PDA

View Full Version : Preflop question for a sporadically wild table

Nick C
06-21-2005, 02:13 PM
I played B&M 6/12 for the first time this past weekend (previously, the highest I had played live was 4/8), and I found myself at a table that, in the late-night/early-morning hours, became 6-handed and pretty LAGgy.

There were still a fair number of family pots where the players just limped in, but once anyone made a preflop raise, there was a really good chance the pot was going to get capped. The biggest LAG at the table seemed to like to 3-bet and limp-reraise me in particular (a hand like 86o was good enough for him to do this), especially after I won a couple of huge pots against him. And there was another LAG at the table who tended to cap it off once this happened.

What I'm wondering is this: When the pot is likely to be 4-way or 5-way no matter what I do, but it will also quite likely be either for one bet or four, depending on whether I raise or not, how should this affect my raising standards?

What I did was tighten up on my raising standards, but the cards I was getting sort of dictated this strategy, as I mostly was being dealt garbage or very strong hands. There were a couple of occasions though -- once where I raised a limper with 88 and another time when I open-raised either UTG or in second position with A8s (I forget which) -- when I wondered if I should have taken a different approach.

I encounter the type of table I'm describing from time to time at my B&M, so any advice you may have will likely prove useful to me in the future. In this particular instance, the short-handed nature of the table made me (even) less certain than usual how I should adjust.