PDA

View Full Version : Reading for PLO8

Wintermute
06-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Seems like once a week a new player is looking for reading on PLO8. Unfortunately, there's only a few pages in a few books devoted to this game. So here's what I would suggest to those people, as a way to get up and running in PLO8.

1) Learn limit O8. Personally I've never read a book on this, but most here suggest Ray Zee's book, also Ciaffone and Cappelletti seem to be good sources. Look up the Hutchinson system of hand ranking, it'll give you a decent set of guidelines for how to rank O8 starting hands. Play low limit O8 for a while, work your way up the limits as you feel comfortable. Personally, I was playing 10/20 & 20/40 O8 before I ever played a hand of $100 buy-in PLO8.

2) Read up on PLO8 This will take you one hour at most. As I mentioned previously, there's virtually no reading on this game. Online sources are what I've been exposed to... Most folks seem to suggest Steve Badger's site (link (http://www.playwinningpoker.com/), navigate to PLO8 strategy), personally I think his advice is inaccurate/outdated for typical online games, but still useful to read and think about what he has to say. IMO, the definitive PLO8 guide at this point can be found at this site (http://www.winningonlinepoker.com) (again, navigate to PLO8). For the most part, I agree with the ideas here. You'll probably find some aspects of the strategy presented here that you can tweak for improvement, but definitely the most comprehensive and useful PLO8 material I've found.

3. Play PLO8. Starting BR ought to be around 30x the buyin. I'd suggest starting low to gain familiarity with the structure and to practice what you learn from the reading.

Also, 2+2 O8 forum is obviously a decent source for PLO8 hand situational discussions, etc. Look for posts from Ribbo, Gergery, JoshuaMayes, etc. Other PLO8 players might have stuff to add to this... Ribbo's got his own site where he posts some HH's, for example. Greg's working on one too (nice start btw G). Anyway, hopefully this post will give newbie's a place to begin.

pokerswami
06-22-2005, 08:10 AM
regarding the site, http://www.winningonlinepoker.com/,

I wonder if others have the same problem I have trying to view it.

The site home page won't fit on my screen and neither horizontal nor vertical scroll bars appear to allow me to view the unseen areas of the page. This is true with internet explorer and AOL 9.0 browsers. I'd e-mail the site but that info. doesn't appear on my screen. The internal vertical scroll bar appears and works, but that doesn't help me get to hidden areas to the right and to the bottom.

I had visited this site months ago with the same problems.
I don't see a link anywhere for PL O8/B.

I'm sure others experience this.

cjs
06-22-2005, 10:01 AM
I have no problem viewing the site with explorer. You can e-mail them at info@winningonlinepoker.com. He was a big poster on 2+2 at one time.

gergery
06-22-2005, 10:14 AM
under what handle?

cjs
06-22-2005, 10:44 AM
crockpot - I think.

pokerswami
06-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks for your reply. I finally did see the E-mail link on his website.

Below is a copy of part of the E-mail I sent to the site.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I finally figured out what to do. I changed the settings for my monitor to 1024 X 768.
This allowed to view your entire page, but since I usually play poker at 800 X 600 I couldn't previously see everything at your site.

I just wanted to give you a "heads-up" about this because other visitors may have this problem. Other sites I visit either adjust to my monitor settings or cause scroll bars to appear that allow me to scroll into the unseen areas.

Regards, pokerswami

[/ QUOTE ]