I'm not actually thinking through it, I'm not getting full value out of the posts.

I prefer to separate playing and reading and reviewing the forums.