PDA

View Full Version : Unsure about this turn play

Rake_in
06-21-2005, 04:23 PM
These players were all unknowns.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="blue">Hero.. </font>.

<font color="black">Do I raise or call here? Raising will charge spade draws the most, and I can easily fold to a 3bet knowning that I must be beat.</font>

Chuckles1248
06-21-2005, 04:28 PM
I like a raise, but I don't think I can fold to a 3-bet. If you raise, SB bails, and UTG 3-bets, you're getting immediate odds of 9.5 to one with top pair weak kicker and a gutshot. The gutshot needs 11 to 1, but combined with the chance that UTG is betting a medium pocket pair or something like K5, I think I probably want to take this to showdown.

mosta
06-21-2005, 04:33 PM
raise is too likely to fold him. maybe he sticks with his low pair, but the one card most likely to get him to fold is the ace. go for the overcall, and maybe you improve too.

ihardlyknowher
06-21-2005, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
These players were all unknowns.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="blue">Hero.. </font>.

<font color="black">Do I raise or call here? Raising will charge spade draws the most, and I can easily fold to a 3bet knowning that I must be beat.</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call because my kicker sux and I could be drawing very thin if someone has a 4.

mosta
06-21-2005, 05:12 PM
forgot to finish stating perhaps the obvious: too much that calls the raise beats you, like better aces.

einbert
06-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Strongly consider raising the flop.

mosta
06-21-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like a raise, but I don't think I can fold to a 3-bet. If you raise, SB bails, and UTG 3-bets, you're getting immediate odds of 9.5 to one with top pair weak kicker and a gutshot. The gutshot needs 11 to 1, but combined with the chance that UTG is betting a medium pocket pair or something like K5, I think I probably want to take this to showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

you fold the river if you don't improve? or do you go 4 big bets post flop with aces+a 6? or wouldn't you rather just call that turn but?

Borno
06-21-2005, 06:10 PM
raise flop, then see what he does on the turn...

if he still bets, call. If he checks, check behind to induce a bluff

Chuckles1248
06-21-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you fold the river if you don't improve? or do you go 4 big bets post flop with aces+a 6? or wouldn't you rather just call that turn but?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, I think I was thinking a bit to LAGgy earlier, even right after my post I realized that raising costs way too much if we're behind. Now I think I call and call a river bet or bet if checked to.

Rake_in
06-21-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
raise flop, then see what he does on the turn...

if he still bets, call. If he checks, check behind to induce a bluff

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like checking behind on the turn because I'm giving a free card to anyone on the flush draw. The reasons for not raising the turn make sense to me - they outweigh the reasons for raising, and having to call a 3bet on the turn but folding the river unimproved would be a killer.

Yort Mada
06-21-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way i see it is you floped A high and a inside straight draw, thats not strong enough for a raise imo but i'm sure its just something i'm missing.

can you explain why? i'm making a lot of mistakes if the raise is correct and would like to correct them &lt;3

Rake_in
06-22-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

the way i see it is you floped A high and a inside straight draw, thats not strong enough for a raise imo but i'm sure its just something i'm missing.

can you explain why? i'm making a lot of mistakes if the raise is correct and would like to correct them &lt;3

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got a backdoor flush draw, an inside straight draw and one good overcard. Lets call the backdoor flush draw 1.5 outs, the inside straight draw 3.5 (because the four of spades will complete the flush draw), and the 3 aces as 2 outs (because of the bad kicker). Having 7 outs, raising on the flop for a free card is a good play. Also, by raising the flop, you charge anyone on the flush draw. Looking back, I should've played it this way.

If I had raised the flop, and then got bet into on this turn I would just call down (a bet here after my flop raise is a sign of strength and I don't want to be forced to call a 3bet that I'm getting odds to call).

If on the other hand I had just called the flop, raising the turn might actually be the best play because I'm likely to get a showdown at the same cost as if I had called the turn and a river bet, while at the same time charging spade draws. Additionally, my decision for how to play against a 3bet is easier because there is less money in the pot, making a fold easier.